Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 5:33 pm

According to the Guardian, Julian Assange is going to be extradited to Sweden to defend himself against sexual charges. I still think that part of this was fabricated just to slow down Wikileaks, although it seems as if Wikileaks is now almost becoming a staple in "leaking" news (which is something that politicians probably didn't want in the first place).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/24/julian-assange-extradition-defeat

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:03 pm

Links are always helpful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12564865
Wikileaks' Julian Assange to be extradited to Sweden... will have seven days to appeal...

I can't believe what these scum bags will do, in broad daylight.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:05 pm

It was always clear to me that the sex allegations were unfounded. They had to charge him twice, right? I'm pretty sure I remember difficulty getting the charges through in the beginning for whatever reason.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:18 pm

I doubt the charges against Assange but I'm curious, what is the difference between British law regarding sexual assault and Swedish law regarding sexual assault?

I think he angered government officials and they're trying to tarnish him and through him and undermine WikiLeaks by damage his reputation. How best to make a man look bad than to accuse him of this.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:23 pm

It is obvious to all of us, but 20 years down the line, anti-Internet free speech people will cite Julian Assange as a sexual predator whenever Wikileaks is brought up (in an irrational manner, obviously, but that is what appeals to close to 50% of the US, at least), and by that time, this whole situation won't be as fresh in everyone's memory. Whether he ends up winning the case or not, they may have already won by planning in the long term like this as a means of discrediting the Wikileaks movement and Anonymous

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:40 pm

Vigilans wrote:
It is obvious to all of us, but 20 years down the line, anti-Internet free speech people will cite Julian Assange as a sexual predator whenever Wikileaks is brought up (in an irrational manner, obviously, but that is what appeals to close to 50% of the US, at least), and by that time, this whole situation won't be as fresh in everyone's memory. Whether he ends up winning the case or not, they may have already won by planning in the long term like this as a means of discrediting the Wikileaks movement and Anonymous

He could be a sexual predator. Makes no difference. US Embassy records are US Embassy records regardless of who posts them. The sexual predelictions of Assange have no bearing on the information his site provides.

This is assuming that the Swedes don't just roll over and post him to the Yanks on day one.

Butterflies
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2011, 7:41 pm

I don't think he's been extradited. It seems that he has lost the first round of an extradition case. He says that he will challenge the ruling, so there is probably still a bit of mileage in this story yet.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:43 pm

@Macbeth: I know, I agree with you. But I don't know if you've noticed how willing people on the Right are to ignore the big picture and focus on insignificant details to derail an argument. To be fair, though I say the Right, this is a common military tactic. I look at like an invasion; just bypass the strongest opposition when possible and cut off it's supply lines. Why fight the hardest battles when you can circumvent them?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:50 pm

Vigilans wrote:
@Macbeth: I know, I agree with you. But I don't know if you've noticed how willing people on the Right are to ignore the big picture and focus on insignificant details to derail an argument. To be fair, though I say the Right, this is a common military tactic. I look at like an invasion; just bypass the strongest opposition when possible and cut off it's supply lines. Why fight the hardest battles when you can circumvent them?

Yeah, I noticed, and the metaphor is apt. Kind of reminds me of the "Black Hawk Down" chap who turned out to be a paedo. Great debate as to how much that reduces his heroism or contribution to that action. The men he saved are still alive, and the guys he shot are still very dead. Should the two things be connected? (Rhetorically speaking, that is.)

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 9:02 pm

Also on the positive side, there is nothing stopping the wikileaks model being replicated by any other individual. This individual will not immediately have the smear sticking to him and neither will the individual after him and so on... So ultimately the model is impossible to discredit.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 10:12 pm

remember that movie maker now living in switzerland who in the 70's ran away from the US to avoid child rape charges?

They know where he is.. they had him once... but hey, since he did not leak vital documents he gets to stay living la vida loca in the swiss alps.

Assange oth is getting the Kremlin special: to the dungeon to get tapped in the back of the head.

I am very curious to see just what he will release. The guy isnt stupid, he's had to have kept some juicy stuff back.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Feb 2011, 10:34 pm

unleash the insurance file

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 3:51 am

Dantac wrote:
remember that movie maker now living in switzerland who in the 70's ran away from the US to avoid child rape charges?

They know where he is.. they had him once... but hey, since he did not leak vital documents he gets to stay living la vida loca in the swiss alps.

Assange oth is getting the Kremlin special: to the dungeon to get tapped in the back of the head.

I am very curious to see just what he will release. The guy isnt stupid, he's had to have kept some juicy stuff back.

Roman Polanski.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

I've also heard that unlike the UK, the Swedes have a deal going with the US and would proceed with his extradition to the States after their so called "rape affair" (which i honestly consider a little too convenient) has been dealt with.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:48 pm

phil777 wrote:
I've also heard that unlike the UK, the Swedes have a deal going with the US and would proceed with his extradition to the States after their so called "rape affair" (which i honestly consider a little too convenient) has been dealt with.

Greeeeat. That airhead Palin has on at least one occasion referenced his 'treasonous acts' (hm, doesn't one need to be an American to commit treason against the United States?)

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:07 pm

A fair trial can be just as compromised by prejudice of the innocence of the accused as prejudice of the guilt of the accused.

Sweden is a parliamentary democracy in which the rule of law exists. Perhaps we should all just let justice take its course, and allow Assange to confront his accusers in a fair and impartial forum.

If he did as his accusers claim, he deserves to be punished. If he did not, he deserves to be acquitted. His celebrity and the actions of Wikileaks should have no bearing on that process.