Do most people's eyes look "dead/empty" to anybody

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Feb 2011, 6:03 am

Aside from being painful and annoying to look at, eyes don't strike me as anything. They don't look dead, but they don't look like there's anything metaphysical going on.

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2011, 1:17 pm

I don't look people in the eye very often - I don't know why I don't, and for years I didn't realize that I wasn't doing this. I tend to stare at people's mouths when they talk or just stare past the person altogether. And whenever I try and 'force' myself to stare the person in the more focused on what I'm supposed to be doing with my eyes rather than what I'm saying to the other person...

So, as someone else said, my sample group is rather small...and honestly, as silly as it sounds, I only really discovered a lot of the muscles around my eyes recently - and work at changing expressions with my eyes (practicing in a mirror).

But, from what I can tell, most people don't look dead...though my expression with my eyes is quite blank.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 2:52 pm

I am able to make eye contact- (this was something I learned how to do, by the way). To be honest, when I´m involved in a personal interaction, I don´t see much in the eyes, unless it´s exaggerated- (like someone opening their eyes wide in surprise, for instance). I think a lot of this probably has something to do with multi-tasking problems, since I am usually so concentrated on the conversation, what I am listening to, what I have to say, etc., so therefore I have little energy left over for "eye reading". If I am watching a movie, or even observing a conversation as a third party, I am able to see more expressions in people´s eyes. However, I have discovered in the past that I am often wrong in what I think I am "picking up"- i.e., I analyze what I am seeing incorrectly often enough that there seems to be little point in trying to analyze the emotions in people´s eyes anyway. I try it out when watching movies, just as an experiment, but ultimately it is the text that gives me the biggest clues as to what´s really going on.

In any case, in answer to the original question: no, I don´t think most people´s eyes look "dead". I think people´s eyes tend to light up when they are talking about something that they really love- whether that´s God, a lover, a special interest, or whatever. I´m sure I´m the same way. At other times, the eyes may look more dull. I know I have times of intense animation, as well as down times, when I´m not really "all there". Almost as if I retreat and go somewhere else.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 2:57 pm

Eyes affront topic

Most people i look at do not seem to have any discernable expression, so their eyes look a bit blank to me. I suspect it is this way because I cannot read facial expressions.

Pictures are different.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Carla120956
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2011, 3:43 pm

People frequently tell me things like, "can't you tell by the look in my eyes that I feel __________." Well, no, I really can't. It bothers me, because I don't know why I can't. As far as I know, I'm not autistic (I have an adult son with undiagnosed Aspergers - he is able to read people's emotions in their eyes very well, but can't describe how he is able to do that). I do, however, only have one functional eye - the other is bilnd. Since I've only had one functional eye throughout my lifetime, I don't know if my vision is different than other people's or not. I can pass a driver's license eye exam, but I sometimes feel that my depth perception might be a little off. I don't even know what it is I'm supposed to be able to ascertain by the look in a person's eyes. Can anyone tell me what they actually see when looking into a person's eyes, that would help them to understand how that person is feeling? Thank you so much!

Carla120956
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2011, 3:48 pm

People frequently tell me things like, "can't you tell by the look in my eyes that I feel __________." Well, no, I really can't. It bothers me, because I don't know why I can't. As far as I know, I'm not autistic (I have an adult son with undiagnosed Aspergers - he is able to read people's emotions in their eyes very well, but can't describe how he is able to do that). I do, however, only have one functional eye - the other is bilnd. Since I've only had one functional eye throughout my lifetime, I don't know if my vision is different than other people's or not. I can pass a driver's license eye exam, but I sometimes feel that my depth perception might be a little off. I don't even know what it is I'm supposed to be able to ascertain by the look in a person's eyes. Can anyone tell me what they actually see when looking into a person's eyes, that would help them to understand how that person is feeling? Thank you so much!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 3:53 pm

i never really notice this, becouse i can't look into other eyes long and deep enough to noitice; way too painful.

however, i often get told that my own eyes constantly look drunk/stoned/both, so as far as i know, it's the other way around.

and for telling emotions; i do have a decent ability to tell them, but not from reading eyes, i just kinda 'feel' them, and it gets more accurate if i'm looking 'trough' that person, eyes out of focus...

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 6:02 pm

I find eyes piercing and overly intrusive like looking into direct sunlight. But I'm much better when I get to know somebody. It's as if I need to warm up/trust somebody before I can look closely into their eyes.