Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 8:54 pm

Hello---

I have a 5.5 yr old son that is diagnosed as PDD-NOS/possible Asperger's. A little over a year ago, he started making noises in class, and then he started it at home too. I don't really know how to explain the noises except that it is like he is sort of singing or repeating words or phrases he has heard in the form of a song. He does these noises a lot when he is watching videos.

I have asked for advice on the parents forums a few times and didn't get a whole lot of answers. I understand it is a form of stimming and it is necessary for him to keep himself regulated. It is just that it is very loud, and disruptive. We have told him that he can do his noises in his room if he would like, but after awhile, it is just very hard to listen too. He does this a lot during his day.

I do think he has control over it to some degree, because when we go certain places, he doesn't do it.

I just wanted to see how many of you do this, and if you can express what need it is fulfilling when you do this. I love my son dearly, but it is becoming very problematic. My husband has started wearing earplugs because he can't take it after a while.

Also, my son is very verbal. He is talking in complete sentences and most of it makes sense. So, I don't think he is using it as any form of communication.

Just trying to see if there is something anyone has tried or done that helps them keep it a bit more under control. I am not trying to make him stop altogether, I am just hoping we can help him tone it down a bit.

Thanks for any input!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Feb 2011, 8:58 pm

angelbear wrote:
I do think he has control over it to some degree, because when we go certain places, he doesn't do it.

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say here:

There are stims I only do in certain places. It's not because I consciously choose this. I usually just start when I'm not doing something else (like typing). But I don't do those particular stims in other places unless I deliberately choose to do them. It may be that whatever's prompting that stim isn't prompting him in those certain places.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2011, 10:26 pm

I don't think I have verbal stims but I do pulse my throat (not so much now it's painful after a while) or I croak (often). I never notice when I'm doing it. When I do notice it's after I've been doing it for a while. Only then can I try to control it.

I hum in a sing song way sometimes and may say words by singing them. My friend has noted me on this. Saying I'm weird sometimes.

As far as when I do the stims, it's anywhere, as well as all my other stims.