Why do boys want good-looking girls?

Page 15 of 15 [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:32 pm

Zane wrote:
Chris wrote:
I do not understand why people buy Windows computers when Macintosh computers look nicer and are much more user-friendly.

You might be to young to remember the 90's but they were dominated by Microsoft. Living in Seattle, I grew up on PC's. I have said it once and I will say it again Microsoft is more professional an specifically targets the business demographic not the college kids or the trendy scene. Bill Gates newest design is created to help restaurants for goodness sake.

PCs automatically back files up so in the case of freezing up or loss of power you will have all data saved. For an additional 3-400 dollars MAC will provide you with a time portal.

PCs are constantly updating thus I can get a fully loaded computer for 1k as opposed to a basic system for 1.5k.

Steve Jobs is an as*hole. Never met him but have grown up watching his interviews, reading about his business ethic, and enjoying PC's superiority. Truth is PC's are for the elite. Those who know, use Linix and a PC. If it was not for the I-Pod franchise MAC would not be here today.

In their defense MAC has far easier and just as efficient media designed software and dominates the market as far as user compatibility goes. Also you get what you pay for and they are by no means a bad company.

Just so you know guys, mac's are pc's. Unless apple is building servers marketed as media centers or the definition of "personal computer" has changed...

Quote:
I work out 3-4 days a week. Why? To stay healthy, live longer, enjoy all of the amazing benefits.

What I am saying is watching as "fat people" in general eat another McDonalds burger or guzzle down their Circle K "Big Gulp" (containing three serving min) or anything else along those lines I become very, very, very disgusted.

It is one thing if my 5' 8" 130-145lbs ass eats a burger. I earned that right. But when that 200+ lbs woman decides to sacrfice health over glutony I say good riddence.

Diabetes isn't a disease its population control. Too much sugar is NOT HEALTHY.

Explain to me then, why I, a man who goes for walking/running for about 2.5 miles a day 6 days a week (far more exercise than anyone else in my family) and has a rather healthy diet for a college student (greatly reduced sugar intake, eliminated chocolate altogether, increased amount of fruits/vegetables and all that jazz), is the fattest guy in the family... Would you denounce me as unhealthy too? Granted, I'm a guy, so there's physiological differences, but the message is the same: Not all fatasses are lazy, sit around bums... Many of them are, but not all...

Quote:
Sorry didn't mean to go on a tangent.

Don't worry about it... I for one am the master of trigonometry, if you catch my meaning...

Quote:
Long story short:

When you are young it is all about IMAGE.

If image is all one cares about, then that person is shallow...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:04 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
I have a question to all guys and girls who don't believe that beauty detection is biologically-based:

When you got wet dreams or you have wet thoughts? Do you see unattractive/fat girls/skinny/shorty guys in your wet thoughts/dreams? Or you see some sexy individual?

Well obviously a sexy individual. Good looks play a huge part in the natural selection based upon our genetics. However the standards of different cultures can also play a role in what is "desirable". There are many different acculturations with what is beautiful aside from the naturally endowed. In the west, many would probably not see some of these standards diserable. But we too play a role in them as well. For example when a girl gets her nails done, when a guy goes for a certain clothing, and when both sexes get their hair done. This may be based on the hierarchy of status among men just as it does women.

Here are some examples.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:57 pm

dear lord, that last one is scary...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:59 pm

:lmao:

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 8:06 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
I have a question to all guys and girls who don't believe that beauty detection is biologically-based:

When you got wet dreams or you have wet thoughts? Do you see unattractive/fat girls/skinny/shorty guys in your wet thoughts/dreams? Or you see some sexy individual?

Well obviously a sexy individual. Good looks play a huge part in the natural selection based upon our genetics. However the standards of different cultures can also play a role in what is "desirable". There are many different acculturations with what is beautiful aside from the naturally endowed. In the west, many would probably not see some of these standards diserable. But we too play a role in them as well. For example when a girl gets her nails done, when a guy goes for a certain clothing, and when both sexes get their hair done. This may be based on the hierarchy of status among men just as it does women.

For the record I don't think guys are attracted to clothing, only woman with less clothing. We don't notice when you get a hair cut either. :lol: I like finger nails, good to have clawed into my back. :oops:

I think to be more atractive you have to conform to fashion. Those women were following the extreme fashion of their cultures.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 8:25 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Well obviously a sexy individual. Good looks play a huge part in the natural selection based upon our genetics. However the standards of different cultures can also play a role in what is "desirable".

When did you become a scientist?

Since I now know that you are a scientist can you help me get rid of this damn hair that's covering my face?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 8:28 pm

Foot binding was not invented in China by women there are plenty of stories by men who described the small feet of women as desiring.

I believe your view but there are other aspects when it comes to the questioning of what's attractive besides natural selection and that can be the cultural pressures put on one. Anoerexia is an example of one although it's not good for anyone, most magazines of models are rail thin whether they have an eating disorder or not. Unintentionally, it is natural for a young girl to believe her body should be that of which is seen mostly in the media. But again this is just an example out of the western culture.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 8:34 pm

Well maybe being skinny is a fashion now. So being skinny makes you more attractive because you are following the fashion. Just like African woman with the plate in her mouth. :?

imipak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2008, 10:14 pm

MR_BOGAN wrote:
Well maybe being skinny is a fashion now. So being skinny makes you more attractive because you are following the fashion. Just like African woman with the plate in her mouth. :?

Some elements of fashion are non-arbitrary, but are based on very real indicators that were important at the time. There's no universal rule, but the general rule of thumb is that high status is more attractive than low status.

In societies where fat people are the 'in-thing', you are likely to find that the people most likely to be fat are those who have significant status or significant resources. It is also likely to be a society geared towards capitalism (ie: people's access to healthcare, education and jobs are a function of how rich they are to start off with) or which is too poor to provide the necessary facilities.

Countries that are equalitarian and rich enough to be able to afford equal access are likely to favour thin people. Why? Because once everyone has equal access to everything, those who waste the least become the ones who have the most. Classical-era Greece was an early attempt at an equalitarian system, which is why most Greek statues and paintings of tht time depict thin people.

Most societies that deform their women (and men) do so in an attempt to show off status. The Celts used to place gold torcs round the necks of women. The richer and more powerful the woman, the bigger, more elaborate and heavier the torc, and therefore the more extreme the deformity that resulted. The pictures posted are variants of the same idea, with different castes and different classes of individual deformed differently to reflect that status.

Clothes fashions serve exactly the same purpose. High-heel shoes deform feet, permanentl wreck the ankles and spine, and cause serious damage to those parts of the brain handling balance. Because a higher heel reflected a more expensive shoe and therefore a greater status, women voluntarily destroyed their minds and bodies to achieve the greater status.

These days, laser eye surgery has a higher prestige value than glasses, so men and women vountarily get their eyeballs melted and deformed (occasionally blinding them permanently) in the effort to boast their status. Botox is the toxin produced by botulism (the Black Death) and causes muscle paralysis. It's more expensive than wrinkles, so it's a money boast, a status show-off. That those who use it have inflicted serious damage is not a consideration.

The so-called "classical" good look (such as a symmetrical face and proportional features) is not and never has been of interest to the vast majority of people. They're social climbers who want to use the status of their SO to go that much further.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 10:37 pm

:? You might be on to something there. Fashion is really trying to look like you have higher social status. So if you want to follow fashion, try to look like you have high social status.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 11:41 pm

Well, some of us DON'T want to follow fashion and don't give a stuff what ignorant, shallow minded people think of us just because we have the common sense not to deform ourselves, risk skin cancers (from getting a tan), and so on.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.