Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

luckbug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2011, 2:14 pm

does anyone know if there are measurable indicators of over stimulation? Over-stimulation is my biggest problem as an aspie, and I tend not to notice I'm getting over-stimmed until it's too late. So I want to see if I can measure it. I'm sure you could measure general indicators of anxiety like heart, breath, and blink rate, and maybe skin temperature, but I was wondering if there are more specific measurable indicators that people know about. Also, does anyone know of any good studies or papers on over-stimulation?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 2:20 pm

It varies from person to person. For me, when I get stressed, I will drink more root beer, stay in bed too long in the morning, not eat as well (or not at all) and other things I can't think of at the moment. So when you find yourself stressed out, make a list. I don't see much of a difference between stress and over-stimulation.

luckbug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2011, 2:49 pm

the external behavior stuff varies from person to person, but I was wondering if there are actual biological indicators. For example, when you're anxious, your heart rate increases, and many people notice this, but not all. But whether you notice it or not, you can still measure it. And stress certainly leads to over-stimulation, but I'm pretty sure it's different. When I'm stressed, I can still speak in full sentences. When I'm over-stimulated, I can't.