Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 11:35 am

Does anyone else find this language to be one of the most repulsive ones out there? There are these two kids speaking it behind me as I type this and it is about to make me rip my skin off.

Yowuza
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 2:04 pm

I think Vietnamese sounds cool, but not as cool as Thai or Mandarin, those are my favorite tonal languages. Most people hate the sound of Vietnamese, so you're not alone. :P

Here you can listen to Vietnamese with a text, the Owl and the Pussycat:

http://pimpoapo.byethost22.com/bompa/vietnamese.html

I've heard, Ithkuil before, and it's crazy. :lol:

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 4:48 pm

Vietnamese is a horrific language, I remember seeing a kid singing a song in some Vietnam documentary, and I had to turn it off because it was so unpleasant.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 5:30 pm

Yowuza wrote:

That just sounds like a severe speech impediment.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 6:14 pm

dunbots wrote:
I think Vietnamese sounds cool, but not as cool as Thai or Mandarin, those are my favorite tonal languages. Most people hate the sound of Vietnamese, so you're not alone. :P

Mandarin is my least favorite language, simply for the phonemics. It can sound nice when spoken softly, but mostly I find it very harsh and unpleasant. I'm not a big fan of the sounds of Southeast Asian languages, either, though I still find them interesting and once started to learn a little Vietnamese (I'd been considering moving there for a little while). I enjoyed it. I'd love to learn a Southeast Asian language.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 9:49 pm

doesn't sound as nice as some, but i find it hard to dislike any language.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 10:00 pm

Fudo wrote:

Me too. Except I can't stand Swedish and Danish. :lol: I tend to love the sounds of languages that many people think sound bad, like German, Dutch, Georgian, Mandarin, Thai, Lushootseed, and probably a few more that I can't think of right now.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 12:16 am

Kaybee wrote:
Mandarin is my least favorite language, simply for the phonemics. It can sound nice when spoken softly, but mostly I find it very harsh and unpleasant.

seconded

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 5:01 am

Titangeek wrote:
Kaybee wrote:
Mandarin is my least favorite language, simply for the phonemics. It can sound nice when spoken softly, but mostly I find it very harsh and unpleasant.

seconded

Cantonese is far from pleasant. Again, its okay when spoken softly, but awful otherwise.

Irish deserves a mention as being a language s**t and horrible in every respect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqPjpUun ... A3555B9DEC

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:31 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

seconded

Irish deserves a mention as being a language sh** and horrible in every respect...

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, Irish Gaelic is awesome.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 3:05 pm

dunbots wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

seconded

Irish deserves a mention as being a language sh** and horrible in every respect...

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, Irish Gaelic is awesome.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, filter yourselves!

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 7:51 pm

dunbots wrote:
Fudo wrote:

Me too. Except I can't stand Swedish and Danish. :lol: I tend to love the sounds of languages that many people think sound bad, like German, Dutch, Georgian, Mandarin, Thai, Lushootseed, and probably a few more that I can't think of right now.

german's cool, different but i like it.. georgian accents are sexy also 8)

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2011, 7:46 pm

I only know three words of it. But when I went to a Vietnamese restaurant I couldn't resist saying loud enough for the waitress at the front desk to hear as I walked to the bathroom, " My kom chimb hurts!"

lodit
congcoo
kom chimb