Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ikonovich
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2011, 7:54 pm

Does anyone else do this? I'm guessing that's it's a pretty common habit around here.

I was an only child, and pretty much isolated from any friends until I turned 18, with not-so attentive parents, so generally the only person worth having a conversation with was myself. As a result I talk to myself *a lot*, for some reason particularly when I'm driving or walking somewhere, but sometimes even when other people are around, although I usually hide it pretty well (I think). Usually it's first person, but I'm sometimes I break into second, like I'm talking to an invisible guy.

Since I've made a few friends and been around a lot more people I've done it somewhat less, but it's still a compulsion, to the point where I start to get very annoyed if I'm in a situation where I can't do it for too long. In training situations my battle buddies think it's weird as hell that I typically spend night guard shifts remaining separate from the group and talking to myself incessantly just to satisfy the urge.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 7:59 pm

I still need to do this. But I've gotten to the point where I only do it when I'm alone (as in the house is empty) or when I'm in my dorm... which is why I can only have a suitemate, NOT a roommate :wink:. But a fun thing I sometimes do i alter what I talk to myself about so I sound like I'm into blood/gore/torture if I get the feeling someone is listening... I'm evil now :D.

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2011, 8:53 pm

yes i do this all the time, in the car, at home, in the shower, late at night, in the morning, when im angry, when im sad, just so i dont lose my sanity or some s**t. oh and i do it at work too. most of the time i dont get caught and people just go along with it if they hear me. and im doing it right now as one of my old high school gfs has just started chatting with me on fb. and let me tell you the conversation is less entertaining than the conversations i have with myself. fb...the lazy ass i really dont care to talk to you but im bored and you're online form of communication BS.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 8:57 pm

Maybe when I was younger but I'm pretty quiet, everything for me happens internally.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 9:03 pm

Im always talking and bitching to myself

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Mar 2011, 9:16 pm

I talk to myself as much as possible. I think it helps me process thoughts into language, and it helps with visualization. I hate it whenever anyone comes near my space when I'm doing this, though.

Someone on an older threat that was posted to last night said that it helped one part of their brain talk to another, which sounds about right to me.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2011, 9:54 pm

I talk to myself, but I'm able avoid being caught doing so in public. I realize that there are some people who feel uncomfortable being around people who talk to themselves, so I control that behavior when I'm in public. Inside the privacy of my home or car, I can talk all I want.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 9:58 pm

Ikonovich wrote:
. . . In training situations my battle buddies think it's weird as hell that I typically spend night guard shifts remaining separate from the group and talking to myself incessantly just to satisfy the urge.

Could you buddies understand, okay, sure, you march to your own drummer, so be it, you're still a dependable guy.

When I have a lot of social "on" time, I feel an increasing strong need to be alone so I can let my hair down and just be myself. I like to be in the house by myself where I can fix food, talk to myself, watch TV, read. Sometimes I also stim as I move a soft T-shirt in my hands and imagine sports or movie scenes (I periodically experiment with screenwriting). And on and off during this same time, I might be making rather intellectual posts or reading and studying an intellectual topic.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 09 Mar 2011, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:02 pm

Me too, especially in the car. At the pizzeria where I used to work, everyone talked to themselves. The place was hubub, especially during rushes. They probably did it to keep their heads straight. I like to talk to myself to work out a problem or something. It's nice to tangent.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:06 pm

jamesongerbil wrote:
. . . At the pizzeria where I used to work, everyone talked to themselves. The place was hubub, especially during rushes. They probably did it to keep their heads straight. . .

That's kind of cool. :D So, they did this to remind themselves that the pizza was all pepperoni, half mushroom, that kind of thing?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

Code Monkeys 8)

Ikonovich
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2011, 10:09 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Ikonovich wrote:
. . . In training situations my battle buddies think it's weird as hell that I typically spend night guard shifts remaining separate from the group and talking to myself incessantly just to satisfy the urge.

Could you buddies understand, okay, sure, you march to your own drummer, so be it, you're still a dependable guy.

Yeah, they know I've always got their backs and that I'm good at my job, so no one makes a big deal out of it. I'm far from the only eccentric person in the Infantry...Something about your job being to go toe to toe with religious fanatics in desert hellholes just attracts crazy. I can't imagine why /sarcasm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:14 pm

That's good! So there's good crazy, and bad crazy. And a little bit of craziness helps keep you sane. :D

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:17 pm

Ikonovich wrote:
Does anyone else do this? I'm guessing that's it's a pretty common habit around here.

I was an only child, and pretty much isolated from any friends until I turned 18, with not-so attentive parents, so generally the only person worth having a conversation with was myself. As a result I talk to myself *a lot*, for some reason particularly when I'm driving or walking somewhere, but sometimes even when other people are around, although I usually hide it pretty well (I think). Usually it's first person, but I'm sometimes I break into second, like I'm talking to an invisible guy.

Since I've made a few friends and been around a lot more people I've done it somewhat less, but it's still a compulsion, to the point where I start to get very annoyed if I'm in a situation where I can't do it for too long. In training situations my battle buddies think it's weird as hell that I typically spend night guard shifts remaining separate from the group and talking to myself incessantly just to satisfy the urge.

I don't have any siblings either and I talked to myself throughout childhood. I felt compulsed to do so, too, but have given up said compulsion.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:18 pm

Matchbox 20
" . . . me, talking to myself in public, dodging glances on the train . . . "

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GebPvlqgxy4[/youtube]

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 10:23 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I talk to myself as much as possible. I think it helps me process thoughts into language, and it helps with visualization. I hate it whenever anyone comes near my space when I'm doing this, though.

I talk to myself/think out loud all the time for precisely this reason. :)

Last edited by dunbots on 09 Mar 2011, 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.