Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

The_Danish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2006, 9:03 am

Well, nerd, not really :)

Anyway, I figured it'd be a good thing to say hi to you all.

I'm a 19 year old girl, just recently diagnosed with Asperger syndrome (one year ago)- it's a fairly new diagnosis in this part of the world, so of course, nobody figured out that I was an aspie before a friend told me that "it sounds exactly like you!" 8O I'm quite heavily affected by it as no one has had a chance to treat it during my childhood- I've recently been declared unable to work as I function very poorly in everyday life, unfortunately.

I'm currently fighting the county as they won't acknowledge my diagnose- so currently, I'm on wellfare, but I'm heading towards full time pension. If, that is, they acknowledge my condition.

I live in Denmark- a small country in Europe- and I quite like it here, although I like travelling even more- not very aspie like, but I enjoy getting out of the country and to set my own schedule for the day- just being myself for a while :)

I'm quite the aviation nerd. I also take care of animals, I like watching anime and I've done quite extensive research on Australia (my favorite country! I'm heading there for the third time this december :)), but aviation pretty much rules my life and has since I was 5 years old :lol:

Finding this place almost brought tears to my eyes- the other aspie forums I've been on have either been poorly coded and are hard to find your way around or they've been dead as a dinosaur... so i was really happy to find this place and I hope to get many interesting hours here- and get to talk to someone who knows and understands how I feel and why life sometimes suck.

So hello to you all- from a currently summerish Denmark! :)

BlueFireBird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2006, 9:16 am

Hello!
Welcom here, I am from The Netherlands, female, only a few months ago diagnosed with Aspergers after having lived 35 years on this planet without knowing I was an aspie.

Denmark is a nice country to be I think. My family and I have been in Denmark once on holiday. I know one other aspie from Denmark, he is a member of the Dutch autism forum on the internet.

The_Danish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2006, 9:35 am

BlueFireBird wrote:
Hello!
Welcom here, I am from The Netherlands, female, only a few months ago diagnosed with Aspergers after having lived 35 years on this planet without knowing I was an aspie.

Denmark is a nice country to be I think. My family and I have been in Denmark once on holiday. I know one other aspie from Denmark, he is a member of the Dutch autism forum on the internet.

Great to meet another female asperger- there aren't too many around here :)

The netherlands rule! I've been to Amsterdam and Eindhoven around 3 times, and I absolutely love it there- I feel completely at home there, and I can't wait to go again :)

It doesn't surprise me that no one noticed you were an aspie- I basically had to find out myself before I was even diagnosed. Also, it's not all too common for women to have it, which makes the psychiatrists doubt us even more.

For years, I had a "schizotypical" diagnosis. And that made things even harder as the psychs were "I know better than you" type of people- they firmly held on to the schizotypical diagnosis, and I'm still fighting them- I do have the asperger diagnosis, but I was diagnosed at a private hospital as the public hospital didn't want anything to do with me... so technically, I'm not "officially diagnosed" :? Even though the private psychiatrists were asperger experts and the public hospital psychiatrists didn't even examine me properly, they still think they're right...

Bitter? You bet :D

BlueFireBird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2006, 9:49 am

Sad that it has been such a struggle for you to finally know that you have Aspergers.

The_Danish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2006, 10:06 am

Well, it all makes me stronger :D It was such a relief to finally find out what was wrong with me.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2006, 2:29 pm

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

ethamin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2006, 5:36 am

Hi welcome to the site!

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2006, 6:48 am

Hi The_Danish

I met online here, Jolger who is German but living in Denmark and his carer Storebror who is from Denmark

http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... highlight=

Haven't seen either of them around for a bit. Jolger was very keen to get diagnosed, and maybe he went to the same public hospital as you, and maybe it didn't go well. Then again who knows why people stop posting.

