Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Iced
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 May 2014, 1:55 am

To be honest, it confuses and, at some points, overwhelms me.

Not --- I have no idea what's going on, but my mind gets overwhelmed by trying to filter in and filter out all the appropriate and inappropriate things to say and trying to figure out just WHAT to say that is 1) relevant to the small talk, 2) equal to the other person in 'depth' of conversation, etc.

A lot of 'small talk' is joking or current events or pop culture where I'm at and where the person initiating a 'small talk' is literally only looking for 'small' talk, I can end up talking too much or saying the wrong thing by actually accidentally taking something literally... a lot of the times.

Yes, I have a lot of mental rubrics for social situations, but it's still a mentally draining thing to go through.

I'd rather avoid those problems, then, by simply avoiding the small talk.

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2014, 11:42 pm

I geuss it just makes me feel like a mindless robot. I also get this really sickeningly phoney feeling after engaging in small talk.This often comes with a fake, plastic grin that I have to force off my face with just as much effort as was required to force it on.
I geuss in depth, conversations regarding a topic that interests me is easy because it's entertaining.

WhatAGal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2014, 2:27 am

It's pedestrian and requires little thought - not my cup of tea, but than again it depends entirely on the person I'm talking to. There are very few people I don't mind discussing simple matters with, usually someone I feel the most comfortable around (which is rare).

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

26 May 2014, 4:08 am

I dislike small talk for various reasons but I find myself initiating more often recently. It's how I assert my friendliness, make myself approachable and show interest in people. Internally, it also makes me feel less lonely, gets me away from feeling anxious. Which in turn makes it easier to be more open and transition into deeper conversations if I feel the need to.

Usually when the small talk is not initiated by myself, I tend to have moments where I fail on my side of the socialization. Examples include: being caught off guard and not responding quick enough, or letting the conversation drop because I forgot to say my part (due to feeling anxious).

Typically I am in deep thought while simultaneously managing any anxiety or sensory issues. So when I make the jump to conversing and interacting with the world around me it is 1000 times easier (less stressful) when I initiate. Therefore, I strongly prefer to initiate the small talk and despite my dislike for it, it also has great purpose.