Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2011, 3:34 pm

js3521 wrote:
I'm below average at recognizing sarcasm, though I get the intended meaning most of the time (at least I think I do 8O ). My biggest problem is knowing how to respond to people who are using sarcasm. When people see me struggling to respond, they tend to assume that I didn't understand it.

When I use sarcasm, I'm bad at giving cues that what I'm saying is sarcastic. My sarcastic comments usually come across as deadpan.

Thats exatcly how I feel. My family seem to get me when I'm being sarcastic but no body else!

I hate scarcasm anyway so try not to use it. To me, its just plain mean and nasty or is that a misunderstnading?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 3:42 pm

I usually avoid being sarcastic because it can be so easily taken the wrong way. Sometimes I might think I'm being funny by pointing out some fallacy in a sarcastic way, but the other person may not see it that way and be offended.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 3:44 pm

I usually deadpan the delivery. That makes people question it but people who get to know me usually see the humor of it. Even when I do put that sarcastic inflection in there, lots of people don't get it - but some do. I'm not so sure NT's get sarcasm all that well either... unless it's a comedian on stage; that overt - look-he's-being-funny-don't-take-this-seriously clue.

If I'm unsure if someone is being sarcastic, I just ask. Plenty of people ask me so I'm assuming thats kosher.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2011, 4:06 pm

I still think it's mean. Why not just say in plain speak? iIt just upsets me as I am never sure if people are being truthfull, mean funny or all 3!

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:18 pm

I use irony all the time. It amuses me, even though people miss most of it. I'm always surprised when somebody catches it.