Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should the authorities ever intervene with weird baby names?
Yes, I would hate to be called Rectum until I was 16 61%  61%  [ 20 ]
No, it's up to the parents 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 33

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 5:15 pm

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-pa ... tyles.html

What's the dumbest name you'eve ever come across? Mine would have to be Leyland (type of British car, it's really like calling your kid Skoda - not like calling them Mercedes or Porsche. Though a kid called Volkswagen would be funnier).

Would you give your child an 'unusual' name?

Also, the fact that Portugal has its own list of approved names is rather sad. That's going to the other extreme. I think there needs to be some intervention by the authorities, though not necessarily having a government department to deal with it (as in Germany). If it's an extremely stupid name it could be reported to the child protection services. I'm not sure what happens in the UK or in other countries not mentioned in that article.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 5:22 pm

La'crucial Unique-Expressway Bryant

Legitimate name.

In an American high school, one of my aunt's fellow teachers taught a girl with this name.

She was born in a crucial point in her mom's life, her mom thinks she's unique, and her mom went into labor on the expressway.

Then her last name.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 5:32 pm

I knew a woman who's name was Royce.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 5:33 pm

Oh, and with the poll (which I evidently missed the first time around), I chose the second option.
Government intervening with something as personal as naming your child is just ridiculous.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 5:33 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
La'crucial Unique-Expressway Bryant

Legitimate name.

In an American high school, one of my aunt's fellow teachers taught a girl with this name.

She was born in a crucial point in her mom's life, her mom thinks she's unique, and her mom went into labor on the expressway.

Then her last name.

That kid has got to have grown up with a lot of attitude...like The Boy Named Sue. Maybe people who live in ghettoes get stupid names because their parents want to toughen them up?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 5:34 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I knew a woman who's name was Royce.

It's one letter away from Joyce and it's still better than Leyland!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 6:56 pm

On last year's season of America's Got Talent, there was a contestant named Spongina or something like that.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 7:04 pm

I knew a girl in junior high named Star.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 7:06 pm

Montana. But that is actually a name for a human. Montana Max for one in Tiny Toons. I knew a little boy named Montana.

Madison.

Coco (name of daughter of Courteney Cox and David Arquitte)

Ashland. My mom's cousin named her daughter that and that is actually a name of a town in Oregon.

I wouldn't mind giving my kid an unusual name, some of them are pretty names like Quilanna. (pronounced Qweh-Launa) and someone from my school named her kid that. I also like the name Aleaga (not sure how to spell it but you hear it in the Baby can read commercial). It's pronounced "Uh-Lee-guh."

London. Actually a girl's name and I actually wanted to name my kid this if I had a girl. I think it's a pretty name. Yeah sue me. :lol:

Spokane. Yeah that was actually name of a character in a video made by these Spokaners for a film festival and they posted it on Youtube. I also wanted to name my kid this too and my husband and my mom said no to it.

Jaycee and Jaytee, yeah one of my special ed teachers named her kid these and I thought they were JT and JC and Jaycee turned out to be actual name because that was the name of Diane Keaton's character in baby Boom. Now I think Jaycee is a pretty name.

And when I was eight, there was actually a little boy who went to my church and his name was Beth. Or was it a girl that looked like a boy? :shrugs:

Leyland sounds pretty, "lay-land" it's pronounced right?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 7:14 pm

I might be wrong but I think that Leyland is pronounced 'Lee-land'.

When I was born, there was a list of approved names for the parents to choose from. But then I know a man my age who was named Tractor. Apparently, they had that on the list.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 7:18 pm

When I was a kid I knew two girls named Starla and Sloan. Sloan had a little brother named Paxton but it was his nickname because in the yearbook, he was called Thomas.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 7:26 pm

My half-aunt is named Tristana, and she named her daughter Remington. I think Remington would be a cool boy's name, but I think it sucks as a girl's name. Also, I remember going to school with a boy named Magnum and another boy named Britain (everyone called him "Brit" for short).

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 8:23 pm

I'm definitely not going to have children. But if I somehow did, I *would* name them after a game or book character or something like that...or make up something new altogether.
I'd like to perhaps change my own name into something interesting someday...

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 8:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
When I was a kid I knew two girls named Starla and Sloan. Sloan had a little brother named Paxton but it was his nickname because in the yearbook, he was called Thomas.

PAXTON LOL

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2011, 9:00 pm

If I ever had a kid I would name him Garlic.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jan 2011, 9:21 pm

I voted No on this poll because the kids rename themselves by the time they become teens. They go by really stupid nicknames

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition