Ever feel awkward running into people you know unexpectedly?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ever feel awkward running into people you know unexpectedly?
Yes 81%  81%  [ 26 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Depends on who the person is 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 32

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2010, 4:54 pm

Do any of you feel awkward when this happens?? It seems to happen to me quite often. I especially feel awkward when I run into people from my past. The majority of people I've ran into have been a variety such as high school classmates, teachers, people I used to go to elementary with, distant relatives, neighbours, etc. etc. And I've always hoped that I would never run into these people again. It's not necessarily that I don't like them, it's more that I am unsure how to act when I am around them. Do I look them in the eye? Do I walk in a different direction? Do I look in my pocket pretending to find something that isn't even in there so they can see that I'm busy doing something? What do you do when this happens?? I never say anything to these people unless if they say something to me.

If they come up and talk to me or if they just walk by without even noticing me it's not so bad, but if they recognize me and don't say anything but just like stare at me for a few seconds, it creeps me out. If people who know me don't say anything to me when running into me in public, isn't that a good indication that they do not like me? It kinda hurts.

One story: The last following Saturday me and my dad went to Mr. Sub for lunch (For those of you who are Canadian, you'll obviously recognize that name!) so i can get my normal assorted sub and so my dad can get his normal wrap. When we got there, I saw this fat lady who I see go on the transit bus almost every morning when I go to school. Yes, she looked at me like she obviously knew who I was.

Another story: One Monday afternoon in the summer of 2008, me and my dad went to watch one of my brother's hockey games. We were having a good time, enjoying the food and the hockey playing etc. And then at one point, one of my dad's uncles/aunts who lives in Burlington Ontario came to THIS SAME arena to watch one of their grandchildren play hockey in one of the other rinks. I recognized them first before my dad did and before they recognized us. They eventually recognized my dad and they walked over to our table and of course we all said hi to each other. It was so funny that they ran into us, lol!! They were definitely some of the better people I've ran into though.

And lastly (This was like 3 years ago): For the March Break of 2008, my family and some british friends of ours went to Florida for the break. One of the last days of our trip, my family decided to shop at the Prime Outlet I think it was? in the Orlando area. We went to one of the shoe stores, and then... who do I bump into? A HIGH SCHOOL CLASSMATE I KNEW AT THE TIME!! YIKES!! !! !! !! !! And where do we both live?? OAKVILLE ONTARIO IN CANADA, FURTHER NORTH!! WHAT A DAMN SMALL WORLD THIS IS!! We both ignored each other the whole time we were there, but a couple of weeks later (Apparently I got back from Florida a week earlier than my classmate did), when he got back, in manufacturing class, he comes up and laughs claiming that he saw me. LOL.

So yeah, if you have any strange encounters of running into people you know, please feel free to post them here.

Thanks

http://www.myviewonautismessay.webs.com

Last edited by Corydaman93 on 28 Dec 2010, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 4:55 pm

90% of the time.

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2010, 5:23 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
90% of the time.

That's pretty much the same for me too, lol.

QuelOround
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2010, 6:09 pm

Yeah, I get super uncomfortable. Most of the time I run into people I know but I don't recognize them. So panic is the first thing that sets in because I worry about saying or doing the wrong thing. I have face blindness but usually once they talk or I get close enough to smell them I can figure out who they are.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 6:12 pm

It's what comes with living in a relatively small town for awhile.

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2010, 7:24 pm

Venger wrote:
It's what comes with living in a relatively small town for awhile.

I live in a town that has like 160,000 people but I know what you're saying.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 7:38 pm

I almost always feel uncomfortable randomly bumping into people I know. I don't feel uncomfortable because I dislike them, but only because it sometimes leads into small talk, which I hate doing. Sometimes, we simply smile and say "hi" to each other, which is much less uncomfortable for me, but my anxiety levels escalate whenever they stop and talk to me.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 8:02 pm

Yes, definately, and I usually end up being awkward in such a happening.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 8:40 pm

I am always pissed when I run into someone I work with especially if I had a bad day. I have to deal with these jerk offs for 8-10 hours so when I see them outside of work I feel like my personal space is being trampled upon. I use to have a blockbuster video next to my house where every once in awhile I would run into a co-worker who for whatever reason decide to talk to me asking what I am getting unknowingly ruining my night. It put me into depression that even watching the re-animator could not cure just from a simple hello and a few questions. :x This only happens when I run into co-workers outside of work.

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2010, 11:50 pm

Todesking wrote:
I am always pissed when I run into someone I work with especially if I had a bad day. I have to deal with these jerk offs for 8-10 hours so when I see them outside of work I feel like my personal space is being trampled upon. I use to have a blockbuster video next to my house where every once in awhile I would run into a co-worker who for whatever reason decide to talk to me asking what I am getting unknowingly ruining my night. It put me into depression that even watching the re-animator could not cure just from a simple hello and a few questions. :x This only happens when I run into co-workers outside of work.

I feel your pain on this one. I ESPECIALLY hate it when people I run into ask what I am buying or what am I doing here etc. etc. It's like it's NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!! LEAVE ME ALONE!!

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2010, 4:27 pm

Sometimes I will hide from them, so they can't see me . :roll:

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2010, 4:54 pm

Jessi_in_wonderland wrote:
Sometimes I will hide from them, so they can't see me . :roll:

Haha, same here. This is especially when they are a further distance away from me.

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2010, 3:23 pm

bump

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jan 2011, 6:28 pm

This thread should stay UP!!

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm

I voted "depends", but I almost voted "no" because if I like the person, I usually don't feel awkward. However, I do feel awkward if I don't like the person. Once I saw someone I didn't like on the bus, I didn't even talk to her, and I STILL felt awkward! She didn't see me, but I kept worrying she would. I saw her on the bus another time and she DID she me, but didn't talk to me.

I once ran into my favourite teacher, who was on a leave at the mall, and I totally stunned! (Because I really want to see him and didn't know when he'd be returning). That was awkward for the first couple of seconds, but then I got over it.

I am always worried that I will go up the person and say "Hi____________!" and it will just be a look-alike. So, I have started just going up to them and saying "Excuse me, but you look like one of my friends" or something like that.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 3:55 pm

Definitely. I loathe unexpectedly encounters with people who I am familiar with. At the time, I perceive it as an abomination.