Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 1:38 pm

I'm really confused here.
I don't know whether my ''manic episodes'' are typical AS outbursts, or if it's Bipolar. So I went to the doctors, and got myself assessed, and he said I do not have Bipolar at all, and it is just an anxiety slash anger disorder (which does explain a lot).
But a lot of my outbursts involve manic behaviour, like for example, (this is the embarrassing part) I have ran across the settee then across the other settee, manically abusing myself. My mum stood back and was really freaked out and she said, ''blimey, mate - you need help!'' Then I started physically beating myself up and yelling that I hate myself more than anybody else in the world (I even hate myself more than I hate the government - wankers, how dare they cut back my bus service!! !). Anyway, so I don't know if this sounds like Bipolar or just an angry AS-related outburst.
I never harm any other people or any objects when I am angry - all I do is slap myself. My anger and manic meltdowns seems to trigger off when something is worrying me and there's not a solution to it.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 2:00 pm

I don't know... it took quite a while for me to get a comprehensive diagnoses. I was thirty seven or eight (can't remember which) before I knew I'd been diagnosed autistic as a child, and thirtynine before they diagnosed bipolar, which they later modified to schizoaffective disorder. Getting the right diagnoses has made a huge difference to me, the meds were never right before. I really hope that the doctors keep looking for you... the settee thing does sound manic to me.

Oh by the way... I agree with you about the buses. I'm in a rural community, and don't drive. GRRRR!! !

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:32 pm

I don't have any anger control problems. Children with AS may tantrum, as all children tantrum, though they may do it more frequently or be more stubborn in their insistences.

I do not think adults with AS are more prone to violent outbursts, whether directed at another person or themselves, more so than the general population. There may be certain conditions which are more likely to make a person with AS visibly upset, however there are also certain conditions which are more likely to make NT' visible upset.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 5:05 pm

I think it seems that Aspies who are ashamed of having AS are more prone to anger-related outbursts than Aspies who are happy with their condition. I may be wrong, so don't personally take my word for it. It's just what it seems to me.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 6:19 pm

Honestly you probably have outbursts that are related to anger, and that can make you do crazy things. Mania tends to be more extreme and over a longer amount of time. I have looked into both of these issues myself since I have bipolar 2 and AS.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 11:28 am

Well hating myself doesn't help my anger.

shaunasy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2011, 7:10 pm

Well, then tell me, how does one navigate through life successfully? Now I realise success can mean different things to different people. I am talking about financially supporting one's self and having a sense of satisfaction with most aspects of life. I have limped along for 50 years...and to an outsider, done ok. BUT, I need additional tools or suggestions on how to organize, implement, etc....

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:08 am

shaunasy wrote:
Well, then tell me, how does one navigate through life successfully?

Well, no one knows people just go through life trying to figure it out as they go.