Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 2:40 am

TheCicada wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Hi all I'm an NT who joined this forum to access the online resources for my ASD daughter.

I came across this thread and it reminded me that as a child I used to not only flap my hands in public but used to jump up and down on the spot like there was trampoline in front of people. I did this till at least 8 year of age. In addition I used to move horizontally when sitting on the ground or lying down and other children used to tell me to top as it was weird.
To be honest I found this was akin of vent for excess energy. As an adult I have a habit of vigorously shaking my legs....people (NTs) find this behavior irritating.

I recall I did all this unconsciously with out being aware.

Okay, that's a normal child behavior, I think. What I am talking about is pacing and holding something while "flapping", almost tapping it in a way, not excitedly flapping my hands up and down...does that make any sense?

-Mallory

I dunno, I can't say I've noticed that on a NT child, and my ASD kid flaps his hands and jumps up and down while my other child has never done this. Cyberdad, maybe you had an ASD?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 6:59 am

TheCicada wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Okay, that's a normal child behavior, I think. What I am talking about is pacing and holding something while "flapping", almost tapping it in a way, not excitedly flapping my hands up and down...does that make any sense?

-Mallory

OK maybee I didn't hold anything when flapping.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 7:01 am

nostromo wrote:
TheCicada wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I dunno, I can't say I've noticed that on a NT child, and my ASD kid flaps his hands and jumps up and down while my other child has never done this. Cyberdad, maybe you had an ASD?

Yeah I've recently taken the AQ test and I do have autistic traits. When I put 2 and 2 together it makes sense. However I'm quite good for passing for a nuerotypical nowadays except I runaway when people want to maintain friendships with me.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 10:06 am

TheCicada wrote:
StevieC wrote:
for me, its usually just my legs - i cant keep them still; is that the same thing?

Erm....No. That sounds more like ADHD. Not being able to sit still is not necessarily so much an Autistic trait. That's ADHD.

-Mallory

It can be both, depending on the reason for it. It can also be Restless Legs Syndrome (which can happen in the day too, not just the night). And a lot of other things. When I'm unable to sit still, it can be some combination of autism, (undiagnosed) mild Tourette's, and akathisia (a side-effect of my nausea pills).

Of the three, akathisia is hands-down the worst, it feels like torture and moving only relieves it a little. People given nausea meds or major tranquilizers (same general family of drugs, different doses usually) have been known (if akathisia isn't explained to them) to bolt out of emergency rooms before with no clue why they just take off running because they can't sit still and feel terrible. In extreme forms (which I used to have when on the very high doses given to psych patients) it can even cause a person to be violent. I voluntarily cut my dose of nausea meds in half just to be rid of it. (I can't take the kind that are really the same as major tranquilizers because I have had too many anaphylactic reactions, but even one of the ones I do take has similarities to them in some of the side-effects.)

Oh and I flap my hands and everything but I'm dxed autistic so you probably weren't asking me. For whatever it's worth, I know lots and lots and lots of people diagnosed with AS who do it. Some even never did it until they started hanging out with autistic people and then "caught" it from the others. (The same thing can happen with Tourette's, and it's a known phenomenon with autistic children as well, it's been used as an excuse to separate autistic children from each other under the "you're a bad influence on each other" theory... yuck.) Others have always done it. I've even seen a bunch of people sit around comparing their hand positions and the like as they flapped. (There's a great deal of variety in both finger position, and direction of the actual flapping -- up and down and side to side and things like that.)

TheCicada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2011, 11:52 am

anbuend wrote:
TheCicada wrote:
StevieC wrote:
for me, its usually just my legs - i cant keep them still; is that the same thing?

Erm....No. That sounds more like ADHD. Not being able to sit still is not necessarily so much an Autistic trait. That's ADHD.

-Mallory

It can be both, depending on the reason for it. It can also be Restless Legs Syndrome (which can happen in the day too, not just the night). And a lot of other things. When I'm unable to sit still, it can be some combination of autism, (undiagnosed) mild Tourette's, and akathisia (a side-effect of my nausea pills).

Of the three, akathisia is hands-down the worst, it feels like torture and moving only relieves it a little. People given nausea meds or major tranquilizers (same general family of drugs, different doses usually) have been known (if akathisia isn't explained to them) to bolt out of emergency rooms before with no clue why they just take off running because they can't sit still and feel terrible. In extreme forms (which I used to have when on the very high doses given to psych patients) it can even cause a person to be violent. I voluntarily cut my dose of nausea meds in half just to be rid of it. (I can't take the kind that are really the same as major tranquilizers because I have had too many anaphylactic reactions, but even one of the ones I do take has similarities to them in some of the side-effects.)

