Unemployed - what do you do with yourself?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RandomSniper
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2011, 12:13 pm

When I was unemployed, I did some voluntary work. It looks good on your CV.

I've been thinking of doing some voluntary work again actually - but only for one day a week.

ponder
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Apr 2015, 4:50 am

Arian wrote:
Research random stuff online

This gets so bad I always smile when someone gets arrested and their computers searched for info. Wonder what newspapers would make of my search history :mrgreen:
One thing (if you are really utterly bored) is to search for something completely innocent on images and try to get as many pages as possible before you hit something gross (it was a pass time in one of my many previous jobs, we had way too much time).
Spidering trough wikipedia also leads to amazing discoveries.

Haven't been unemployed long (yet) this time.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 2:11 pm

What do you do with yourself? I have been playing with myself I have been debating online and learning how to code with Java and C++.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 3:39 pm

been unemployed since January 2006, laid off from civil service by shrub during a RIF he and his cronies ordered. not really employable at this point, just living from day to day until god calls me home.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 12:49 am

- Apply to 20-100 jobs every week (30 hours guideline given by government),
- get rejected by every job (they probably get my medical info and decline on those grounds),
- get yelled at by family to get a job,
- go to jobcentre every fortnight.

Pretty much this repeated for the last 5 months. Let's admit no one wants to hire people who can't handle high pressure or high amounts of communication roles even in the most remote jobs.

Rest of time I dedicate as leisure time, watch TV, play games, and surviving life with whatever it throws my way.

Find it infuriating though as some big corporation hires my younger brother whos got less qualifications than me except he has a 12-month apprenticeship on his belt which has nothing to do with his line of work.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, I live next to a major city so I really don't know whats going on.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 8:57 pm

Technically I've been unemployed since July 2014, when I graduated with my Masters of IT Management.

I've been applying for full time jobs since fall of 2012...

After going to the Beta Gamma Sigma (business honor society) event where I was initiated, I talked to some of my fellow classmates who are also graduating/have graduated with me/graduated after me, haven't been able to land work either and they have nothing wrong with them.

They have had the same experiences as me from employers.

So I feel better about myself now...

Right now I just run errands, take my grandmother places, work on my site, work on my software ideas, while seriously considering starting my own company.

I'll probably start my own software company soon, if I can't get hired anywhere...

aarpar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2015, 7:29 pm

I'm an artist. I usually work on writing my webcomic, making electronic music and cleaning my apartment.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 3:10 am

games, wp, tv(though hard to watch tv shows and movies, feel so predictable and like i've seen them all, years of watching all the time) youtube til I run out of new stuff to watch, browser games, and recently I started lurking on a wet shaving forum.

then theres looking for work , on my 2nd job developer now. they feel hopeful, after last one I don't. I lack experience and have credit debt. lots of ex military people trying to do security, they tend to pickt them over an inexperienced aspie with 2 years of seasonal cashiering experience.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 3:15 am

I exercise regularly during the day [as much as my back will allow] and perform digital signal processing on corrupted audio files. also I listen regularly to "coast to coast" on the radio every night.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 10:09 pm

sly279 wrote:
and recently I started lurking on a wet shaving forum.

Lol, watch out. If my husband is any indication, that can become an addiction. A pricey one.

His favorite site is the Shave Nook. They actually have a subforum on cooking, so he also gives me links to recipes he wants me to try.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 2:41 pm

MissDorkness wrote:
sly279 wrote:
and recently I started lurking on a wet shaving forum.

Lol, watch out. If my husband is any indication, that can become an addiction. A pricey one.

His favorite site is the Shave Nook. They actually have a subforum on cooking, so he also gives me links to recipes he wants me to try.

already too late. I already want more brushes and soaps. thoguh currently having problems getting good lather from my $13 soap. :/ I love the scents but it just havent got as good lather as from cella soap. going have to keep messing with it I guess.

yeah I'd like to one day try making my own soap. I'm on badgerandblade. though I've read a few things on shave nook.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 9:58 am

What I've done when unemployed: work out, apply to stuff (duh), set up resumes to apply to stuff when relevant stuff appears, collect random certifications, volunteer (possibly making use of the certifications), spring cleaning, donate useless stuff to Goodwill, take that camping trip with friends, read, write stuff, attempt to learn a new language, listen to or watch one of the Great Courses from my local library, have my friend who cooks all his meals for the week or month ahead of time come over and teach me to perform such magic, finally bother to use my gift cards, make a list of things I need and want, go to dollar day and half off everything day at Goodwill with my list of things I need and want in hand, agree to watch kids or pets or homes, put together a gingerbread style Victorian dollhouse for someone who bought the kit and never got around to it, help friends move, try out those workout videos, review my emergency kit, check expiration dates on everything, any repairs or upkeep I've been delaying for "when I find the time."