Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2011, 5:10 pm

so this will probably just be a a f*****g rant for my own f*****g sanity...but i just was told today that My store is going out of business at the end of march! i have worked for this company twice now...first time was for 3 years and then i came back due to the recession 2 years ago...and now almost at 2 year mark...i will be unemployed once again. THIS f*****g SUCKS! i was just starting to get some things going on some big plans i wanted to accomplish this year and now this is thrown into the f*****g mix. i want/need a better car and i was going to go back to school and start paying off some of my debts. and now this. yeah if anyone tries to tell me the economy is rebounding, i will tell them to shut the f**k up. its about the bottom line, i understand, but time and time again hardworking dedicated employees of a major international company are just thrown out the door because basically we are not making enough profit for them. and the thing is we have/were turning things around in the last year and now it all comes down to mean nothing. f*****g s**t! just another reason to move the f**k out of ohio and get a fresh start somewhere else. gotta stay positive! gotta survive! gotta have hope! and work hard! but dammit to hell!

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 5:52 pm

I hear you.

Don't.

Don't go wandering around unless you really believe you have somewhere to go. Living in your parents' basement is better than living under a bridge. Things are no better here or anywhere else.

Between Peak Oil; the Boomers on the brink or retirement; corruption in Washington and above; wars; propaganda; lies that say we are not in a deep, permanent depression... and the fact that technology eliminated all the real work a long time ago and has left us with nothing but scams and glorified welfare... It's not going to get better unless someone makes it better. Are we ready yet for the Transition? The problems are global, and the only possible solutions will be local. http://transitioninaction.com

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:56 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
I hear you.

Don't.

Don't go wandering around unless you really believe you have somewhere to go. Living in your parents' basement is better than living under a bridge. Things are no better here or anywhere else.

Between Peak Oil; the Boomers on the brink or retirement; corruption in Washington and above; wars; propaganda; lies that say we are not in a deep, permanent depression... and the fact that technology eliminated all the real work a long time ago and has left us with nothing but scams and glorified welfare... It's not going to get better unless someone makes it better. Are we ready yet for the Transition? The problems are global, and the only possible solutions will be local. http://transitioninaction.com

That looks like the Transition Town movement that's big in the UK. Looking at the posts on that board, it seems that they're all a bunch of hippies. Being a hippie is ok, it's just that it tends to come with some unrealistic viewpoints. It's so great for humanity to sit around the fire and sing kumbaya, except reality doesn't work like that. Reality is where dwindling resources spark the mother of all wars, everybody against everybody as people fight for their very survival. You don't take away mechanized food production without having NASTY wars as people try and get what food is left. The earth can only feed 3 million people. It currently has a population of 7 BILLION. That's a LOT of death. Death is not fun. People don't want to die, so they all turn into animals as they fight for life. You can't pick and choose who lives and who dies.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:36 pm

One problem is that goods can be produced with less of a workforce, for example steel factories that now require 100 employees to produce the same amount of product as 1000 once did, to quote Obama. So what happens in the limit, that a quantity of goods sufficient to meet the needs of all the people can be produced with the employment of none? Somewhere between here and there the model of having people earn their keep through salaried employment does not work anymore.

I hate to say it, but logic forces me to believe that we will become a welfare society because salaried employment is becoming an insufficient way to distribute the proceeds of business. Investment income will eventually be the main source of income, and it must be taxed and redistributed. Otherwise, the haves will have no means of selling their goods because the have-nots will not be able to buy these same goods.

Welfare does not necessarily mean that you pay someone to lounge around at home. Many people, who work full-time or have multiple part-time jobs that effectively add up to full-time employment, receive financial assistance because their earnings aren't enough to pay the bills. There just isn't enough total earn-able income available to support people who don't have investment income. Without investment income, people won't be able to save and get to the point of having investment income.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Last edited by sgrannel on 01 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 12:04 am

pezar wrote:
...Transition Town movement... Looking at the posts on that board, it seems that they're all a bunch of hippies... tends to come with some unrealistic viewpoints...
True. We need people who can translate it for working class people. People who don't attend touchy-feely seminars or weekend retreats in posh hotels. People who don't read books. The approach would have to be through the churches and bars. I can imagine it, but I don't have the personality to sell it. Nobody will listen to a geek.
pezar wrote:
...the mother of all wars, everybody against everybody as people fight for their very survival. You don't take away mechanized food production without having NASTY wars as people try and get what food is left.
The Titanic Syndrome. They figure we're going under, so grab what you can and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.
pezar wrote:
The earth can only feed 3 million people... People don't want to die, so they all turn into animals as they fight for life...
The worst part is that it's not true. We could feed ourselves, one little town at a time. But those who have the leadership talents won't let go of the fairytale and admit that it's time to start building life boats. Those who will be hit first (low income) would be easy to sell if they had any sense, but they're too busy being brainwashed and chasing after an "American Dream" that never was and never will be a reality for the masses.

Remember Sam Kinison? And other comedians like him... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN7ehccspao. (His perception was way off on that one, but it's true in other situations.) Or after the earthquake in Haiti, how people said "You live on an island -- learn to fish." From a dispassionate distance, things seem so simple.
Down here on the ground, we have to deal with ignorance, prejudice, greed, egos, superstition...
We could do it, but we would need to stop fighting and cooperate. And that can only work on a small scale.

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2011, 1:36 am

sgrannel wrote:
One problem is that goods can be produced with less of a workforce, for example steel factories that now require 100 employees to produce the same amount of product as 1000 once did, to quote Obama. So what happens in the limit, that a quantity of goods sufficient to meet the needs of all the people can be produced with the employment of none? Somewhere between here and there the model of having people earn their keep through salaried employment does not work anymore. We will become a welfare society because in the absence of salaried employment there is no other way to distribute the proceeds. Investment income will be the only income, and it must be taxed and redistributed. Otherwise, the haves will have no means of selling their goods and the have-nots will not be able to buy these same goods.

well: the probelm is that there is no limits to peoples imagination, everyone wants a castle on their own lake, the progress can mabe make all the stuff but there is a slight problem of space and all the junk that piles or worse distributs all over. Otherwise I completely agree that welfare is the way to go but somehow the reaction to crisis is go to more jobs. I tell the same story always and people do not think or understand that concept at all. I guess we are still far away from complete automation.