Oh and I flap my hands and everything but I'm dxed autistic so you probably weren't asking me. For whatever it's worth, I know lots and lots and lots of people diagnosed with AS who do it. Some even never did it until they started hanging out with autistic people and then "caught" it from the others. (The same thing can happen with Tourette's, and it's a known phenomenon with autistic children as well, it's been used as an excuse to separate autistic children from each other under the "you're a bad influence on each other" theory... yuck.) Others have always done it. I've even seen a bunch of people sit around comparing their hand positions and the like as they flapped. (There's a great deal of variety in both finger position, and direction of the actual flapping -- up and down and side to side and things like that.)

Thanks for the reply. That was very thorough and interesting!

-Mallory

Godless_lawyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

This is something I've done since I was a child - or at least as long as I can remember. It happens when I'm not paying attention to it, though I'd say moreso (but not necessarily always) when I'm excited about something. It can happen when I'm holding something or not, and sometimes it's quite vigourous. I often get up and pace and flap my hands, especially when I'm thinking about something difficult or confusing.

I conciously try not to display this tic in public, but I'm not always successful. In professional contexts, it sometimes requires concentration (though I usually do something else, like bounce my leg). When I've been caught doing it - which is relatively frequently - I have tried to explain it as shaking out hand cramps or loosening my wrists. I'm not sure people buy that, because I'm usually surprised when they notice (I don't realize I'm doing it) and I probably come off as pretty embarassed. One or two times, I've even told people it's a tourettes style tic, though I've never been diagnosed with anything and have never had a vocal tic.

I have never been diagnosed with any kind of ASD and I'm 32. Is it possible this is something I should be concerned about?

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

I didn't realise pacing was related to AS? I pace far to much.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

I hand-flapped pretty incessantly when I was younger. I don't remember how old I was when I stopped doing it in public, somewhere in the 8-10 range maybe.

Now I have pretty much "trained" myself only to do it occasionally in private. Most of the time I am doing other things like bouncing my leg up and down (I am actually doing this right now even though no one can see me), which can annoy people but somehow doesn't freak them out the same way.

I used to have really complex hand-flapping motions that I can't remember any more -- I literally "lost the skill by not using it" if you will.

Oh, I pace quite a bit, in fact my "natural" state might be considered to be sitting in front of a computer but I have to get up and pace around from time to time. Pacing doesn't seem to bother people that much though. A lot of my family members pace and I'm sure they're neurotypical.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

TheCicada wrote:
Is this more of an Autistic trait? Do any other Aspies do this?

It is an ASD trait that some people with an ASD have and some with an ASD do not have. This means Aspies can have it too. One of the diagnostic criteria a person with Aspergers MAY exhibit is:

(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Godless_lawyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

Complex motions - I can relate to that. My wife once caught me doing it and asked me if I was trying to cast a magic spell.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 5:06 pm

I don't hand flap, but I have other repetitive mannerisms. I personally do more finger-twisting.

Iceblast45
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

For as long as i can remember i flap my hands and jump up and down when i get excited. It can be for movies, while playing video games, or listening to music. Alot of times when i listen to music i daydream, like when i do my homework, and before i realize it ill be up jumping around/pacing in my living room. Im 13, almost 14 and control most of it in public, though some of my friends notice me shake or flap my hands when we play COD and stuff. Should i talk to my doc about it?

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2011, 8:50 pm

I use to hand flap more than I do now, but I never walked on my tip-toes. Now I clap a lot and pick at my nails/rub my fingers and hands.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 9:17 pm

I don't hand-flap, but I do walk on my toes a lot. I've noticed that I do it around my housemates sometimes and I've tried to stop, because toe walking makes my gait kind of awkward. When I was a kid I walked on my toes so much that one of my achilles tendons is permanently shortened.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

i do if i get REALLY excited. I try not to if there are other people around. Sometimes I can't help it though. If I am over stimulated and have access to water I do a hand flapping thing underwater where I relax my fingers and move them through the water fast. My fingers flutter in and out with the water and it is very soothing if I am stressed. So yes, at times, though i try not to.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 4:51 am

"(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)"

I don't think I do any of that. It's hard to remember if I did when I was a kid but now and I think then I'm more likely to be very still and not move at all.