How did you or your aspie child survive high school

Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm

I never talked to anyone and just looked intimidating to warn off bullies and the like. I have no friends but I didn't suffer through high school! I also willingly joined an alternative high school so weird people were the norm there, it felt great actually.

romzz
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2012, 5:22 am

i was lucky enough to be enrolled in a very small private high school. 30 students at most in one classroom. Had the same classmate from 1st year to 4th year. 10 minutes of walking from house to school. They also know my dad is in the police force so some decided to leave me alone most of the time. The problem started though during my college years. My mom wants me to enroll in big universities and I did. I have to be independent and live in a dorm. That's when my being different really became apparent. I was stupid to think that if i force myself to be people friendly like joining org and attending those parties my social awkwardness will just disappear. The only thing it did to me is to literally drain away my energy until i could no longer take it and just dropped out. I was diagnosed as clinically depressed which doesnt make sense but i accepted it anyway. So what i did is to just enroll to the community branch of a university. I was giddy when i found out that the number of students they accepts are less than 700. Its like i'm back on a familiar territory. The school days are just three times a week and since i was older than most of my classmates they don't question my being aloof. Of course i couldn't escape the group works but its more tolerable than being in a dorm with hundreds of girls (and some bullied me) and in a university with thousands of students. Its a good compromise i think. Imagine my happiness when i finally graduate and its not because i was so happy i accomplished something but because i can at least get away from people. by that time they have become too chummy and keeps wanting me to be in their group outings. The only bonding moment i truly enjoyed with them is DOTA playing and that's because we're staring at the computers and dont have to talk for hours. My college classmates are really nice i love them but i just dont want to be with them all the time because its really just draining. Now its work and romantic relationship that im still struggling with.... I guess its never gonna stop no matter how much i learned from previous experience about socialization. So basically if there's an option to enroll on a smaller school with small number of students then i guess its the best way. You can still socialize without being too drained because at the end of the day you still have your home to recharge. That's how i get by.

timewaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2012, 9:13 am

I was kinda in my own world, i think that i ignored a lot of it.

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2012, 7:32 pm

I kept to myself mostly and studied a lot. Reading was helpful too.