Do you have auditory problems? I can't hear what people say

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 8:31 pm

I have auditory processing problems when the environment is very loud. I can't understand anything when there is any sort of background noise. Very difficult and my annoying brother calls me deaf but in reality I am hypersensitive to noise. I can hear insignificant sounds but when someone is giving me multi step instructions for something (like I have an art teacher) then I can't process it at all. I am not an auditory learner, but rather by visual and actually being shown the step of how to do something. My ability to comprehend things is limited. I also misinterpret people talking to me and the meanings of things. I can hear it fine though, only when there is background noise I have problems actually hearing. Today when I went to the doctor to check in I couldn't hear because of the noise and had to read lips (which I don't know how to do).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:56 am

Some people talk to quick and/or too quietly. I like the type of people who speak loud and clearly.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:03 pm

eatingcereal wrote:
I find myself not being able to hear what people are saying a lot. I'll say "what" a bunch of times in a conversation and feel like an idiot. It's like sometimes my brain just decides to filter what people are saying into incoherent babble.

Also sometimes I process things slower than other people. Like someone will say something and others will laugh and then five seconds later I'll actually start thinking about what was said, and then I get it. But by then it's too late to laugh. It's like I'm not in the moment.

Yeah, me too. Sometimes, it sounds like a bunch of jibberish to me! Maybe I have an APD or auditory processing disorder?