Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheCicada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2011, 2:23 pm

Since I was little, I have hand-flapped. It calms me down, and I often get upset if I cannot hold a pen, hand flap on it, and pace around. Sometimes I walk plantigrade when I do this, but often I walk digitigrade (on my tip-toes). I know this is listed as an Aspergers and Autistic trait, but I don't know that many other Aspergers people who do this. Is this more of an Autistic trait? Do any other Aspies do this?

-Mallory

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2011, 2:54 pm

With me it wasn't so much a pen but something flimsy like a string. My parents would always take my strings or whatever away and dispose of them when I wasn't looking. This only frustrated me more, and I would end up taking shoestrings from my dads shoes lol.

I am not sure but I think anyone on the spectrum can display this.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 3:00 pm

I hand-flap.. and pace in circles... and walk on my toes... sometimes all three at the same time.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 4:31 pm

for me, its usually just my legs - i cant keep them still; is that the same thing?

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2011, 4:37 pm

StevieC wrote:
for me, its usually just my legs - i cant keep them still; is that the same thing?

If I am somewhere in public, like a restaurant, I sometimes switch to legs/toes mode.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 4:43 pm

I do it. I did it some when I was younger, stopped for about eight or nine years, and then picked it up again about six months ago.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 4:47 pm

I used to flap my right hand up and down when I was little, because I saw a picture of a magazine that was taken of a woman's legs moving down in translucent graduations and I wanted to see that with my hand as well.

TheCicada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2011, 5:45 pm

StevieC wrote:

Erm....No. That sounds more like ADHD. Not being able to sit still is not necessarily so much an Autistic trait. That's ADHD.

-Mallory

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 7:18 pm

I do this, BUT I have told people about it and other adults who are NT have told me they do it too.

TheCicada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2011, 7:55 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:
I do this, BUT I have told people about it and other adults who are NT have told me they do it too.

Hm...I've never seen a neurotypical do this. I usually get weird looks. Maybe we're not thinking of the same thing?

-Mallory

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 7:58 pm

TheCicada wrote:
MotownDangerPants wrote:

Hm...I've never seen a neurotypical do this. I usually get weird looks. Maybe we're not thinking of the same thing?

-Mallory

LOL not in public. I never do it in public either, but I hand flap and pace. not so much with the toe walking, but I do skip sometimes.

Not many people will admit to it, but some NTs have told me they do it too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 8:41 pm

Hi all I'm an NT who joined this forum to access the online resources for my ASD daughter.

I came across this thread and it reminded me that as a child I used to not only flap my hands in public but used to jump up and down on the spot like there was trampoline in front of people. I did this till at least 8 year of age. In addition I used to move horizontally when sitting on the ground or lying down and other children used to tell me to top as it was weird.
To be honest I found this was akin of vent for excess energy. As an adult I have a habit of vigorously shaking my legs....people (NTs) find this behavior irritating.

I recall I did all this unconsciously with out being aware.

chris09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2011, 8:59 pm

I hand flap as well. Not constantly but I get the urge several times a day. The other day my blinds were open and i think my neighbor saw me do it when he was walking his dog. I got a weird look lol.

What do you guys do if you can't hand flap? I have broken my left wrist twice and right wrist once. It killed me to have my hand in a cast and I did other stims like crazy to make up.

TheCicada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2011, 9:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Hi all I'm an NT who joined this forum to access the online resources for my ASD daughter.

I came across this thread and it reminded me that as a child I used to not only flap my hands in public but used to jump up and down on the spot like there was trampoline in front of people. I did this till at least 8 year of age. In addition I used to move horizontally when sitting on the ground or lying down and other children used to tell me to top as it was weird.
To be honest I found this was akin of vent for excess energy. As an adult I have a habit of vigorously shaking my legs....people (NTs) find this behavior irritating.

Okay, that's a normal child behavior, I think. What I am talking about is pacing and holding something while "flapping", almost tapping it in a way, not excitedly flapping my hands up and down...does that make any sense?

-Mallory

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2011, 9:47 pm

While I will pace and did walk on my toes off and on until I was about 14, I never have hand flapped. I will, though, shake my leg (I think that would be an approx. term for it) almost constantly. I know someone mentioned it before, but I think I will again just because of how constantly I do this.

As well, I will rock back and forth when anxious or upset - though, I mostly can control this so I only do it when alone or with people I know as it doesn't look 'normal' and I always feel self conscious when it happens.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 2:40 am

TheCicada wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Okay, that's a normal child behavior, I think. What I am talking about is pacing and holding something while "flapping", almost tapping it in a way, not excitedly flapping my hands up and down...does that make any sense?

-Mallory

I dunno, I can't say I've noticed that on a NT child, and my ASD kid flaps his hands and jumps up and down while my other child has never done this. Cyberdad, maybe you had an ASD?