Hey, self!
Yea.
Did you read this thread?
Yea.
Well what do you think about it?
Eh.
That's all? Just, Eh?
Yea. So?
Well, do a lot of us AS types talk to themselves?
I dunno.
Yea, neither do I. Want to read another thread?
OK.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

stargazing
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2011, 12:13 am

I've read that it is definitely common with AS. I have always talked to myself quite a lot, although it is hardly ever out loud. I typically do it silently, but sometimes with my lips moving. I make certain only to do it when nobody is around, but there are some rare occasions when I will catch myself starting to do it where someone could see it.

For me, it is primarily a "rehearsal" of my end of a conversation, either of an intended conversation in the future, of one that recently happened, or one that will never happen. I will often repeat phrases or words many times to get the tone exactly right. (I just did it with this last sentence....GAH!) The way I experience it, it is essentially a form of echolalia.

samuraiBSD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2011, 12:30 am

Yes, sometimes I do. It helps me to lay problems out before myself. I usually don't do it unless I'm working on something, though, and even then, it's just mumbling. That usually gets combined with a stim...usually rocking or tearing the mucosa off the inside of my mouth repeatedly.

Funny story, once, before I worked there, I went to an Apple Store and ended up working with the Genius to fix my problem instead of him doing it for me. My mom asked "Do you all do that?" in regards to the tearing of the inside of our mouths. I thought she was referring to Mac users, but she may have just been talking about nerds in general. The Genius and I just looked at each other for a second, then went back to work.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:38 am

Yes I do it all the time, especially if I am frusterated.....its to the point where I can't even control it anymore, so I have to deal with the weird looks people give me.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 7:25 am

I do it all the time...usually quietly enough that no one hears.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

MDH1875
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2011, 11:46 pm

I talk to myself all the time. I read in a Stephen King novel, I don't recall which, where a character who talks to himself says the reason for it that the "thought process cannot be complete without articulation".

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 12:45 am

I do it all the time...my husband just ignores me...my son is just like me...but at our last place, I would be out watering the plants and every once in a while my neighbor would say "are you talking to yourself?" sigh...oh well...

Austerlust
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2011, 9:41 pm

I do this on a very frequent basis as well, never among other people though I always make sure that I am alone when I do it.
Sometimes I wisper, like after I have gone to bed at night, other times I can talk at normal volume.

Actually I have had a year of my life, the first when I was at university where I am prone to believe I talked more to myself then with all other people combined that year.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

Either I've only recently started talking to myself, or I've just recently became aware that I do. Mostly it's talking myself through tasks. The rest of the time I'm singing to myself. Sometimes I sing myself through tasks, like really boring Tom's Diner variations. :lol:

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:48 pm

I do it sometimes.

I worked with a person once that thought that if you didn't say her name, you were talking to yourself. Even if she was the only other person in the room.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:59 pm

I don't talk to myself, but I do think to myself, at least I think I do. One time someone pissed me off, and I was walking around cursing him out in my head, but then later that day someone told me that they heard me actually quietly saying it. So actually I have no idea whether I do it or not.

selin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2015, 12:16 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I talk to myself as much as possible. I think it helps me process thoughts into language, and it helps with visualization. I hate it whenever anyone comes near my space when I'm doing this, though.

Someone on an older threat that was posted to last night said that it helped one part of their brain talk to another, which sounds about right to me.

I'm exactly the same because I don't really think in words!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 6:10 pm

More info here:
viewtopic.php?t=289783

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2015, 6:16 pm

Yes, but then I got medicated.

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 8:34 pm

I talk to myself all the time. It's a good way to debate ideas, and it allows me to have someone to talk to who understands me.

Myers-Briggs: INTJ
AQ: 44

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 8:40 pm

Eric2971 wrote:
Yes, but then I got medicated.

Chemical cosh does it every time 8)