Texas Gov: Stop public schools, go private schools instead

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 2:36 pm

PM wrote:
Thank goodness this was satire, but i stand by my remarks on our education system. Did my last statement in bold make me sound to extreme or cuckoo?

I would say ill informed when it comes to Republicans. The idea Republicans have is that private enterprise and competition provides better results than a Government controlled plan. There are quite a few private schools that outperform public schools all over the country.

Heck some workplaces have a daycare for the children of employees, and that workplace makes darn sure those kids are safe cause they don't want upset employees that their kid is hurt.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 10:51 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
It is a clever method, private schools can reinforce christian writing, christian reading and christian arithmetic without breaking separation of church from state.

A private school also doesn't have to tolerate "teachers unions," and they can set standards for excellence that exceed what the state asks for, enforce discipline in the classroom, expel unruly children who disrupt classes, pay/terminate teachers based on ability to to their jobs, etc.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:38 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Sending your children to public school is a form of child abuse. If you have the means to send your child elsewhere, you do. I'd rather our kids get a religious education than none at all.

Home schooling is best. No one has a child's best interest at heart more than a parent or guardian.

Before the middle of the 19th century, all schooling in the U.S. was done as home schooling, church schooling or privately hired teachers by members of the community. The iconic one room school house was primarily a private service, not a government service.

ruveyn

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 2:15 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The sad thing really is that the reason our public schools are failing is almost completely cultural. You could throw all the money in the world at our schools and it wouldn't make much of a difference. (that's not saying schools aren't under funded either but the issues are so much deeper) People have become use to the idea that government will take care of them, there is no more personal responsibility. It manifests itself in all facets of society. Nothing will change until a complete collapse of the system. What replaces it will either be freedom or complete slavery to the state.
Yeah the culture is the real problem. The culture of entitlement has led people to believe that they don't have to earn anything for themselves since society will do that for em. This whole self esteem movement has made douchebaggery rampant in society. Instead of holding boys accountable for doing mean spirited and selfish things, all their parents have to say about it is "Boys will be boys". No s**t, boys will still be boys in adulthood if you keep positively reinforcing crap like that and excuse it. I don't think it takes a collapse of the system though, there just has to be a movement encouraging personal responsibility, self-sufficiency, warranted self esteem, etc.

Vexcalibur wrote:
http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/11052/governor-rick-perry-urges-republican-voters-to-abandon-public-schools

It is a clever method, private schools can reinforce christian writing, christian reading and christian arithmetic without breaking separation of church from state.
In case you didn't notice, they said it's an alternative to public schools so no one's being forced to go to em whereas the standardized nature of public schools means that you are pretty much forced to deal with em. If I don't like one private school, I can go to another one. But since public schools are very uniform when it comes to their curriculum and policies, revisionist history in one public school for example means there's more where that came from.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 3:55 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Sending your children to public school is a form of child abuse. If you have the means to send your child elsewhere, you do. I'd rather our kids get a religious education than none at all.

My parents sent me to an all-grades private school until I got to 9th grade, and then, by my own choosing, I spent the remainder of high school at a public school. It's true, the private school was better funded, and thus was able to provide a better curriculum. However, I have to tell you, I was much happier at the public school. Mentally, I did not feel understimulated, I could wear what I wanted without worrying about some archaic dress code, and for the first time I actually had a peer group with whom I felt somewhat at ease. Overall, I would characterize my time at public school as one of, if not happiness, then satisfaction. I realize not all public schools are like that-- but some are. It just requires an administration and faculty that are passionate about educating and serious about enforcing an environment of safety.

ruveyn wrote:
Home schooling is best. No one has a child's best interest at heart more than a parent or guardian.

The problem with home schooling, though, is that it puts the child at a disadvantage for social development. It may provide a more intensive focus on subject matter, but book-knowledge will only get you so far in the Real World. As much as we Aspies may not like it, our society is built for social networking.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 4:56 pm

Chevand wrote:
The problem with home schooling, though, is that it puts the child at a disadvantage for social development.

You know, I hear that line of garbage so often.

Frankly, looking at how screwed up the public schools are and the kids who come out of them are at social interaction, you can't be doing worse by home schooling.

Heck, why should home schooling deal with social interaction. THAT IS WHAT PLAY TIME WITH OTHER KIDS IS ABOUT.

Home school. Let your kids play with other neighborhood kids. Being locked in a institution for 6-8 hours a day is not going to make your kid more well-adjusted.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 5:16 pm

Chevand wrote:

The problem with home schooling, though, is that it puts the child at a disadvantage for social development. It may provide a more intensive focus on subject matter, but book-knowledge will only get you so far in the Real World. As much as we Aspies may not like it, our society is built for social networking.

Social time with peer children can be arranged after all the lessons are done. Play-dates, clubs, and such like.

ruveyn

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 5:35 pm

Public school social life prepares a person for cubicle social life.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 5:58 pm

Nosirrom wrote:
Public school social life prepares a person for cubicle social life.

That is remarkably close to the truth. Horace Mann of Massachussetts started the compulsory schooling movement, with schools being run by the government to turn children into obedient productive citizens. Mann was very impress with what the Prussians were doing. They were providing "free" schools to the people to turn out nice well behaved little merchants, clerks and workers.

ruveyn

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:00 pm

Yes it is close but can be inaccurate. because School life appears to be changing and possibly cubicle life? It appears to be changing from what I hear. (don't ask me what I hear)

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:21 pm

@nos what do you hear?

There are plenty of places you can send your kid to socialize, lessons at a local athletic type center(like YMCA) provide plenty of options and it might benefit your kid physically as well.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 8:47 pm

Okay well schools are supposed to have more support systems these days. There are more fine arts and performing arts classes with teachers that focus on imagination and creation rather than strict learning.
And I have never worked in a cubicle.. (I am a student).. but hearing about the internet being used there all the time it doesn't seem that strict.

(the reason I said not to ask is because I have no real way to back up what I am saying.)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 10:47 pm

seem's like I've outlasted Ruyven and John-Browning on WP!!

In any case no shortage of right wing nut jobs to bust on this forum, another hard day of slog...

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 11:11 pm

Private schools aren't any better than public schools. I have seen just as many obnoxious and disruptive kids in private schools. Private school kids aren't any smarter than public school kids. Private schools try to avoid kicking kids out of school because they don't want to lose money. The way a kid behaves in school depends on the parenting at home more than anything.