Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Have you Experienced Doubt when tellinging someone about your AS?
Yes, quite frequently. 58%  58%  [ 23 ]
Yes, but not very often. 43%  43%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 40

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Feb 2011, 3:15 am

Oops:

I floated the idea by my mother recently, and she immediately denied it as completely impossible.

Now that my therapist has said that she thinks I could easily get a diagnosis, I think I need to bring it up again, so she'll stop telling me I have a ptsd-related emotional shutdown.

My mother also brags about my early reading, my early speech, refers to my echolalia as cute, and brags about how I was an easy baby (I only cried when I was hungry).

She loves to tell stories about my hyperlexic faux pas, as well.

Last edited by Verdandi on 21 Feb 2011, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 3:19 am

I'm 2 for 3.

My father and girlfriend think it's slam dunk. My mother thinks it's impossible.

To argue against it she said, "You know why you don't have it? My friends were always very impressed by the way you could lecture about subjects. It was just so interesting."

:lol:

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 3:23 am

I tell everyone and so far nobody has doubted it. In fact one person told me that he doubts everyone who tells him because it is the "fad" or "in" thing right now, but in my case he said he actually sees it.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:23 am

Yeah for me, Ive told a good number of people throughout the years and I get alot of responces with doubt, like I didnt know that, or you seem so normal. Ive only had 1 friend who hasnt questioned me.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:24 am

Few people question it, but nobody expects it.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 8:34 am

No-one doubts my diagnosis except for me. I question it all the time, a few years back I was close to actually asking the doctor to get rid of it, but that was more of an embarrassment thing. Now when I question it I then get reminded that it is probably accurate, especially when it comes to the topic of obsessiveness.

Reptillian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2011, 10:36 am

All I'm going to say is that if aspie symptoms comes up at adolescent age and most visible in there, it could be development of personality disorders/full development of a personality disorder and there could other which has a lot of similarity to it, so there could be reasonable doubt due to the age restrictions when it comes to having options on what label to go by and this itself could cause a lot of issue alone.

I have an acquaintance myself who is diagnosed as schizoid personality disorder, but he seems to enjoy communication so well and he laughs like a normie enjoying the surrounding. It's just questionable about the reliability of psychologists.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 10:45 am

The people that have doubted my diagnosis coincidentally didn't know anything about the condition... I don't know how you can tell someone they don't have something you don't understand, but these people didn't seem to mind doing so. :-D

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2011, 11:04 am

Bells wrote:
I know there are some people out there who claim to have AS to excuse their bad behavior or just plain self diagnosis via internet tests when they clearly don't have the syndrome.

xenos wrote:
I don't experience doubt, but it does make me angry and frustrated. I hate it when people already have their mind made up about me, saying things like "Oh, well, if you had this, you would've been diagnosed as a kid..." BS. First of all, my family always refused to have me evaluated even though I had obvious issues, I guess because it would've hurt their pride or what the hell ever. Plus it didn't help that AS was virtually unheard of in my area back then. And once I finally figured out how to seek out help for myself as an adult, I happened to get in with one of the shittiest mental health centers imaginable for many years, until only recently I got in with a better one with people who would finally evaluate/diagnose me properly. (Sorry, those of you who may have seen me mention this about 90324782879 times already...)

I have to say, the worst thing of all is probably when I have OTHER ASPIES doubt my diagnosis. It can be very upsetting and disgusting to know you meet the criteria for a syndrome 100%, go for so many years with people in general thinking you're full of sh**, and then to find that a lot of people with the same syndrome even think you're full of sh**, just because you had to figure your condition out yourself before it was confirmed by others.

Are you FRIGGIN' KIDDING me????

When I was a kid in the 1970s, THERE WAS NO SUCH THING as a diagnosis of Asperger's! At the same time, all of my report cards from early elementary school said the same thing: "X is very intelligent and writes very well, but has problems interacting with the other children in the class; seems shy and withdrawn most of the time." Ditto the parent/teacher conferences. There were times in junior high when my parents were called in to talk to the counselor because of "problems" I seemed to have "coping" in school. In the parent-child organization my parents enrolled me in as a kid, there were always problems with trying to get me to participate in the activities because the other kids would treat me as an outcast beacuse of my inability to successfully interact with them as a group - although there were some whom I could get along with as individuals. There WAS another, larger organization whose kids I seemed to interact with better, but I attribute part of that to the parents placing more of a premium on certain attributes in their children.

