Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

twoface17
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2011, 6:07 pm

I know someone closely that works for an autism group called AEA. She asked me if I wanted to read a poem about my life with Asperger's Syndrome to a group of people. I asked her how many people and she said around 300.

I can read in front of a class, but wow...around 300 people. I hope that I get over my fear.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 6:48 pm

You can do it. At times I've thought of public speaking as easy; yes it does make me nervous but it seems to me there is less pressure than a social gathering as you're in control of the situation

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Jan 2011, 6:55 pm

The times I have done public speaking and theater I was barely aware of the people watching.

I did have stage fright, but once I was on stage, that became actual energy.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 7:04 pm

You should do it. You could educate a lot of people. Go for it! 8)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 7:18 pm

I recently read a poem in front of a very small gathering. During the reading, I was completely focused on communicating the feeling of my words. Afterward I was pretty much overloaded. But I survived and it was well received. The thing is, it would have been no different with 300 people. The reading would be the same focus on communicating. Afterward, I would need a place to come down.

FlintsDoorknob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2011, 8:19 pm

Just psych yourself up for it!! Keep telling yourself its no different than reading it infront of your class. Keep pumping positive thought sinto your head and you'll be more confident about it!

Good luck btw.

LongJohnSilver
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2011, 8:45 pm

I find that familiarizing myself with the material I will present helps me a lot. The better I know my material, the less often I have trouble delivering it to my audience, no matter what its size. Be sure you read your poem aloud to yourself many times, to the point where you start to recite it in your sleep, as it were, and you should have no trouble. Just remember to look up once in a while and pretend to look at your audience. This seems to attract the attention of the audience, and your audience will think your poem was even more interesting than it really was. - LJS

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2011, 11:45 pm

I'm assuming they are all people who will only be there because they want to hear what you have to say etc. They will be more interested in you than a class would be. So you don't really have anything to worry about.