Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 5:31 pm

I'm very interested in famous people with AS.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 6:17 pm

I'm gearing up to make a post about the geologist James Hutton.

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2011, 6:21 pm

Albert Einstein? Peter Howson?

To be fair, if you're looking for someone 'cool', then you're probably going to be quite disappointed.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 6:33 pm

Poppycocteau wrote:
Albert Einstein? Peter Howson?

To be fair, if you're looking for someone 'cool', then you're probably going to be quite disappointed.

Well, some of those speculated to be on the spectrum can be pretty cool, such as Maynard James Keenan

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 6:44 pm

You might want to broaden that list to Autism in general as AS did not exist as a formal diagnosis until 1994.

emjay89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2011, 7:01 pm

really? not until 94? im sure i got my dx before that but anyway..

and in regards to famous AS people...Dan Akroyd

Byron

24 Jan 2011, 7:04 pm

My mom told me a long time ago that one of her friends said that Bill Gates probably has AS.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 8:04 pm

Satoshi Tajiri, creator of Pokemon, has AS. 8O

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 8:08 pm

emjay89 wrote:
really? not until 94? im sure i got my dx before that but anyway..

and in regards to famous AS people...Dan Akroyd
Dan Ackroyd? YAYYYY!! !!

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 8:49 pm

emjay89 wrote:
really? not until 94? im sure i got my dx before that but anyway.

In the US anyway. The DSM-IV was the first version to contain Asperger's as a diagnosis and was published in 1994.

Yowuza
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jan 2011, 12:11 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
You might want to broaden that list to Autism in general as AS did not exist as a formal diagnosis until 1994.

I believe Einstein and Michaelangelo have been diagnosed with AS based on accounts of their personality.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 1:13 pm

Yowuza wrote:
MidlifeAspie wrote:

I believe Einstein and Michaelangelo have been diagnosed with AS based on accounts of their personality.

Speculation at best. One cannot be "diagnosed" by someone who has never spoken to them.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 1:56 pm

I made a post about the geologist James Hutton.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3330223 ... t=#3330223

Now, of course, we are at some risk of going the other way, the 'Asian student myth' so to speak, and that can be a big a box as anything else.

Vannah
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2011, 6:01 pm

Most of those speculated AS people I find really cool! There's a list somewhere of historical figures that may have had AS I'll have a snoop.

Aspie Quiz; Your Aspie score: 146 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 61 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

TheAntevasin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Nov 2019, 4:25 pm

I just had a look and yes a lot of historic figures speculated, makes sense to explain their eccentric behaviour.

Famous People Who Have or Had Asperger's Syndrome

''The difficulty in understanding and acknowledging autism, primarily high functioning autism or Asperger's Syndrome, by the medical, psychological, and psychiatric community, can lead to misdiagnosis and even failure to provide the services needed for students (Autism Today, 2007).

People with Asperger's Syndrome are often described, as having social skills deficits, reluctance to listen, difficulty understanding social give and take, and other core characteristics, is typically quite misunderstood and/or misdiagnosed in our country today.

First recognized by Hans Asperger in 1944, who recognized that the patterns of behaviors and characteristics were often noticed in the parents as well, most noticeably in the fathers, and he very perceptively noted, "that the condition was probably due to genetic or neurological, rather than psychological or environmental factors," (Attwood, 2006, p. 2).

Psychologists, physicians, educators, and parents remain largely uneducated and uninformed regarding high functioning autism and Asperger's Syndrome, particularly in girls and women, and the person is often misdiagnosed (Fattig, 2007). "Asperger's syndrome has probably been an important and valuable characteristic of our species throughout evolution," (Attwood, 2006, p. 2).

Autism impacts normal development of the brain in the areas of social interaction and communication skills. The disorder makes it hard to communicate with others and relate to the social world. In some cases, aggressive and/or self-injurious behavior may be present (Autism Society of Delaware, 2005); however, internal behaviors such as withdrawal, depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and social isolation may be just as prevalent (Fattig, 2007). "Persons with autism may exhibit repeated body movements (hand flapping, rocking), unusual responses to people or attachments to objects and resistance to changes in routines. Individuals may also experience sensitivities in the five senses of sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste," (Autism Society of Delaware, 2005).

One reason why the prevalence in girls and women is so low in comparison to boys and men may be the fundamental lack of awareness of what Asperger's Syndrome "looks like" in females. Traditional frameworks may indicate that the female with Asperger's Syndrome is just shy, quiet, perfect at school so her parents must be exaggerating, tomboyish, moody, overly competitive, aloof, Gothic, depressed, anxious, or a perfectionist (Fattig, 2007). The Viennese pediatrician, Asperger, described a group of children with similar characteristics, observing that "the children's social maturity and social reasoning were delayed and some aspects of their social abilities were quite unusual at any stage of development," (Attwood, 2006, p. 2).

More specifically, the pediatrician included aspects of difficulty to include social skills, friendship skills, conversational skills, pedantic speech patterns, tendency towards ego-centrism and preoccupation in a particular area of interest, lack of emotional control, and an immaturity of empathetic skills. These children were noted to have difficulty attending in class and demonstrated learning deficits, along with organizational, motor, and sensory concern. The difficulty in understanding and acknowledging autism, primarily high functioning autism or Asperger's Syndrome, by the medical, psychological, and psychiatric community, can lead to misdiagnosis and even failure to provide the services needed for students (Autism Today, 2007). Applying these characteristics to famous or historical figures, may allow a better understanding of the significant positive impact great Asperger's ancestors have left behind towards an enlightened and improved society and world.''

click below to see list of Famous People List *of living and past*Who Have or Had Asperger's Syndrome

https://www.disabled-world.com/disabili ... us/asp.php

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 172 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 11:07 am

:roll: Speculation...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.