Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 8:28 pm

My earliest memory was probably around two or three years of age.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 8:31 pm

I don't remember my birth, but being a visual Aspie, I need to go sear that image out of my brain.... I'm thinking Evanescence at about 10 decibels above hearing loss level... 8O

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 8:34 pm

i wouldnt want to remember my own birth
my mum said theere was a lot of blood

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 9:44 pm

I remember my birth. (Or at least part of it.)

I remember being in one of those incubators (I was born premature) and I could see people walking around.

I told my older sister this but she said that it was impossible for people to remember their births, how I probably just imagined it, etc.

merr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 10:55 pm

To be able to remember events that happened in the womb and at birth would mean that some babies are born with exceptional brain development that takes years of experience to mold into the mind of a two to three year old, or even so before then in order to remember anything from the womb. Children experience so many developmental changes and growth within the first two years alone that is amazing to think all that could happen before leaving the womb. Our brain develops at such as amazing speed during the first years of life;we dont see this much growth at at such rapid speed at any other stage of life. This suggests that at birth we have an exceptionally small amount than what we would have at age 3. It just doesnt sound very scientific, unless there is a study somewhere concerning brain development and early memory. I would think that the "inability to trust eyewitness accounts to a fault" theory would apply here. Watching telelvison of people in the hospital, seeing pictures or videos of others or your own, or hearing the events over and over may put things into our current memory that didn't exist or were slightly different than before. It would be interesting if we could study perception and feelings of terror, happiness, safety, etc, but it would be nearly impossible to have reliable data that has not been compromised by experience.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 1:18 am

no..i don't remember my birth, but a long time ago I used to think I had a repeated dream about a past life. As a child, I would always fall asleep in the car and then dream I was on a horse-drawn cart riding to someplace near the sea...and there were always these glass balls in nets (floaters?)..hanging off the cart.
I now think I was just getting the images from the Greek restauraunt where my parents and i always ate.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 1:34 am

My earliest memories are from 2-3. From birth to about 3 we were in Ohio. From 3 to about 6 we were in Texas. I get parts of Ohio and Texas mixed up.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 2:48 am

It is physiologically impossible to remember one's own birth. The hippocampus functions differently after the age of about three, so no long-term memories are retained from before that period. Such memories are merely reconstructions, and often seem exactly like real memories, but they aren't.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 3:05 am

No.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 12:32 pm

merr wrote:
It just doesnt sound very scientific, unless there is a study somewhere concerning brain development and early memory. I would think that the "inability to trust eyewitness accounts to a fault" theory would apply here. Watching telelvison of people in the hospital, seeing pictures or videos of others or your own, or hearing the events over and over may put things into our current memory that didn't exist or were slightly different than before. It would be interesting if we could study perception and feelings of terror, happiness, safety, etc, but it would be nearly impossible to have reliable data that has not been compromised by experience.

Young children are especially vulnerable to "source confusion," meaning that they don't know if a particular memory was something they actually experienced, or something which was suggested to them. That's why they must be questioned so carefully during child abuse investigations. They very readily incorporate even slightly suggestive comments from investigators into their stories in very creative ways. They're not lying- their brains just haven't developed enough to be able to make these kinds of distinctions. I don't believe anyone can remember their own birth, by the way.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 12:49 pm

I remember PRE-Natal - en vitro. So that gives you an idea. The birth itself was bloody traumatic. If I was holding a tribunal today - I'd bring every single bloody doctor to trial who thought it was good medicine to drug mothers, keep them tethered to the bed, forcing babies out with all sorts of mechanical means and then slapping the sh*t out of them to make them cry - all the while bright lights, screams and frantic commands are being shouted throughout and charge them with crimes against humanity.

Then to rip the baby away, swaddle them so they can't move, put them in plastic enclosures and whisk them off to a place called a *nursery* where they're isolated away from their mothers, no touch, no soothing, no calming - only to be ogled at through some pathetic glass window. Is anyone surprised why entire generations are majorly fckd up?

What a nightmare. Birth in the dark ages. Now we're seeing the results - obesity, emotional problems, phobias, attachment issues and eating disorders of the worst kind.

merr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 6:19 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
merr wrote:
It just doesnt sound very scientific, unless there is a study somewhere concerning brain development and early memory. I would think that the "inability to trust eyewitness accounts to a fault" theory would apply here. Watching telelvison of people in the hospital, seeing pictures or videos of others or your own, or hearing the events over and over may put things into our current memory that didn't exist or were slightly different than before. It would be interesting if we could study perception and feelings of terror, happiness, safety, etc, but it would be nearly impossible to have reliable data that has not been compromised by experience.

Young children are especially vulnerable to "source confusion," meaning that they don't know if a particular memory was something they actually experienced, or something which was suggested to them. That's why they must be questioned so carefully during child abuse investigations. They very readily incorporate even slightly suggestive comments from investigators into their stories in very creative ways. They're not lying- their brains just haven't developed enough to be able to make these kinds of distinctions. I don't believe anyone can remember their own birth, by the way.
Very interesting. One of my professors told my class about a true story of a girl who believed she was sexually bused b her father, when infact she never was. I dont remember how they proved this, but it must have been devastating and confusing for both of them.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 7:31 pm

merr wrote:
To be able to remember events that happened in the womb and at birth would mean that some babies are born with exceptional brain development that takes years of experience to mold into the mind of a two to three year old, or even so before then in order to remember anything from the womb. Children experience so many developmental changes and growth within the first two years alone that is amazing to think all that could happen before leaving the womb. Our brain develops at such as amazing speed during the first years of life;we dont see this much growth at at such rapid speed at any other stage of life. This suggests that at birth we have an exceptionally small amount than what we would have at age 3. It just doesnt sound very scientific, unless there is a study somewhere concerning brain development and early memory. I would think that the "inability to trust eyewitness accounts to a fault" theory would apply here. Watching telelvison of people in the hospital, seeing pictures or videos of others or your own, or hearing the events over and over may put things into our current memory that didn't exist or were slightly different than before. It would be interesting if we could study perception and feelings of terror, happiness, safety, etc, but it would be nearly impossible to have reliable data that has not been compromised by experience.

I don't know. I have memories that seem to be around 2months! Some things seemed surreal and I BELIEVED I was about 5 or so, though I had later memories that seemed to make them earlier, and I found out that some were 2 or 3! I was told that one memory I had, that was just after I turned four, was not real! HEY, THERE ARE PICTURES! There are NO pictures of the trailer, and I never told my mother about it, but, when I ASKED about the trip we took, I was told that they all had trailers!

A baby really DOES have to learn a lot. There have been a lot of lies told about babies, that have since been accepted as totally untrue. Some now claim the brain is like 60+% FAT! They also claim autistic brains are denser than normal brains! Isn't it possible that a babys brain could be denser? I mean everything else is a different relative size, and the metabolism is different.

That said, I don't think I ever remembered any of my birth. Then again, I have found a LOT of VERY old memories. BTW, I am in my 40s, and I could STILL map out, and describe, parts of a home in glendale I left before 2yo. I have since only seen the outside ONCE since when my mother said "We used to live in that house".

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 7:35 pm

merr wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
merr wrote:

Very interesting. One of my professors told my class about a true story of a girl who believed she was sexually bused b her father, when infact she never was. I dont remember how they proved this, but it must have been devastating and confusing for both of them.

Could be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confabulation

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 8:52 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
A baby really DOES have to learn a lot. There have been a lot of lies told about babies, that have since been accepted as totally untrue. Some now claim the brain is like 60+% FAT! They also claim autistic brains are denser than normal brains! Isn't it possible that a babys brain could be denser? I mean everything else is a different relative size, and the metabolism is different.

Our neurons have a fatty coating in order to make them work more quickly and more efficiently. Autistic brains are thought to have a more widespread amount of this neuronal coating, thus making the brain larger.