Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 12:18 am

My first obsession happened when I was 3 and I remember it clearly. I had just fought with my mother about brushing my teeth and decided I was going to bed without brushing them. I totally won that fight, too. My dad came in to read me a bedtime story. He didn't pick up a book, though. This time, he sat on the side of the bed and began telling me a story on his own. He told me about a princess who refused to brush her teeth so eventually all her teeth fell out. She tried to talk to her fairy godmother so she could have magical teeth but her fairy godmother could not understand her, so she lasted the rest of her life without any teeth.

I got up out of bed, went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, flossed, and then brushed them again. I have been obsessed with keeping my mouth clean ever since.

How did some of your obsessions begin?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 12:40 am

If something makes me happy in a way that no other person can, I become obsessed with it. This is why you should never take away the special interests of an autistic person.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 1:00 am

do you mean as in a special interest?

DCxMagus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Mar 2011, 4:02 am

When i maxed out a turbo'd S2000 at over 178mph, that and when I killed my first Porsche 911 Turbo in the turbocharged saturn I built. Either one of those two moments could have been the defining moment when I realized taking cars to a performance level beyond what most people dream about was my passion.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 5:35 am

Topics or subjects that become obsessions and/or special interests for me are usually those that are not easily assessible. If I hear of the work of a musician or a poet who is obscure, it will pique my interest... if it turns out that this obscure figure also produced work that I like, then it will usually become a special interest for a while.

Just that fact that a topic is not well-known or not popular makes it appealing. I think that's because I have to take time to research it.. which provides more opportunites to find something about it to lock my brain onto. Widely-popular topics don't require the research. If the people around me all listen to a certain genre of music, for example, it just quickly bores me.

One of my earliest obsessions (althought not the first) was when I was about five. I would watch Julia Child on PBS and my mother would always comment on how it was the only TV show I would watch from beginning to end and I would repeat things she said and I would sometimes even imitate her hand movements.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 5:48 am

I don't have words to explain how my earliest special interests started (those from age 18 months to 5 years). They just were there. I found them cool and interesting for some reason, but I don't remember what sparked them. For later special interests, they were more about fitting my sense of humor and/or having a categorization pattern that I liked.

Nash: Is there a difference?

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 9:36 am

dyingofpoetry wrote:
One of my earliest obsessions (althought not the first) was when I was about five. I would watch Julia Child on PBS and my mother would always comment on how it was the only TV show I would watch from beginning to end and I would repeat things she said and I would sometimes even imitate her hand movements.

There are worse role models for a child to have. I think Julia Child is fabulous. :)

alone
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2011, 9:46 am

I became obsessed with tools 3 years old. Lol still obsessed with them. 4 years old I had my own set of tools and a real looking hardhat. One summer when I was 6 my mother made me lunch and I went to work everyday 2 doors down where they were building a house. My mother okayed it with the contractor and I worked on the site. Most of the time I cleaned up stuff but I remember hammering on the framing and concrete forms. I learned how to finish concrete. The contractor was the best guy in the world, it was all safe. I have tons of tools and take on huge projects...watch utube videos...and then have a go at it. I have successes and failures but this obsession has brought me much more good than harm. Tools are uber uber cool, makes me happy just thinking about them.. :) :) :) :) :) errr...go get the right tool, rent it if it is too expensive...with the right tool you can do anything :wink:

lol a bunch of obsessions all pre-5 years old...that I still have today

:)