Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

asperges
Raven
Raven

05 Feb 2011, 7:43 pm

I was invited to a house for a super bowl party on Sunday. It was in the form of a facebook invitation. The host invited about 100 people, but probably didn't expect everyone to show up. She has over 1000 friends on facebook, and I noticed her ex boyfriend wasn't on the list so I'm guessing she put a little bit of thought into it. That said, since we met a few months back, we've only seen each other a few times and only by accident.

I have a couple concerns. First, there will probably be several people there that I don't know. I'm guessing about 20 people will show up and I may know five of them. This may be a problem because in these types of situations, as confident as I may be, people around me will be talking and I won't know what to say. This is true for any social event, but the fact that I don't know much about football doesn't help.

My next concern is I want to make a good impression. As I've mentioned, this is the first time I've ever been invited to something with this person. Even though it was one out of 100, I think she was still aware that she picked me. I see this as an opportunity to show that we should hang out again. But I also realize that if I don't perform well, this could be an impediment to that goal.

I anticipate getting at least one more invitation later on today or Sunday. Should I go to both? If I do should I spend the first or second half of the game at the party that this post is about? On the one side, showing up later will show that it's "no big deal" to me even though it is. On the other side, if I stay for the first half, it gives me an out if things don't go well (but I if it does go well, I'd end up leaving before I want to because I promised the other people I'd be there).

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 9:43 pm

I like the second option, if you're nervous. Plus, it could give you an excuse to hang out later.
But, many people arrive at parties late. Even if you are one of those people that like to be on time for everything, getting there on time might lead to awkwardness if there isn't anyone to act as a buffer.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 6:54 am

i think jamesongerbil offers a good perspective - last two parties i went to i arrived late; though they weren't in the same night. i don't regret arriving when i did, but at the same time the parties didn't go super well lol (for diff reasons.....)

Allstar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2011, 12:35 pm

Go to the second half. I doubt it will go so bad that you'll want to make an escape.

asperges
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2011, 7:57 pm

I'm at the event. There are about 30 people here. I am doing okay socially, but I'm not where I want to be. I'm talking to a few people, but we're in the back. I talked to the host but she's not really focused on more than a couple people. I know most of the people here, but I just don't seem to fit in how I'd like to. Advise? Help?

asperges
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2011, 9:21 pm

Let me elaborate. Right now I'm sitting with a group of a few friends. The problem is, I don't need to work on deepening my friendship with them (at least not as much as with others) but it seems as though the only time I dont feel awkward or feel as though I'm making the person I'm talking to awkward is when I'm with these few people. I don't know why but that's the way it is.

In any case, I want to get to socialize with others, especially the host, but everytime I do it's always awkward because I don't know how to carry on a conversation with them. HELP.

If you read this message after tonight, you can still respond for future reference.

asperges
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2011, 7:29 pm

Surely someone has a suggestion

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Feb 2011, 7:58 pm

I was at my sisters. taked with my brother in law about his work etc. it was fun, my sister and me basically like reinacting our sh***y childhoods and it makes her husband laugh

we love sharades. its toally are thing :pig:

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 9:01 am

im pretty sure i know right where you were at. last two parties i was at the host and i just didn't rly connect, i just stuck close by to a few people...i do wish i could help tho...

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 9:01 am

im pretty sure i know right where you were at. last two parties i was at the host and i just didn't rly connect, i just stuck close by to a few people...i do wish i could help tho...