Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 3:49 pm

I've already failed 3 and a half courses in university, this is not going well:S

SunConure
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2011, 4:06 pm

I'm sorry you're having a hard time in school. Do you want advice? I usually got good grades in college.

Better luck next semester.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 4:53 pm

It's like a football game. Please look at it like a football game. You can lose three in a row, for whatever reason, and then win the next three.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2011, 4:58 pm

Try to figure out why you failed those three classes and adjust accordingly.
I for example had to drop classes for awhile because I was WAY too optimistic about what I could get done in a semester.
After that I made sure I only had one hard class per semester so that I could really focus.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 5:03 pm

jedaustin wrote:
. . . After that I made sure I only had one hard class per semester so that I could really focus.

I kind of do that, too. I call it only one 'technical' course per semester, and by that I mean a course that is heavily mathematical which can include economics or astronomy, esp if I really get into it.

Now, narrative classes like history or content classes, say like anthropology, I can take a couple of.

I also experiment with pre-studying (couldn't do this so much in high school because of the sheer boredom factor).

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 7:10 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
jedaustin wrote:
. . . After that I made sure I only had one hard class per semester so that I could really focus.

I kind of do that, too. I call it only one 'technical' course per semester, and by that I mean a course that is heavily mathematical which can include economics or astronomy, esp if I really get into it.

Now, narrative classes like history or content classes, say like anthropology, I can take a couple of.

I also experiment with pre-studying (couldn't do this so much in high school because of the sheer boredom factor).

In my first quarter at Rasmussen I took their only astronomy course. I was kinda bummed out that the textbook for it was merely this: The Universe & Beyond.

JC6Chan, what is your actual difficulty? Is the coursework itself difficult or its quantity or some other area? Try to determine what the difficulty is and seek to reduce it in your next semester/quarter would be my (hopefully not too simplistic) advice.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 10:35 pm

The course is intro to zoology. Its really boring. Pretty much you go through each organism, learn about certain characteristics, and memorize it.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2011, 10:39 pm

Ah! I call that BORING TEACHER SYNDROME.
The right teacher can make any class you take interesting and memorable.
Unfortunately too many teachers aren't passionate about their material and make a class with lots of facts almost meaningless to take.
Seek alternate ways to learn the material that make it more interesting- even youtube.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 9:21 am

jc6chan wrote:
The course is intro to zoology. Its really boring. Pretty much you go through each organism, learn about certain characteristics, and memorize it.

Well, the data regarding these creatures is not unique to any textbook, no? Why not, instead of reading through a boring text, find clips on youtube which explain the same data in a possibly more lively manner. Otherwise, try to find some other method of acquiring the same data that is more appealing to you than the manner of the textbook.