Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 11:26 pm

Last night, I saw a commercial for some Jillian Michaels product. I pointed to her and I said, "I hate you."

So anyway. Today, I tried making the shake with milk. It wasn't bad... and then I got the aftertaste. Still nasty. I tried adding some sugar and the aftertaste got a tiny bit better. After salt, it mostly went away.

I'm not going to drink it regularly, though. I'm going to wait until I can get the kind I had wanted before.

Lately, I've been walking about an hour before I go to bed. Today, finally, I walked for 20 minutes as soon as I got up. I don't really know why I'd been putting it off so much. I just had been.

Edit: I had a headache as I typed that, and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out, that protein shake apparently has MSG and soy (in spite of being whey protein) in it. Fantastic.

Yeah. I'm going to go ahead and hold off on that drink for... well, I'm not going to drink it at all.

Edit2: It seems that the other protein shake I was looking at has it, too... In fact, it seems that whey protein concentrates and isolates have MSG just as a general rule.

Last edited by MrLoony on 19 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mra1200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm

MrLoony wrote:
I tried adding some sugar and the aftertaste got a tiny bit better. After salt, it mostly went away.

Congrats, you're not certified to work in the food industry. Tastes bad? Just add copious amounts of salt and sugar! :D

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:05 am

mra1200 wrote:
MrLoony wrote:
I tried adding some sugar and the aftertaste got a tiny bit better. After salt, it mostly went away.

Congrats, you're not certified to work in the food industry. Tastes bad? Just add copious amounts of salt and sugar! :D

Bah. I said a LITTLE sugar and salt.

Salt actually works really well to kill bitter flavors (see this episode of Good Eats). I'd use less sugar next time, but... well... like I said, I'm not going to be drinking that at all.

Edit: By the way, salt also helps with blending flavors. I add a bit of salt into my tea to help kill the bitterness of the caffeine and to help it blend a bit with the agave nectar.

Last edited by MrLoony on 20 Jan 2011, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 2:47 am

I found protein powders that don't have MSG (I found one casein one... but none in town and only one online... and it's rather expensive). Rice protein is the way to go for me, it seems.

It's like the universe is saying, "Be a vegetarian! It's totally cool!"

If I mix 6 heaping tablespoons of it into my water, that should be about what I need... in the right amount of water (also helps that I'd be drinking it throughout the day). I'll try it with plain water and if it doesn't work well, I'll go with milk or go with plain rice protein powder and mix a few tablespoons into my tea.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:30 pm

MrLoony wrote:
So I should explain some things:

I don't go to Wal-mart. My mom does. I go to a different store. If one of us needs something from the other store, we give the other some money and they pick it up.

So that protein mix that I asked my mom to get at Wal-mart? They were out. She, figuring it was better than nothing, got JIllian Michaels protein mix ($10, 15 servings of 15g of protein each). Even though it wasn't going to get me to my protein intake needs, I decided to try it anyway. That was quite an ordeal. I had heard that shaking is better than spoon-mixing, so I tried to use various containers my mom has (I have similar containers), but it always leaked. I ended up having to mix it by hand.

I was going to compare it to diet soda, light beer, and boiled spinach combined, but I realized that that's an insult to all three of those. Seriously, it was nasty. I couldn't drink it. My mom tends to be able to eat and drink things I can't, so I offered it to her. She didn't mind the taste.

I am told that it tastes better when mixed with milk. I'll try that later tonight to see if that works, but I don't have high hopes.

Seriously. I think what they did was just put in whey protein, pure cacao, and then, well... I have no idea what made up the rest.

GNCs self-branded whey protein mixes aren't bad, I actually enjoy their chocolate and vanilla flavored ones. its a bit pricey though, but it helps.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:35 pm

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me when there's no way to tell whether or not the whey isolate or concentrate has MSG.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 7:53 am

MrLoony wrote:
Unfortunately, that doesn't help me when there's no way to tell whether or not the whey isolate or concentrate has MSG.

ahh. You got an allergy to it or it triggers migraines for ya? I know a few people like that. One of them being a bodybuilder. He just stomachs the migraine and continues on. The others completely avoid it though since they actually have life-threatening reactions to it.

