Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 8:22 pm

She is aware of it, is on medication and seeing a psychiatrist; but at the same time does not see that her current delusion (that someone is trying to break in) is a delusion. Is it advisable to gently try to convince her when she brings it up, or is it better that I leave it entirely alone?

Whenever the day is done."

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 8:29 pm

I have been there myself. Spent 3-4 months in hospital.

Just be yourself but maybe play less jokes than normal, if that is something you do in case she gets worried about it.

If she brings anything up, just ask her about it briefly but always keep calm.

Never forcefully change the subject either.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 9:02 pm

Just keep an open dialogue with her about it. Find out if she has any plans for defending herself from this delusion. Chances are she won't attack anybody preemptively, but check that there isn't a risk that she may hurt someone due to mistaken identity.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 9:26 pm

Thanks. Part of my concern is aggravating the delusion somehow - I don't want to inadvertently lend it more credence in her mind. Another friend (who may or may not be aware of the real situation) suggested she decorate her door; in case there really is someone who was just drunk or confused, the decoration might deter them in future. I started to second that idea, but if it doesn't work, will it just serve to convince her there is someone who means her harm...? I don't know a lot about the condition; much less the rules of the game in discussing it even on a friend-to-friend level...there's research ahead.

Whenever the day is done."