Ever feel like part of your skin is wet?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 8:10 pm

I get this a lot lately, I feel as if a patch of my skin is wet or something is dripping on it. Then I go to feel it and it's of course not but it feels like it is. happens all over my body, like on my knee, forarm, shoulder, back, stomache. Kind of strange and I dont know what this would be, am wondering if it's some kind of sensory issue. Does anyone else get false sensations?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm

sometimes my extremities are ice-cold even when it's not cold any place else.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 10:46 pm

It might be sweat concentrating in those areas.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 10:53 pm

Peko wrote:
It might be sweat concentrating in those areas.

i don't believe so? seems like it should be at least a little wet to the touch and there should be some kind of heat that would make that area sweat but it is random and not in several places at once, usually just one.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 11:08 pm

I believe that the sensation of "wet" is actually a fairly specific combination of cold sensors and pressure sensors, so if those conditions are dually met whether internally or externally, it could create the illusion of a wet spot.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 7:16 am

liveandletdie wrote:
I get this a lot lately, I feel as if a patch of my skin is wet or something is dripping on it. Then I go to feel it and it's of course not but it feels like it is.

I get sensory issues with patches of skin, sometimes like the skin is damp and cold. The most common sensation is lasting pain from a patch of skin when there is no visible rash, cut or swelling. At its worst, the sensation is like the exact moment of being slapped (not the stinging afterwards, but the moment of contact), but prolonged for hours or days. It can feel like being hit with lots of little tiny hammers, over and over again. The affected skin becomes extremely sensitive to the slightest touch, change in temperature, rough clothing or drafts.

It is not hives, shingles or any other problem my doctor could identify, and has been lifelong.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 7:48 am

Could it be a loss of feeling that your brain interprets as wetness? I get that sometimes but only with internal organs. *cuckoo alert* : sometimes i can't feel my liver , for instance. And i feel a general sensation of coldness in the area. Then i change position, massage a bit, and after a while it's gone. But it does feel cold and "wet".

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 2:28 pm

StuartN wrote:
liveandletdie wrote:
I get this a lot lately, I feel as if a patch of my skin is wet or something is dripping on it. Then I go to feel it and it's of course not but it feels like it is.

I get sensory issues with patches of skin, sometimes like the skin is damp and cold. The most common sensation is lasting pain from a patch of skin when there is no visible rash, cut or swelling. At its worst, the sensation is like the exact moment of being slapped (not the stinging afterwards, but the moment of contact), but prolonged for hours or days. It can feel like being hit with lots of little tiny hammers, over and over again. The affected skin becomes extremely sensitive to the slightest touch, change in temperature, rough clothing or drafts.

It is not hives, shingles or any other problem my doctor could identify, and has been lifelong.

I get this as well, though maybe on a lesser scale.