Be that as it may, do you know what people said back in the OLDEN DAYS before Asperger's was recognized?

He just needs to try harder to get along with the others.

-He's a daydreamer.

-Slacker.

-He's just SHY.

-Why can't you be like the OTHER kids?

-Why do YOU always have to be so DIFFICULT (different)?

He**, as a kid I was at the local middle school back in the 1970s for some program during the summer; there was a group of us kids sitting outside. They were talking and playing while I was just kinda' off to myself. This older girl looked at me and asked, "You're one of those "special" kids, aren't you? I remember sheepishly nodding YES because I realized that there was something amiss but that there wasn't a name to go with it - and even if there was, nobody would make the association with ME because I was considered "TOO SMART" for that.

Believe you ME, NO one is more glad that things have progressed to where they are today, but those who are so blessed have NO IDEA what it is like not having an answer to what is going on with oneself WITH NO HOPE FOR AN ANSWER while growing up....no framework for dealing with who you are as a person. What happens is that people then try to force you into a mold of sorts that you will NEVER FIT! HENCE, the SQUARE PEG in a ROUND HOLE:evil:

And THEN, some 40-odd years into your life YOU KNOW you've found the answer ONLY to have the rug YANKED from under your very FEET with people trying to tell you it's NOT the answer.

Oh the VERY IDEA that an adult doesn't need a diagnosis is COMPLETE and UTTER BULLCRAP because the problems you have don't just GO AWAY! They follow you through LIFE!

Oh well, at LEAST my doctor and someone who works for an Autism Services organization where I live seem to have some understanding and have encouraged me to go further.

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2011, 3:34 pm

Sorry all about the poll getting messed up. There were two more options, but somehow they didn't manage to stick...

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 3:45 pm

Bells wrote:
Sorry all about the poll getting messed up. There were two more options, but somehow they didn't manage to stick...

You have to click "add another option" (or whatever it says; it's been awhile since I've created a poll) after your last option, so it recognizes that your last option (which I assume was "No") was officially added.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:10 pm

simon_says wrote:
To argue against it she said, "You know why you don't have it? My friends were always very impressed by the way you could lecture about subjects. It was just so interesting."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :help: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2011, 7:11 pm

j0sh wrote:
simon_says wrote:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :help: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yeah, that REALLY made MY day!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :duh: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:23 pm

Just a couple years ago, when I first asked to be evaluated at the mental health center I had been going to, I had a pathetic excuse for a doctor tell me, "Well, I don't think a test for Asperger's exists."
Glad I eventually got someone to evaluate me, and I'm glad I'm getting away from that place altogether now and going somewhere better. I wouldn't be too surprised if they started treating everyone there with exorcisms and leeches soon.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 6:06 am

I have my diagnosis doubted often, because I'm pretty good at "faking it" in public. So, the only people who truly can see my AS are those who are AS experts and those who know me very personally, the "real me." But I've had countless people, both doctors and friends, "doubt" my diagnosis. It bugs me, because I know it is 100% true, but I then obsess over it and think I have to "prove" something.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 7:45 pm

I've had several people register scepticism when I first tell them I have an AS diagnosis. I was diagnosed in 2001, in my 20s, and have greatly improved since then but still have difficulty "reading between the lines" and "seeing the big picture". I notice that when I tell older people, particularly an older colleague on one occasion, I got a response to the effect of "well, you know, these days they're over-diagnosing everything, they say half the kids in school have ADHD, you don't really have anything wrong but you just have a tendency to take things literally..."

I really don't appreciate those flippant comments. Trying to generalize the problem away to be polite. However, it's a hell of a lot better than those morons who say "oh, kids these days and their excuses for bad social behaviour, in my day we'd just give them a good smack upside the head..." that's 10 times more ignorant.