How do I stop myself from having crushes?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 6:27 am

How do I stop myself having crushes because right now, I really don't want to screw up, I just hate the fact that I have them, I saw this quiet person that I see around, she doesn't seem to be hanging around with her mates as such and she seems smart and I only wanted to get to know her.

Next thing you know, I now start having a little crush but I don't want to cheat and I don't want to end up being a royal butt just for making the same mistake that I did ages back (it's a long story).

What do I do to stop this? I can't stand it.

To make matters worse, one of my best mate tells me that me and her would suit each other... <sarcasm>Great that was so helpful </sarcasm>

- SBI. :/

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 6:30 am

I have crushes all the time. But i'd never do anything about them because I love my boyfriend.
If you love your partner, you shouldn't even think of acting on it - if you want this other girl, break up first.
Cheats suck.

I think you can't stop yourself having crushes but you can stop yourself from acting on them.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 6:34 am

I don't think you need to stop it. I find 'Crushes' mildly enjoyable. If you are in a monogamous relationship, then acting on it would be different. Can you not trust yourself to not act?

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 6:57 am

Public castration is a good idea.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:02 am

Laz wrote:
Public castration is a good idea.

Laz - ever with the moderate view :lol:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:02 am

Self-control is what you need.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 8:23 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Self-control is what you need.

I don't think I have a very good self-control, however I can strangely enough keep positive.
If I could do that but I should be able to get through this.

To make matters even worse, I kinda said hi and now I have a feeling I creeped her out or something?

**So depressing**

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 9:09 am

I'm unable to stop having crushes. I don't think it's a problem. Acting on a crush takes quite a bit of intentional effort. If you neglect to make that effort, there is little risk.

But look at things logically:
Is a fling with her worth losing your entire relationship?

If it is, break up with your girlfriend now and then pursue whomever caught your attention. If it is not, keep your crush in your spank bank until you're "over her".

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 9:15 am

wefunction wrote:
I'm unable to stop having crushes. I don't think it's a problem. Acting on a crush takes quite a bit of intentional effort. If you neglect to make that effort, there is little risk.

If it is, break up with your girlfriend now and then pursue whomever caught your attention. If it is not, keep your crush in your spank bank until you're "over her".

"Spank Bank" :lmao:

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 10:08 am

Yeah, I'm real classy. :wink:

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:14 pm

I hate having crushes too. I have such a problem with not knowing how to stop and it just drags on forever. In the past I used to get so upset and obsessed. I never did anything like stalk or pursue, I just kept it to myself. I would then find someone new to obsess over or try to anyway which usually it wouldn't work. So I learned the hard way that if you are having these feelings for someone to just drop it by engaging in your hobbies. If you find yourself not being able to focus on hobbies because you are still thinking about that person then pick up a new hobby. I have found with new hobbies, it's better because it requires more focus than your already mastered hobbies and since it requires so much focus you don't have time to think about that person.

Then make a habit of when you take a break from that hobby to go outside and walk around. Unless you live in a bad neighborhood then perhaps pick up something that requires meditation or exercise.

You can also collect rocks and attach a significant value to one rock such as a stress relief rock that you hold onto when you are feeling upset. Just hold it and think about things that make you happy.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:26 pm

wefunction wrote:

Agreed.

I often still have crushes when I'm in relationships, but I've never considered acting on one (without ending my relationship first).

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:27 pm

Quote:
You can also collect rocks and attach a significant value to one rock such as a stress relief rock that you hold onto when you are feeling upset. Just hold it and think about things that make you happy.

Is that why I like to collect rocks? I'm actually headed out to the Mojave desert to collect some tomorrow - I'll be sure to grab one for pain, stress, anxiety, loneliness...what's a good "happy" rock? I'm thinking jasper... :wink:

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:39 pm

Specifically morgan hill poppy jasper for happy.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:45 pm

TheygoMew wrote:
Specifically morgan hill poppy jasper for happy.

Thanks! I'll have to settle for Cady Mountains Jasper 'cause that's where I'm going: colors are similar, but it's banded more than ocellated.

Now where did I put my Willie Nelson CD? :wink:

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 1:07 pm

I don't know. Where did you put your Willie Nelson cd?