What Jehova's Witnesses believe (animated short)

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 2:11 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw1Vg8HsMK4&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 4:06 pm

Nice!

I gotta say, though, the one about the Mormons is more entertaining.

TenFaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2011, 5:08 pm

Jehova's Witnesses are a subgroup of Christians who deny the idea that you go to Heaven or Hell upon death. They say that you're dead until resurrection. They deny the GrecoRoman Tartaros myth where you burn in Hell forever. They believe that the sinful stay in Sheol, the Hebrew version of Hades. They disavow the Trinity. They refuse to worship government and supposedly refuse to go to war. Their attitudes are closer to real Hebrew ideas than most Christians. Most of them that I have met very pleasant.
However, they seem to be a tad bit brainwashed and controlled. That is also what I hear about them. I like some of their ideas, but I don't like being controlled.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 6:00 pm

My wife and I laughed hysterically when we watched this. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 7:05 pm

I think the weirdest thing about Jehovah's Witnesses is that they don't celebrate anything. They're not even allowed to celebrate their own birthday! What a sad life that must be.

I remember I went to elementary school with a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses. I asked one of them if he ever got any "presents" despite the fact that he can't celebrate his birthday. He said his parents would just buy him stuff here and there. Odd, but at least he wasn't completely devoid of gifts.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 8:35 pm

The part that makes me laugh is when he says "...disintegrated by God, totally destroyed forever." I don't know why it's so funny...

What Biblical evidence is there for that?

@TenFaces: I'm not going to go on at length about JW in this thread. I don't think they are really that much like the ancient Hebrews. True Hebraic worship probably died out long before Jesus came and before the destruction of the second Temple. The concept of Hell, while not itself is part of the OT, is not a new concept to the ancient world. The prophet Zoroaster probably presented the first extra-Biblical idea of hell, and some have argued that Jesus got His teachings on Hell from Zoroaster. It's likely the concept of Hell predated even Zoroaster, though, and it is unnecessary to assume that Hell was unknown to the ancient Israelites. There are, after all, all kinds of things NOT in the OT, yet they remain just as true. But it is clear that Mosaic Judaism was long lost by Jesus' time. The impression I get is that Jesus doctrinally restored the spirit of the Law and the Prophets. In terms of culture, Christianity as a whole is far removed from this ancient religion, but it probably remains very true to the spirit of it. JWs are very nice, well-mannered people and perhaps know the Bible better than most Christians. But their beliefs are NOT consistent with mainstream, orthodox Christianity. I would consider them an authoritarian, pseudo-Christian cult.

quesonrias
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2011, 8:43 pm

sorry...a little bit sidetracked...did anyone else see that dragon in the clouds on earth???

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
RAADS-R: 187.0
Language: 15.0 • Social Relatedness: 81.0 • Sensory/Motor: 52.0 • Circumscribed Interests: 40.0

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 165 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

TenFaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2011, 10:42 pm

AngelRho, I know the Jehova's Witnesses are not the same as ancient Hebrews. They don't follow Mosaic dietary law. I simply said that their denial of immediate judgement and Heaven upon death and their non Trinitarianism is closer to Hebrew than is say "born again" or Catholic versions. I realize Witnesses have their own strange ideologies.
Their founder C Taze Russell seemed to tend toward mind control. As I noted, they seem pleasant, but also very controlled. I believe they think they will be resurrected on Earth. And yes, Judgement Day and Hell seem Zoroastrian.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 11:21 pm

All religions deviate from the Christianity that the Bible teaches, Jehovahs Witneses are the closest, though they the go too far by teaching doctrines of men. They will disfellowship you if you dont follow there doctrines, disfellowshipping is a spiritual version of being stoned to death, so, for instance, if they catch you smoking, they will in effect stone you to death for it.

Despite generally claiming to stick to what the Bible says, they do however, lead people away from perhaps the most important act for salvation, which is to partake of the Bread and the Wine that represents Jesus Flesh and his blood, at thier yearly Passover, or memorial, they pass it around and are told by thier leaders that they must refuse it, saying its just for the highest tier, the annointed.

Jesus however likened the bread to the Manna from Heaven which fed all the Hebrews and even the foriegners who accompanied them through the wilderness, he didnt liken it to the Holy bread tha was just for the priests, if you didnt eat the manna, you would have died, full stop, just like Jesus says about eating his flesh in John 6

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”

TenFaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2011, 10:25 am

Nambo, you have explained them to me. My intuition about them is correct. They are a brainwashed, controlled sect. Like most Mormons they believe that there will be a ruling elite or an "Elect" in the afterlife who will rule over everyone else. A kind of benevolent dictatorship of immortal rulers leading their obedient subjects. I get it. Their leaders will be the rulers in the afterlife.
Hitler must have persecuted them not only for pacifism, but because only Hitler had the right to brainwash people. They disavow government, but must obey their own masters.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jan 2011, 10:56 am

If anyone wants to actually know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe why not visit their authorized website? I think it is disingenuous to your intellect to be informed of the beliefs of a religion from an unauthorized, animated video or from rumor instead of actually hearing it from the source. Don't you think?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 11:18 am

Pretty sure the video is an excerpt from a movie Jehova Witnesses made to teach prospective members. Perhaps with cuts or new dubbing.

But the beliefs put on the video are completely accurate to what Jehova Witnesses believe.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 12:03 pm

kxmode wrote:
If anyone wants to actually know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe why not visit their authorized website? I think it is disingenuous to your intellect to be informed of the beliefs of a religion from an unauthorized, animated video or from rumor instead of actually hearing it from the source. Don't you think?

yes. definitely only listen to the mouthpiece of the organization you wish to know more about.

kxmode: i've seen you copy+paste from jw sources many times but i don't think i've ever seen you discuss anything further. to put this in perspective, i propose scientology is the only true belief system and that, unless you get your information directly from http://www.scientology.org/, you cannot say otherwise because you don't know anything about scientology. sure, everything reported about them by outside sources contradicts just about everything they say, but you know how unreliable outside sources can be. better sign up for auditing until things become more.... clear?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 5:02 pm

TenFaces wrote:
And yes, Judgement Day and Hell seem Zoroastrian.

SEEMS Zoroastrian is the key thing to remember. The dates for Zoroaster are really unclear, but the earliest anyone thinks he lived is somewhere around 1500 B.C. The Babylonian civilization dates as far back as the early 3000s B.C., and the idea of a netherworld as a place of torment was already established by this time and clearly predates Zoroaster. The concept of Hell would not have been foreign to the Israelites, nor exclusive to them.

TenFaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2011, 5:23 pm

AngelRho, yes, the Babylonian netherworld is definitely an influence. They were influenced by the Sumerians. The Sumerians had a netherworld much like the Greek Hades. The torments figure in the Ishtar and Tammuz myths of the netherworld. Ishtar seems more Babylonian. The fiery Hell is closer to Greek Tartaros. In some stories it is cold.
The Battles with The Devil and Judgement are what seem Zoroastrian to me.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 10:36 pm

kxmode wrote:

If you really want to worship God rather than a religion, you owe it to yourself to read the following book that was written by a member of the Governing body, maybe you think Jesus is ruling the Governing body or that he puts it in thier minds which way to vote or on "New light", this book, written by an insider, tells what really happens, did you know that even annointed, if they come up with any "New Light" that doesnt fit in with the current "Light", that annointed brother gets disfellowshipped?

RAY FRANZ BOOK