As I said to them the only thing I know as Danish is a french? sweet pastry, and Prince Frederick who seems to like Tasmanians.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having Aspergers. I think the best thing about a diagnosis, is that you find out you're not the only one who thinks the way you do, and that it is possible to learn what you need to function well. Hmm, that might not be true for everyone but I like to think it might be. Find your strengths and assets, make the most of them. Teach people how to cope with your deficits. Really I think Aspergers is not a problem. I think others have a problem if they lack tolerance of anything a bit different.

Hans Asperger lived quite close to Denmark (he was Austrian?), lots of Danish people speak German quite well, I don't know why it would take so long for his ideas to get to Denmark. Sad really.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2006, 6:41 pm

Hi The_Danish, i am a 19 year old AS girl too... strange.... what types of animals do you care for?

ethamin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2006, 9:57 pm

Raph522 wrote:
Hi The_Danish, i am a 19 year old AS girl too... strange.... what types of animals do you care for?

:lol: I thought you were a guy named Ralph, sorry.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2006, 11:16 pm

Welcome, I'm a 21-year old girl-- we're around! :wink: It seems like a lot of people our age had trouble getting a diagnosis in childhood...hopefully people are recognizing aspies better by now.

The_Danish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2006, 10:51 am

Thanks for your posts, everyone :)

Wobbegong: That sounds interesting :) A "danish" (the pastry) is called a "berliner" or "wienerbread" here :lol: I guess we don't want to be classified as pastries :D "storebror" means "big brother" by the way- what a cute name! A shame they're not around anymore, I would've loved to talk to them... I was misdiagnosed at Naestved, but I've been told that most hospitals are like that, and unless you go to a specialized hospital, they only carry out 10% of the tests and examinations that you need to go through to be diagnosed... on these 10%, they think they can conclude whether you have aspergers or not :roll: - even though I fit the tests and exams down to a T, they still carried on with other tests and still didn't believe I had aspergers.

Raph522 wrote:

Hehe, lots of animals- currently, I have four chinchillas, two dogs, two cats (one of them is deaf), two cockatiels and three degus (gerbil/squirrel type of animals). The Danish RSPCA and various shelters and petshops call me if they run out of space and I often help them rehome animals (although I end up keeping a lot of them myself :roll: ). I've had everything from mice to giant iguanas running around the house :lol:

pineapple wrote:
Welcome, I'm a 21-year old girl-- we're around! :wink: It seems like a lot of people our age had trouble getting a diagnosis in childhood...hopefully people are recognizing aspies better by now.

I think it's because we're girls ;) Asperger is most commonly found in boys, so when a girl shows symptoms, doctors would rather look for other possibilities than Asperger- my doctor was very poorly informed, and when I started mentioning aspergers first, his first reaction was "but girls can't have aspergers!" :wink: Needless to say, he's better informed now. :P

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2006, 10:57 am

You're welcome!

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2006, 3:19 pm

ethamin wrote:
Raph522 wrote:

:lol: I thought you were a guy named Ralph, sorry.

:) i think a lot of people think i am a boy...Raphael is my dog, not me

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2006, 10:31 pm

Quote:
"storebror" means "big brother" by the way- what a cute name!

A cute name? It reminds me of something far more sinister.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 6:16 am

Hi The Danish

a danish pastry is a berliner?

I thought Adelaide, South Australia and adjacent rural towns with German heritage were the only places that had those. I'm hungry now.

Our danish involves a geometic shape of flakey pastry a bit like croissant pastry, with some bit of fruit, and maybe patisserie custard, if they know what they're doing, or ordinary custard if they don't, and a lot of glaze and decorative icing. A berliner however is like a jam donut. no hole in the centre, and the yeast dough gets deep fried at some point, and then jam stuffed in the middle, and a generous capping of hard smooth not sticky icing over the top. There's a variation called a kitchener bun, suspect it had a german name before we went to war with the germans (the first time), that involves the deep fried donut bun (no hole), rolled in sugar, split in the middle and finished with jam and fresh whipped cream.

Things like this, we were only allowed one choice on Friday in my family. Ie definitely the food of moderation.