Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Niamh
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2011, 8:54 am

I want to work on speech and communication difficulties and am torn between choosing speech therapy or speech and drama classes. I have a slight stammer, mostly at the start of sentences, then after a stammer I will talk too quickly, then most of the time I have speech blocks - kind of like a stammer but instead of going back over previous words/syllables I tend to freeze up for a moment before continuing. It's like I hold my breath, stop my voice, tighten up in the chest and my tongue goes rigid too, basically briefly stopping all the muscles I need to talk. I'm also monotone and mumbly when I talk, but don't really understand what's the right way to do intonation, and I have major issues with confidence around other people. I don't even like hearing myself speak, as though I'm afraid of my own voice, possibly somewhat related to the sensory issues.

Any ideas? Which would be better for me? Have you done either of these and would you recommend one?
Thanks!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 10:32 am

I've had speech therapy and would recommend it--you have someone work with you on your particular issues.

alone
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2011, 10:35 am

I think the best route would be speech therapy. I know some speech therapists and they are great at helping identify your issues and getting together a course of treatment. I think if you go to a drama class then it won't be as intensive, one on one, and probably not designed around your particular needs. Many times just practice and exposure won't eliminate the problem. Speech therapists will find ways to create situations that will put pressure on you to use your learned skills, test if they work. Then a drama class might be a good follow-up to strengthen the new skills and get them embedded.

:wink: