pronouncing words when u see/hear them for the first time

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

I get spelling before pronounciation usually but occassionally the reverse. I also often mispronounce words even if I can say the correct pronounciation in my head, and tend to mix up similar phonemes.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

I am bad at that. If I see a word I have never seen I will not know how to say it.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 5:48 pm

I still have no idea how to pronounce anti-aliasing. I know what it is and I know how to spell it, but I can't ever say it right.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 11:04 pm

I am all over the place with pronouncing words when seeing them for the first time. Sometimes I can pronounce advanced medical terms with no problem but simple words I just can't figure out. I have aspects of both hyperlexia and dyslexia at the same time. Don't know why. I learned how to read at an early age but am getting more dyslexic with age. There are times where I really can't read at all or pronounce things correctly. Other times I know all.

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2011, 12:59 am

The tests I have takes say I do not have dyslexia, yet I have the symptoms. Go figure. I usually can pronounce a short word if my eyes are not messing up the letters, but if the word is long and i have never seen it before, it is considerably harder. Just for the sake of discussion, pretend I have never seen this: antidisestablishmentarianism (I actually know this word, and don't have to sound it out. I just memorized what it looks like - my spellcheck dictionary didn't even have it! lol).

Anyway, I would see a word such as this as: antisdmetlsrtlitrasitmsiblinism. And that is giving it leeway (either the letters jumble, add, subtract or fuzz together). I typically only see the first and last three or (maybe) four letters in a word. If I really concentrate, I can break it into parts like this: anti dis est ab lish men tar ian ism. I literally have to make it so that my eyes only see each of these sections at a time. If my eyes even try to look at one of the neighboring sections, they become dyslexic and mix everything around again. I am a fan of pronunciation guides.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Not much hearing, but reading i pronunce pretty accurately a new word. On my side, my first language has very precise rules of reading, so it's heasy to not commit mistakes, but i noticed i tend to pronunce correctly even norwegian words. But at least even norwegian has pretty precise rules.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -