Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dillonski
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2011, 6:30 pm

Hi,
I am a Aspie and I find it very hard to save my money because there are lots of things that I would like to own that aren't exactly the cheapest thing in the world but before I have enough I always end up spending all my money on things that I don't exactly need e.g Accessories for my iPhone and video games that I hardly ever go on so I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on saving money to get the things that I need e.g New Laptop.

Any help would be most appreciated :D

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2011, 6:35 pm

I am terrible at saving money too. Any money I get tends to go to my interest at the time.

eudaimonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2011, 6:45 pm

Do you have a bank account, or do you use cash?

I have always been terrible at saving money too, but when I need to, I will keep cash and stash it away in a jar or a tin. I keep it somewhere out of sight, like in a drawer or under my mattress. I'll make a decision to save a certain amount out of each paycheck, and then hide it from myself so that I am not tempted to touch it.

I only deal with cash now because it is so easy to spend money that I cannot afford to spend when I am using a card. If I only bring $20 cash with me when I go out, I can't very well spend more than that.

Sometimes the best answer is the one you learned when you were five. So I'd say invest in a piggy bank of some sort. Keep the goal in mind and do not make excuses for yourself. You'll be able to do it and getting a new laptop will be doubly exciting because you'll know you were able to stick to your plan and treat yourself to something you really wanted :)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:55 pm

Maybe you could try making two lists, one of things you want and one of things you need. Whenever you're tempted to get something you want, your needs list will remind you of what you need to save your money for.

I've always been very frugal, but it hasn't been difficult for me because there is very little that I want, so I'm not sure how I could advise you.

universeofone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2011, 8:08 pm

I agree with Bee. Separating wants from needs is crucial to getting control of your finances. Assuming you can cover the needs, then prioritize how important the things on your wants list are to you.

Hope this helps,

Joe

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 8:44 pm

Well, i have a different problem, i don't know how it works really... Btu apparently, there is such a thing in Canada which is a pension for invalid people, and apparently, i'm eligible... =/ Uhm, so that's at least one solution...

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 9:17 pm

Why don't you put some money aside for the express purpose of buying whatever object it is? Think of it as a layaway.

What ever you do, NEVER use a credit card, unless you are buying travel tickets or renting a car. If you need credit, go to the bank.