Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

marleneriedor100
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2006, 7:50 pm

Do aspie children commonly find themselves frustrated? And how do you deal with it?

That's the question I sometimes find myself asking about my son. He is going to be eighteen. He still has episodes of frustration.

I just do not know how many computer mice I have gone through alone in the past two years. I could be sitting watching tv and he could be using the computer. All of a sudden, I hear a harsh sound. Need I know he just smashed the mouse against the desk. He has cracked pens and slammed doors when things don't go right. Sometimes our computer system crashes and my son seems to throw a tantrum. He will be eighteen and I just wish he could be able to handle frustration better than this. Some people at his school think he's irritable.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 12:56 am

From what I have heard, this sort of frustration is sometimes common with AS. I believe you mentioned somewhere your son also has adhd. I was diagnosed with that early on, and I commonly get frustrated. I don't throw computer equipment around, however. I just tend to get vocal with myself. I would imagine making him pay for what he breaks may make him think twice. I'm not sure what you're doing about it, like if he's breaking computer mice and pens only, it seems to only be things that aren't too expensive.

But I do imagine you're using a Windows based system, cause it's prone to periodic crashes. Maybe you could try Linux or Firefox or Mozilla. I hear they don't crash as much as Internet Explorer, and they're better browsers. Linux, which I don't have, is said to be a better OS.

- Ray M -

ster
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 5:34 am

smashing things sounds very familiar

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2006, 6:48 am

yes they have frustration issues.. and they beat themselves up more.. your son sounds if he has anger issues.. it seems that maybe it started as frustration but as he got older it turned into anger issues. he needs to learn how to control this. what will he be like when he meets someone he wants to spend time with and she sees that he is very angry, i would tell my daughter to RUN! your son needs counsel. he needs to learn how to control this. my gets frustrated at 9. hopefully at 18 he will understand that to destroy property will not be acceptable.