Alien Hand Syndrome sees woman attacked by her own hand

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 4:14 pm

Interesting article. Cut the small bundle of fibres joining each half of the brain (the corpus collosum) and one person becomes two people... with two independent streams of consciousness, two independent sets of thoughts, different personalities, different knowledge and skills.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12225163

I first read about this many years ago and find it fascinating, not least for its implications as to what defines an individual person. It also further pushes the concept of a "soul" further into the realms of make-believe and superstition.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 4:26 pm

Thought provoking story, it could also explain multiple personality disorder. If that couldhappen with a hand or foot, just imagine what would happen if the unused 80-90% of our brain was activated, that would be an experience to witness.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 4:41 pm

PM wrote:
Thought provoking story, it could also explain multiple personality disorder. If that couldhappen with a hand or foot, just imagine what would happen if the unused 80-90% of our brain was activated, that would be an experience to witness.

...isn't that a myth?

I figured this would be featured on the Onion upon reading the title.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2011, 5:23 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I first read about this many years ago and find it fascinating, not least for its implications as to what defines an individual person. It also further pushes the concept of a "soul" further into the realms of make-believe and superstition.

'Soul' and 'personality' are not synonymous concepts. If the soul is the essence of a consciousness that participates in corporeal life at will, by extension into the physical universe, in multiple incarnation (not necessarily 'reincarnation' but 'multi incarnation), personalities would be as varied as the physical vehicles.

Neurology would only be a specific lens, it might alter the quality of the light, but would never affect the source. Personality is only a mask for the duration of the party, you don't wear it home. Anyone who thinks their individual ego is eternal IS participating in superstition. Wishful thinking borne out of fear.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 5:42 pm

Interesting. I wonder if the reason the 'alien' hand is so 'unruly' is because it's controlled by the side that is left with no language. IOW, that the person 'in' that half of the brain can't communicate via language, so they're trying to say, "hey! I'm here! Why can't anybody understand me? WTH us going on? Fine, I'll snub out that cigarette you just lit, and grab that other hand when it's trying to write."

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 10:30 am

Quote:
Anyone who thinks their individual ego is eternal IS participating in superstition. Wishful thinking borne out of fear.

Fair enough, but are you postulating consciousness itself as being eternal?

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

eudaimonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2011, 4:30 pm

Quote:
The discovery of hemispherical dominance has its roots in the 1940s, when surgeons first decided to treat epilepsy by cutting the corpus callosum. After they had recovered, the patients appeared normal. But in psychology circles they became legends.

That is because these patients would, in time, reveal something that to me is truly astonishing - the two halves of our brains each contain a kind of separate consciousness. Each hemisphere is capable of its own independent will.

'separate consciousness' is an overstatement.. this shows that different halves of the brain control different sections of personality, and when they are not able to communicate with one another, the human is able to perform the same tasks but must find a new physical way to override the severed nervous connection- like using a different hand to solve a puzzle.

Quote:
Most people who have had their corpus collosum cut appear normal afterwards. You could cross them in the street and you would not know anything had happened.

Karen was unlucky. After the operation, the right side of her brain refused to be dominated by the left.

This suggests that one with a severed corpus collosum could override the segment by learning what the different sides of the brain do and taking advantage of that fact.

A lesson we could all use a little edification on :) The halves of the brain have unique capabilities but severing them does not necessarily make multiple personalities.