Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 7:19 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:
Your thoughts about Moses?

the middle east is crawling with moses's. which one are you talking about?

The one who had to pamper God. :lol:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 7:37 am

MCalavera wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:
Your thoughts about Moses?

the middle east is crawling with moses's. which one are you talking about?

The one who had to pamper God. :lol:

most of them kiss floors everyday in homage to their allah, so i am afraid i still cannot determine which one is the subject of the original post.
it is of no consequence anyway because i only knew one moses, and i am sure that the OP was not referring to him.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 8:47 am

Natty_Boh wrote:
Moog wrote:
Nice beard.

Yeah, but the horns are a bit off-putting.

A case of "lost in translation" Iam afraid, Moses exposure to Gods radiation resulted in him giving off rays or beams from his face, someone translated this as horns.

Moses prefiguered Christ who will bring the "plagues" of Revelation to unGodly mankind, lead his people out of slavery to the current world system, (dont think your a slave?, try surviving if you dont bother to turn up for work), through the hard times of the coming tribulations, and into the promised land.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 10:48 am

Do you know what Tziporah said to Moses on their wedding night? Go down Moses .....

ruveyn

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 11:04 am

Jesus saves.

Moses invests.

And that's honestly all I think about when I think of Moses...that old joke. That and Charleton Heston.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 12:43 pm

Nambo wrote:
Natty_Boh wrote:
Moog wrote:
Nice beard.

Yeah, but the horns are a bit off-putting.

A case of "lost in translation" Iam afraid, Moses exposure to Gods radiation resulted in him giving off rays or beams from his face, someone translated this as horns.

I know...but I really should be careful about making jokes around PGD, it seems...ah well.

Whenever the day is done."

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:32 pm

01001011 wrote:
Moses probably doesn't exist but a fictional character.

---
What? That sounds so much like worshipping an invisible God?

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:37 pm

Janissy wrote:
Jesus saves.

Moses invests.

And that's honestly all I think about when I think of Moses...that old joke. That and Charleton Heston.

---

Well, both were on the right track: save and invest.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 12:00 am

Was it Moses who came up with laws like, if a menstruating woman touches a pot, it must be destroyed?
I think that question sums up my opinion of Moses.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 6:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Was it Moses who came up with laws like, if a menstruating woman touches a pot, it must be destroyed?
I think that question sums up my opinion of Moses.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Actually, when you consider it wasnt that long ago we had no notion of germs, lack of doctor handwashing in hospitals, even after touching the dead, lead to lots of other deaths and a high rate of infant mortality, yet for some reason Moses knew that if you touch a dead animal, even if you only pass your hands over a bowl, thet bowl was then unclean for 24 hours.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

04 Feb 2011, 8:36 am

I was watching a documentary last night where Louis Theroux went to talk to Zionists who were taking over Palestinian properties in Jerusalem. At one point he went to some kind of Zionist pep-rally thing where they had an orthodox Jewish rock band playing, if you can imagine that, and all these guys in yarmulkes were pogoing around by the stage, and I turned to my hubby and asked 'Is that the Moshe pit?'

:roll: Sorry.

Re Moses...there appears to be evidence that the people who came to call themselves 'Israelites' never made an Exodus, that they were a breakaway tribe who were already in Canaan in the first place, and that many of the stories about them coming in, killing all the Canaanites and destroying their cities were wishful thinking, introduced into the scripture in the later centuries BCE). So there may not have ever been a Moses who led his people to the Promised Land, but there might have been a charismatic leader who helped amalgamate them into an actual tribe, and eventually, a nation. History and legend, mostly the latter, have added to his reputation over the years until he's the 'horned' guy in the Sistine Chapel, and/or Charlton Heston.

The laws in the Torah show something of the thought process 'Moses' (to use that symbolic name for the many people who must have been responsible for them) must have gone through. It's all about separation, about enforcing categories in people's minds, which have to be kept separate. The inside and outside of the body (hence the taboos on bodily fluids). Men and women (so no wearing the other gender's clothes). Family and non-family (no incest). OK to eat and not OK to eat. And most importantly, things Jews do and things non-Jews do. A lot of the 'unclean' activities which are forbidden (especially the sexual and magico-religious crimes) are things that were part of the customs of the neighboring tribes and nations, and it's possible that at least some of the 'unclean' animals were sacred among those tribes. Not doing those things defined you as an Israelite rather than one of those 'funny foreigners'. Most groups of humans have used similar taboos to define who is and isn't one of them, but Judaism did it more extensively than most.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Feb 2011, 9:43 pm

pgd wrote:
What do you think about Moses from the Old Testament? Your view?

Moses lived for 40 years in Egyptian nobility.
Moses spent 40 years in Midian training for the day he would lead God's people out of slavery.
Moses suffered from diffidence but this did not disqualify him.
Moses had humility. He was “the meekest of all the men who were upon the surface of the ground.” (Numbers 12:3)
Moses also had a temper (Nu 20:1-13; De 32:50-52; Ps 106:32, 33)
Moses was willing to admit his mistakes and to write them down.
Moses candidly relates his failure to give God glory on one occasion and the devastating punishment God meted out. (Numbers 20:2-12; Deuteronomy 1:37)
Moses writes of his own negligence in failing to have his son circumcised. (Exodus 4:24-26)
Moses was willing to take suggestions from others. (Exodus 18:13-24)
Moses was an impressive writer. He left behind an astonishing collection of writings. These include poetry (Job, Psalm 90), historic prose (Genesis, Exodus, Numbers), genealogies (Genesis, chapters 5, 11, 19, 22, 25), and a remarkable body of legislation called the Law of Moses (Exodus, chapters 20-40; Leviticus; Numbers; Deuteronomy). This divinely inspired Law contained concepts, laws, and principles of government that were centuries ahead of their time. The Law of Moses also contained concepts of hygiene and disease control, such as the quarantining of sick people and the disposal of human waste, that harmonize with current science. (Leviticus 13:1-59; 14:38, 46; Deuteronomy 23:13) This is remarkable considering that much of Egyptian medicine in Moses’ day was a dangerous mixture of quackery and superstition. In developing lands today, millions could be spared from disease and death if the standards of hygiene taught by Moses were practiced.

Myth: Moses did not know of his Jewish heritage.
Fact: Moses was nursed by his Jewish mother, evidently for a few years. (Exodus 2:5-10) Acts 7:23-25 indicates that Moses viewed the Jewish slaves as “his brothers.”

Myth: Moses was a rival for the throne of Egypt.
Fact: The Bible makes no such claim. Daily Bible Illustrations, by John Kitto, says that there is no reason to believe that Moses “by this adoption became the heir of the crown. . . . It does not appear that there was any probable want of male heirs to the crown.”

Myth: Moses returned to Egypt to face his enemy.
Fact: The Bible says that all his enemies were dead when he returned.—Exodus 4:19.

Myth: God first spoke the Ten Commandments after Moses ascended Mount Sinai.
Fact: The Ten Commandments were spoken by God, through his angel, to the entire nation of Israel. After that, the frightened Israelites asked Moses to go up and speak for them.—Exodus 19:20–20:19; 24:12-14; Acts 7:53; Hebrews 12:18, 19.

Myth: Pharaoh survived the destruction of his army at the Red Sea.
Fact: “Pharaoh and his military force” perished at the Red Sea.—Exodus 14:28; Psalm 136:15.

Note how Jesus was a prophet Like Moses

Moses and Jesus both escaped the wholesale slaughter of male infants as ordered by the ruler of their time.—Exodus 1:22; 2:1-10; Matthew 2:13-18.
Moses was called out of Egypt with Jehovah’s “firstborn,” the nation of Israel. Jesus was called out of Egypt as God’s firstborn Son.—Exodus 4:22, 23; Hosea 11:1; Matthew 2:15, 19-21.
Moses and Jesus both fasted for 40 days in wilderness locations.—Exodus 34:28; Matthew 4:1, 2.
Moses and Jesus were exceptionally meek and humble.—Numbers 12:3; Matthew 11:28-30.
Moses and Jesus both performed miracles.—Exodus 14:21-31; Psalm 78:12-54; Matthew 11:5; Mark 5:38-43; Luke 7:11-15, 18-23.
Moses and Jesus both served as mediators of covenants between God and His people.—Exodus 24:3-8; 1 Timothy 2:5, 6; Hebrews 8:10-13; 12:24.

The former things have passed away."

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 11:17 am

kxmode wrote:
Moses and Jesus were exceptionally meek and humble.—Numbers 12:3; Matthew 11:28-30.

Meek humble Jesus flogging the merchants who sold sacrifices to the people who came into Jerusalem from out of town. Kicking over their tables and flogging them. Some meek and humble that is.

Meek humble Moses ordering the death of thousands who worshiped the Golden Calf. Some meek and humble that is.

ruveyn

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 11:22 am

Moses was clearly a Totalitarian Leftist, who wanted to control every one of his people's thoughts and actions, down to the tiniest details.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 1:04 pm

Moses was also very racist. Look at the genocide he carried out against the Midianites.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 5:22 pm

Come to think of it, Moses' wife, Zipporah, was a Midianite. Then, in Numbers 31, Moses orders the Midianites to be obliterated. Except for young female virgin Midianites, who were kept for sex slaves.