Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 3:33 am

The assumptions behind that question are too linear to be taken seriously.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 3:50 am

Two chicken-like lizards came first, then the egg, then the chicken.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 9:46 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Two chicken-like lizards came first, then the egg, then the chicken.

There'd be intermediates, though, that aren't quite lizard and aren't quite chicken, so it shows how there's no real, concrete answer for it. Its like asking, what came first "creation or destruction". I think creation and destruction are just inherent patterns in the fabric of reality though. To have creation, you have to have destruction of a previous order, and to have destruction, you have to create a new order.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 10:26 pm

JNathanK wrote:
There'd be intermediates, though, that aren't quite lizard and aren't quite chicken, so it shows how there's no real, concrete answer for it. Its like asking, what came first "creation or destruction". I think creation and destruction are just inherent patterns in the fabric of reality though. To have creation, you have to have destruction of a previous order, and to have destruction, you have to create a new order.

Joseph Schumpeter coined a phrase on this.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin