Should politicians be allowed to write books on faith?



Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page:

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 1624

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Sen. Joseph Lieberman writing book about Sabbath
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110203/ap_ ... lieberman/
---
Future Titles
How My Faith Became Stronger At The Clinton White House by Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky - co-authors
Why I Believe Torture (waterboarding) Is Good by George Bush, Jr. (saved Christian)
Why I Believe Torture (waterboarding) Is Bad by Barack Obama (saved Christian)
Why I Believe I Am Descended From The Sun God by the Emperor of Japan (unsaved, non-Christian)
Why I Believe The Roman Senate Will Declare Me A God by Julius Caesar (unsaved, non-Christian)
Why I Am A Saved Scientologist From Hollywood And Bound For Glory by Tom Cruise (actor, saved Scientologist)(faux future title)
Why I Am A Saved Protestant Christian by Ned Flanders - next door neighbor to Homer Simpson
How I Lost And Found My Faith By Reading Posts At WP (on the topic of Politics, Philosophy, and Religion) by Believer Anonymous
and so on...
Words: attempt at humor, humor, irony, satire, etc.



Last edited by pgd on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 11156
Location: New Orleans, LA

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Sure. They're still free to express their faith.

I just wish that it'd be more of a determining factor of why NOT to vote for such a person.


_________________
Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1823

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson


Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 9745

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:02 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Sure. They're still free to express their faith.

I just wish that it'd be more of a determining factor of why NOT to vote for such a person.


On the flipside, people could also argue that a good reason why one shouldn't vote for a liberal is because liberals believe in moral relativism and can't get it through their heads there is such thing as right and wrong.

You want to start persecuting people based on the fact they are religious and think there is no problem with that, then obviously you shouldn't be in office.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 31558
Location: New Jersey

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 pm

pgd wrote:
Sen. Joseph Lieberman writing book about Sabbath
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110203/ap_ ... lieberman/
---
Future Titles
How My Faith Became Stronger At The Clinton White House by Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky - co-authors
Why I Believe Torture (waterboarding) Is Good by George Bush, Jr. (saved Christian)
Why I Believe Torture (waterboarding) Is Bad by Barack Obama (saved Christian)
Why I Believe I Am Descended From The Sun God by the Emperor of Japan (unsaved, non-Christian)
Why I Believe The Roman Senate Will Declare Me A God by Julius Caesar (unsaved, non-Christian)
Why I Am A Saved Scientologist From Hollywood And Bound For Glory by Tom Cruise (actor, saved Scientologist)(faux future title)
Why I Am A Saved Protestant Christian by Ned Flanders - next door neighbor to Homer Simpson
How I Lost And Found My Faith By Reading Posts At WP (on the topic of Politics, Philosophy, and Religion) by Believer Anonymous
and so on...
Words: attempt at humor, humor, irony, satire, etc.


In a free country anyone can write a book on anything that it pleases him to write.

ruveyn



thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:00 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: On The Road...Somewhere

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 pm

[quote="Inuyasha"]
On the flipside, people could also argue that a good reason why one shouldn't vote for a liberal is because liberals believe in moral relativism and can't get it through their heads there is such thing as right and wrong.
[quote]

Im just amazed that our country is not in worse shape than it is. The progressive movement has been going on since the early 1900's, if 100 years have passed and they still have not completely succeeded yet, they dont have their act together.

but see my signature below, i believe moral relativism/relativists will eventually utterly and totally destroy this country, only God Himself could do more damage.


_________________
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.


raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 2235
Location: Indiana

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 pm

I would be more concerned about the general population who would buy and read these kind of books than the politicians who write them.



Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 2051

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:08 pm

As far as I am concerned, anybody can write a book about anything they want.

If they can find a publisher and people want to buy the book then good for them.

This is called free speech.



TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 29511
Location: California

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Why not? As long as they aren't actively trying to incorporate their religious beliefs into our laws, they aren't doing anything unconstitutional.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 5973
Location: Arizona

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 am

they can write whatever they want



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 31558
Location: New Jersey

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:32 am

Wombat wrote:
As far as I am concerned, anybody can write a book about anything they want.

If they can find a publisher and people want to buy the book then good for them.

This is called free speech.


More like free write.

ruveyn



Last edited by ruveyn on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 11156
Location: New Orleans, LA

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:44 am

Inuyasha wrote:
On the flipside, people could also argue that a good reason why one shouldn't vote for a liberal is because liberals believe in moral relativism and can't get it through their heads there is such thing as right and wrong.



You talking about moral relativism is laughable....you the person who doesn't consider statutory rape to be "rape rape". :roll:


_________________
Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1823

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson


richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 14976
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:31 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Why not? As long as they aren't actively trying to incorporate their religious beliefs into our laws, they aren't doing anything unconstitutional.
but believe me if they could get away with it they would


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 2315
Location: Galway, Ireland

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 am

Quote:
Im just amazed that our country is not in worse shape than it is. The progressive movement has been going on since the early 1900's, if 100 years have passed and they still have not completely succeeded yet, they dont have their act together.

but see my signature below, i believe moral relativism/relativists will eventually utterly and totally destroy this country, only God Himself could do more damage.


Well it beats bloody religious morality; killing for apostasy and homosexuality, putting down women, and convincing half the world there is something inherently evil about sex. I'd take a million moral relativists before I'd watch Ireland absorb the cesspit of American Ethics.


_________________
The scientist only imposes two things, namely truth and sincerity, imposes them upon himself and upon other scientists - Erwin Schrodinger

Member of the WP Strident Atheists


skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 11156
Location: New Orleans, LA

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:51 am

richardbenson wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Why not? As long as they aren't actively trying to incorporate their religious beliefs into our laws, they aren't doing anything unconstitutional.
but believe me if they could get away with it they would


You mean like with abortion issues or faith based projects being given money or faith driven initiatives like abstinence only "sex ed" programs?


_________________
Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1823

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson


ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 2315
Location: Galway, Ireland

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:56 am

Quote:
You mean like with abortion issues or faith based projects being given money or faith driven initiatives like abstinence only "sex ed" programs?


It's fine to be Religious and a Political, but the two always intermingle. Faith Schools should be shut,and unintelligent design should be pulled.


_________________
The scientist only imposes two things, namely truth and sincerity, imposes them upon himself and upon other scientists - Erwin Schrodinger

Member of the WP Strident Atheists


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page:




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: