Am I stupid for being in a lower class?

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

JacobV
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

user1001 wrote:
I am male and 17 and I think I have autism or aspurgers and I would like to know am I dumb for being put back in a special math class? I was in special modified math classes for two years and then I finaly moved into my algerbra 1 class during when I was a junior and I tried it for one semester and I failed it but I feel so stupid because now I am going back into a remidial math class. I think I may be more autistic because I think people with aspurgers would be to smart to be put back in a special class. So now I think I am more autistic than aspurgers. I also feel really stupid now and I wonder if I have something wrong with me becasue I failed a low class. Am I the only one?

I am male and 31. I used to do very well in school. in the 90's or A's across the board. I scored 1410 on my SAT's back in 1999. I never felt stupid until I started working for a living. I was unable to find a job that wanted me so I ended up working building maintenance, carpentry, plumbing, cleaning, etc... stuff that I taught myself from scratch with wikipedia, youtube, and tradesmen forums. It is hard, dirty, and humbling work but I'm glad to be working and not on SSI. Not only is this a lower-class job that makes little money, or as we like to call it "working-class" job, I STILL get called stupid by my boss pretty consistently because I don't communicate perfectly normally "standard talk" like other workers do and he projects this on all my other skills and basically calls me stupid, slow, blind, deaf, etc... I am very good at the plumbing and carpentry aspect of the job and other people I work with praise me for it but I HATE to clean and I can't seem to or dont want to get good at it. The reality of the situation is that I have no choice but to put up with this as long as i can until I no longer can because without a college degree and without sales skills or peope skills, I will never be able to make a comfortable living and get treated with respect. I feel like nature has served me a very cold and bitter plate and I have no choice but to eat it to survive. IQ and skills have little to do with one's career and success in life. You can be a genius and a janitor at the same time if you can't emulate NT's.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that you should work on developing your people and sales skills because it matters a lot more than people will tell you in school. Some of the dumbest people are the most successful and powerful.. just because they have sales and people skills down

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

You're not stupid for failing math; I failed my remedial college math course the first time round, in fact I've had trouble with math my whole life. Have you ever been tested for dyscalculia? It's a mathematics learning disability similar to dyslexia; you have trouble memorising math facts like addition, subtraction, multiplication, have a problem with estimating low quantities of objects (most people can tell just by looking that five or ten objects are in front of them, dyscalculics have to count them). It causes trouble with telling time and estimating the length of time things take to complete, and people with it generally have a very poor sense of direction, can't remember relatively short strings of numbers easily, sometimes mix numbers up in their heads, and younger kids often have a hard time equating written numerals, e.g 4, 7, 9 with quantities of things, e.g four marbles, seven pencils, etc.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 9:17 pm

Is math your main struggle?....I have always been terrible at math, should have been put in special ed classes for it but really wasn't. I failed remedial college math twice with a tutor. So I don't know I don't think having troubles in math makes someone stupid.