Looking at one thing and seeing it broken up into components

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 10:45 am

Yes, I have trouble working out the meanings behind the details. I think it was Frith who first called it a problem of "jigsawing together the pieces." I often see shots on TV that make no sense to me at all. And I've studied lots of subjects carefully, yet had no feeling of really understanding them, even though when asked questions about it I can usually demonstrate that I know the stuff.......I presume that's because for me the subject is a string of unrelated observations, so when I try to check my understanding by asking myself "what's the subject all about?" then I have no answer. If I were able to create an overview of the subject as I studied it, I'd have a set of cues and I'd be able to use them to reconstruct the knowledge in a properly organised form.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 10:52 am

Chronos wrote:
The difficulty in identifying objects is sometimes called visual aphasia. It can be caused by thyroid problems, epilepsy, migraines, certain types of brain damage, a few other medical conditions, certain processing disorder, and schizophrenia, to name a few things.

As for the dots, they sound like phosphenes. The human vision system has noise. Most people just don't notice it unless they rub their eyes hard or stare at a blank wall or into darkness for a while, because it has always been there.

Never the less, it wouldn't hurt to have your eyes examined.

---

Words: Visual acuity, very good vision vs imperfect vision/imperfect vision to see 3D, perception, perception of motion, seeing movement/seeing movement when the movement is part of a movie film strip, etc. More words: Petit/absence seizures; ADHD Inattentive; distorted reception of sound: central auditory processing disorder (CAPD), etc. There are a few reports that a few persons with ADHD discover that their cognition, perception, even vision temporarily clears up a little due to using the right medicine. Recall reading about temporary vision/cognition/perception improvements due to Tirend / NoDoz (Source: the How To [understand] Hyperactivity book [1981] about ADHD by C. Thomas Wild with Anita Uhl Brothers, M.D.). Other words: clay, sculpting clay.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Feb 2011, 11:15 am

kfisherx wrote:
It is good and bad. In my job, I am able to see super detail and on one job could see "out" (AKA bad) pixel clusters on screens that were less than 5 large (normal people cannot see anything less than 5 normally). I could find defects in the pictures and the way our projectors where outputting. Same thing with audio. The super hypersensitivity helped me in many of my jobs.

That said, it is also the thing of overload and meltdowns. Besides taking me 4 sessions to look around in my shrink's office, I will often just freeze in stores as I try to map things in. I am confused in visually busy places all the time. That is one of the reason we (as a people) insist on routine and sameness. It save us from having to process everything.

I know I probably do this more than I consciously realize, given how often unfamiliar things stop me in my tracks. I know that every time the living room is rearranged, I visibly react because someone has to tell me it's been rearranged after it stops me cold, that a vacuumed carpet doesn't even look like the same carpet, and that when I went to look at the houses I grew up in, I didn't recognize them because of changes to the houses and the surrounding landscape. This isn't the first time I've noticed this, just the first time I noticed it explicitly since I started posting here and remembered to post about it.

I don't think I do it to the same degree you do, but I do love my familiar surroundings.

Last edited by Verdandi on 21 Feb 2011, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Feb 2011, 11:21 am

Digsy wrote:
Funny you should this because I had someone give me a plausible explanation for it.
I can see different shades of purples and red in what others see as a pitch black night sky.
Puzzled me for years, it's not just the night sky, it is indiscriminate as to what is pixelated at times, I used to suffer a sensory overload from this and get distracted trying to work out what it was.
Anyway I was talking to somebody (an acquaintance) about it and he suggested the possibility that it might just be me being oversensitive to the light and the pixelation is created by the light hitting blood vessels in the eyes or that some light receptors in the eye appear more sensitive than others, and giving me the impression that it's bitty, pixelated, or off colour.
So a white sheet of paper might look like it has grey patches, and the white appears really gritty like sandpaper.

I don't know if this is true but it is the best explanation I've had.

I don't think anyone knows what causes the visual snow, although I suspect it's not caused by light hitting blood vessels. Light hitting blood vessels causes blue field entoptic phenomenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field ... phenomenon

The visual snow is visual in any light level, and is more visible (to me) in darkness than light. I have it all the time, but I don't think about it much because I'm used to it. It managed to get much more intense and thus distracting yesterday, which I suspect had to do with a weekend of sensory overload, and especially the amount of overload in the bus station. That's just a theory, though.