All I can really suggest is what you looked into so far, rice protein. I am curious as to whether they have soy protein mixes though, may be worth looking into.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2011, 5:40 pm

I'm not a diet expert or anything, but I must say that adding quinoa and bulgur to your diet is something to consider. They both have high amounts of protein in them and don't have much taste. The only downside is that they aren't cheap ...

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2011, 7:44 pm

I'm also trying to lose weight, but instead of using a scale, I am just going by how I feel every day. And how my clothes feel. They are much looser. I have been doing this since August. I think I have reached about my halfway point but still have ways to go.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 7:59 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
All I can really suggest is what you looked into so far, rice protein. I am curious as to whether they have soy protein mixes though, may be worth looking into.

Soy tends to be processed with something that apparently affects the mind in a similar way to MSG, so I can't do those (yes, they do have them). (Edit: By the way, soybean oil does give me bad headaches)

I had said before, though, that I was going to have to go with rice protein mixes.

asdmonger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2011, 8:36 pm

Awesome blogspot!

Just want to wish you the best on your diet. I am about your height and have been up to 300. Actually, at your age I weighed about 185, but I don't expect to see that again. I've been doing well on the old-fashioned Atkins diet based on the 1999 edition of his book, but it's not for everybody. It's very boring, but I'm one of these people who craves routine to the point where I love eating exactly the same thing at exactly the same time every day. I eat 0 refined or simple carbs, and I feel much better for it.

I think the key to success is finding a diet you can live with and stick to. Most people who try to starve themselves down just get so frustrated and hungry that they can't stick to it. Your approach sounds pretty reasonable to me, just be patient and don't weigh yourself too often. Also remember that there will be periods of time where you won't lose any weight and don't let that discourage you, just stick with it. I say all this based on my personal experience and that of a friend who dropped from 425 down to below 300.

Best of luck.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 5:19 am

Tomorrow is when we hit the current max, which is 30 minutes (we may increase it later, but we're maxxing out at 30 minutes of walking for now).

In a couple weeks, I should be able to get the rice protein (shouldn't take more than a month), at which point I'll start doing the resistance band exercises again.

I'm having trouble figuring out my meals. I split all my meals in two, so I have two breakfasts, two lunches, two dinners (each at half the size of normal). In order to bring it up to 3,000 calories, though, 6 half-meals wouldn't work. It's the other two meals, the snack meals, that cause me trouble. I have to figure out something. I figure that microwaved scrambled eggs will work for one of the snack meals, but I don't know what I'll do for the other one. I could go with another bowl of oatmeal, but for one, it's very small in terms of calories, and two, that's three bowls of oatmeal a day. I can have some mini-nachos (or, rather, about 10-15 chips with some cheese dip) 3-4 times a week, but it's clear I didn't really plan this stuff out very well.

Especially on days where I only get 5-6 hours of sleep, which adds two meals.

For the record, I don't need suggestions on that. I'll figure something out.

Or get some lettuce and make a nice salad with a vinaigrette... Mmmm... Or, even better: Baby spinach leaves.

jackamla
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2011, 12:42 am

Here are some Weight Loss Tips

1. Exercise Regularly
2. Drink plenty of water
3. Eat More Fruits, Vegetables and Whole Grains
4. Eat Frequently, and Eat Slowly
5. Take Control of What You Eat

stevesmith
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2011, 6:10 am

Hi,
I have suggested some tips for weight loss:
1. Drink Water it will help to lose the weight.
2. Exercise regularly .Avoid junk food and fatty food
3. Eat fruits & vegetable as they are low in calories and nutrient dense.Do not skip meals.

Noam
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2011, 8:59 am

Here are my tips for weight loss:

1. Eat only fresh vegetables, fruits, olive oil and nuts [if you like also fresh fish and meat].
2. Don't take any sugar, sugary drinks, fruit juices or processed foods.
3. Eat no dairy, grains, potatoes, bananas or anything made from or with them.
4. Go easy on dates and unprocessed honey.