Which books for adults with aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

edsgal
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2011, 4:15 pm

Hello.

Does anybody have any suggestions for books, websites or other that gives adults practical advice on how to approach everyday life in a less stressful way? The books I have read so far all concentrate on children and teens, I’m 42. Their content, at least to me, appears to be largely taken up by ‘what’s wrong with us’, I think I already have a fair idea what ‘others’ think is wrong with me hehe I also don’t what something that hides who I am, I’ve done that and it doesn’t work for me :o :)

What I am looking for is something that doesn’t mess around with fillers and gets straight to the point. For example: When shopping wear an mp3 player.

Thankyou, Judy

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 5:42 pm

Hmm...

Well, I'll dump some of my bookmarks here; maybe it'll help.

Two article databases:
Neurodiversity.com
Autistics.org

LB/RB blog (autism science):
Left Brain/Right Brain

AS Survival Guide:
COPING: A SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR PEOPLE WITH ASPERGER SYNDROME

Autism Hub (Blog list)

Book about kids, but helps adults too:
Congratulations! Your Child Is Strange

Autism rights forum:
Aspies for Freedom

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 5:51 pm

"Asperger's From the Inside Out" by Michael John Carley is excellent.

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2011, 5:54 pm

I like this one

"Atypical: Life with Asperger's in 20-1/3 Chapters"

By Jesse Saperstein

zcrobson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2011, 7:58 pm

Try this one.

Dr. Gaus's first book covers ASD in great detail. It's by far the best I have read. Now, or the end of April, she is coming out with a practical guide. I can't wait to read it!

Living Well on the Spectrum: How to Use Your Strengths to Meet the Challenges of Asperger Syndrome/High-Functioning Autism

Good luck.

Charlie

DiscoSoup
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2011, 10:18 pm

I second "Asperger's From the Inside Out."

edsgal
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2011, 2:13 am

Thank you so much Callista, Xeno, eddie82, zcrobson and DiscoSoup.

Out of all the suggestions, I've only read one! I am looking at the sites Callista suggested now and will keep an eye out for the books. I have just bought "Asperger's From the Inside Out." online since it had two recommendations and will look out for the others at the library first, then online.

Thankyou all again :D

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 10:52 am

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931282935

Far more practical stuff than the one you got.

edsgal
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2011, 3:33 pm

anbuend :D

Thankyou that looks exactly like the type of thing I was after. I have also ordered that one.

And thankyou again to everybody who put thought into my question :D

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 4:58 pm

Congradulations! Your Child is Strange. Needs to be REQUIRED READING to every NT parent (and honestly partners too). Seriously.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2012, 8:17 pm

Today I purchased Living Well on the Spectrum by Valerie Gaus and I am am quite impressed. It's a workbook of sorts but not like other workbooks I've looked at. Well worth the $20!!

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2012, 8:39 pm

I heartily recommend 'A Field Guide to Earthlings' by Ian Ford. It will explain all of those weird things NTs do and why they do them.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2012, 8:46 pm

XLCR wrote:
I heartily recommend 'A Field Guide to Earthlings' by Ian Ford. It will explain all of those weird things NTs do and why they do them.

I'm intrigued based on the title alone!

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 5:33 am

Aspergirls, by Rudy Simone. She's an aspie herself, it focuses specifically on females, and it's really good. I used it to help my boyfriend understand (actually, left it in the toilets for him to find ) and it reduced our fighting by half.....

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 1:24 pm

I see a lot of people have suggested books specifically for AS, and thats great.

I'd also suggest just regular books on how to handle stress. I don't know of any off hand, but there are so many books about stress management. I'd start with the library so you don't end up buying a lot of them. I'm sure that you can eventually find one with techniques that work for you.

Just like NT's, those of us with AS all respond differently, and different techniques work for different people. Deep breathing and relaxation work for a lot of people, both AS and NT, but it never did for me. What works for me is purposefully changing my thoughts at the time. I catch myself thinking something stressfull and on purpose think in my head something positive, as cheesy as it may be at the time, and continue repeating that internally until I stop remembering to and start concentrating on something else. It helps me. I found that idea in something for NT's.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 2:00 pm

Yes, I'm having a really hard time finding info in my local library (its a small town, afterall). Most of the books I found are either autobiographies from people who were SEVERLY part of the Spectrum when young. Or for parents, regarding children..
Thanks for those titles!

Matthew