Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 9:46 am

I watched some videos about this and can't relate to the hand flapping but I saw one where a kid was lining up cans and they said that was stimming.

I remember when I was a kid sitting on my back porch lining up containers of water and poring them into each other.

I also have a thing to this day where under certain circumstances I feel compelled to look a bit to the side and check a certain spot and that annoys me.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 10:51 am

I try not to hand flap in front of other people, but at times I've done it in front of family members. Most people don't know I even do it. In public I tap my toes or fingers instead, or twist my hair.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 10:54 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
I'm diagnosed with Asperger's and I admit to having short bursts of what can be deemed "hand flapping" from time to time. It's weird. I never do it when anyone else is around, but if I get really, really happy or excited about something, I can almost *feel* the happiness/excitement bubbling up and just overtaking my body and I have to do something about it, so I usually shake my hands while holding them up near my face (and they are facing upwards, so it's "hand shaking", not really "flapping.") I can imagine that this is the way a lot of people with autism feel whenever they are happy, too, so I'm glad that many of us can articulate this feeling of over-happiness for the people who can't and consequently get stared at or chastised for expressing it.

^^yeah...that. It looks pretty weird for a woman in her 40s to do this, I am aware, so I try very hard not to do it when there are other people around, but I definitely relate to the excitement "bubbling up" and having to do something about it.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Oct 2011, 11:12 am

I do a lot of the finger flapping stuff. Upon looking at old home movies of me as a child---I did it then. I do this thumb popping thing by moving it a certain way. It's like it relieves a build-up of stuff---like a pressure cooker. When the pressure hits a certain point---stim by finger/hand flapping. Sometimes I do it voluntarily when I feel like I need to flap. And other times, it just sort of happens. I have other stims too.

shannonvan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2012, 5:31 pm

TheCicada wrote:
Since I was little, I have hand-flapped. It calms me down, and I often get upset if I cannot hold a pen, hand flap on it, and pace around. Sometimes I walk plantigrade when I do this, but often I walk digitigrade (on my tip-toes). I know this is listed as an Aspergers and Autistic trait, but I don't know that many other Aspergers people who do this. Is this more of an Autistic trait? Do any other Aspies do this?

-Mallory

My son is 8. He has Asperger's and he does this all the time. He has done it since he was about 5 months old, usually when he is excited but not necessarily stressed.

Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2012, 5:51 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
TheCicada wrote:
Is this more of an Autistic trait? Do any other Aspies do this?

It is an ASD trait that some people with an ASD have and some with an ASD do not have. This means Aspies can have it too. One of the diagnostic criteria a person with Aspergers MAY exhibit is:

(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

I'm sorry but what does complex whole-body movements mean?

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 7:56 pm

If I get excited when I talk I move my hands up and down. I consider it to be more dramatic hand gestures really. I do pace around sometimes but only if I'm bored or have to stand because I get tired of sitting.

PhilosophicTurtle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 4:45 pm

I get upset or excited, I flap my hands in front of my face. If I'm told to stop, I clamp one hand on the other and try not to think about it.

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2013, 6:22 pm

Bells wrote:
As well, I will rock back and forth when anxious or upset - though, I mostly can control this so I only do it when alone or with people I know as it doesn't look 'normal' and I always feel self conscious when it happens.

I always seem to do this. It's comfortable and calming. The tempo of the rocking depends on how I feel: if I'm upset or nervous, then fast; when calm and happy, slow. I also have other problems, so it might be that. What I do is caused by me, not my meds. My doc always check for targetdishconsesa.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 6:49 am

What IS 'hand flapping' exactly?

MusicalWonders
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2013, 7:14 am

I do it sometimes but not that often. I usually play around with things in my hands or pace.

allegrorules
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

Yes I do that as well. I guess you could say I do two kinds of hand flapping: when I'm really excited I will flap my whole hands. When I'm stressed or scared or have too much stimulation, I open and close my hands really fast with my head down and my hands above or by my head. I actually have quite a few stimms depending on the situation...

My therapist and the person I did testing with have considered that I might be more severe than aspergers so I don't know if that makes a difference.