Texas Gov: Stop public schools, go private schools instead

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 7:36 pm

http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/ ... ic-schools

It is a clever method, private schools can reinforce christian writing, christian reading and christian arithmetic without breaking separation of church from state.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 7:38 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/11052/governor-rick-perry-urges-republican-voters-to-abandon-public-schools

It is a clever method, private schools can reinforce christian writing, christian reading and christian arithmetic without breaking separation of church from state.

Of course. The Constitution does not prohibit private groups and undertaking from having a religious agenda. In fact the First Amendment protects that.

The best thing for the U.S. is to get rid of public schools which are tax funded illiteracy factories.

ruveyn

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 8:01 pm

it's too comical to be real.

....right?

.......please tell me it's satire?...

....please?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 8:04 pm

Unfortunately, public schools have the higher callings of keeping bodies off the unemployment figures, providing day care for the younger kiddies, and socializing [or brainwashing if you prefer that term]. Private schools would not do as good a job in the first two areas, and might socialize the young in politically unacceptable directions.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 8:06 pm

>.< Texans can be so dang daft sometimes. Sorry any Texans present but you know its true.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 8:20 pm

I've been to two private schools (Catholics Schools) and they were the biggest pieces of underfunded crap ever. How a school can't afford outdated books that students have to leave in the classroom for the other class to share is beyond me.

I'd rather go to a overly religious public school that actually has money to afford proper books and classes than a poor Catholic School where the entire white population acts like ghetto wannabe delinquents and has s**t for school material.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 8:22 pm

If it's done in the name of getting more parents to voluntarily pay for a bigger share of their kids' education costs, then it's legal.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 8:32 pm

John_Browning wrote:
If it's done in the name of getting more parents to voluntarily pay for a bigger share of their kids' education costs, then it's legal.

well, that's really not how laws work.... but thanks for playing!

i'm pretty sure this article is satire. apparently, pz myers took it seriously and then later doubted, apparently throwing up his arms and calling poe's law. i concur.

rather depressing that it's so believable.....

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Jan 2011, 8:36 pm

Sending your children to public school is a form of child abuse. If you have the means to send your child elsewhere, you do. I'd rather our kids get a religious education than none at all.

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 2:10 am

I write software that K-12 district administrators use to manipulate their district's stats and get more money from the state. It's really not surprising that publicly schooled kids can't do anything but apply formulaic rules to specific types of problems (the state curriculum). If you give them a problem that doesn't exactly fit the specific process they learned, many will be completely unable to solve it. Your average school's main focus is boosting standardized test scores, so they devote more resources to kids who are near the performance level boundaries. The other main focus is appeasing the teachers unions. Sometimes we license districts for years ahead, so that they can use up their budgets so that they don't get cut the next fiscal year. The actual well-being of the children is just an afterthought.

It's sad.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 6:11 am

MCG it is true. I am currently a student in public education and it is pretty bad. Pretty much what you said. And our government wants to cut funding to our education even more.
They say it is taking up an ever increasing amount of their spending. But that is only because they are cutting back on other areas of spending which makes the education and health care spending increase in proportion to the rest of their spending. In reality the education and health care spending aren't increasing enough to keep up with inflation.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:05 am

ruveyn wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/11052/governor-rick-perry-urges-republican-voters-to-abandon-public-schools

Of course. The Constitution does not prohibit private groups and undertaking from having a religious agenda. In fact the First Amendment protects that.

The best thing for the U.S. is to get rid of public schools which are tax funded illiteracy factories.

ruveyn

For a good overview of how education is being screwed up by the intervention of private money see
http://dissentmagazine.org/article/?article=3781

PM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:53 am

"We need to stop paying teachers like the kid who delievers grit" -Dennis Miller, 1995

Truer words could not be spoken then or now. Our pathetic exuse for an education system has been underfunded, understaffed, and looked over for far too long. And then there's this a-hole known as Rick Perry who not ony wants to defund or public educaton, but wants to plainly violate the Constitution like most other Evangelical Christians out there.

As for the Libs and Dems, you are not saints either. You want to shove this Self-Esteem "your special' BS down the throats of our children so they can grow up to be subservant to your Labor Union overlords.

"GOP Economics 101: More for the greedy, less for the needy"

You have held the "you can be rich too" carrot in front of our face for far too long!

THIS IS NOT 1840's VICTORIAN ENGLAND, THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IN 2011, THIS IS THE LAND OF OPPURTUNITY AND ITS TIME THAT WE THE PEOLPE PUT OUR FOOT DOWN!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Jan 2011, 10:20 am

The sad thing really is that the reason our public schools are failing is almost completely cultural. You could throw all the money in the world at our schools and it wouldn't make much of a difference. (that's not saying schools aren't under funded either but the issues are so much deeper) People have become use to the idea that government will take care of them, there is no more personal responsibility. It manifests itself in all facets of society. Nothing will change until a complete collapse of the system. What replaces it will either be freedom or complete slavery to the state.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 12:13 pm

waltur wrote:
it's too comical to be real.

....right?

.......please tell me it's satire?...

....please?
It is , don't worry.

But once I found out it was satire, I was scared that I actually needed to find out it was satire, it is scary how believable this was...

Poe's law wins this one.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 12:31 pm

Thank goodness this was satire, but i stand by my remarks on our education system. Did my last statement in bold make me sound to extreme or cuckoo?