Theory: AS lack of street-smarts due to lack of options

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2011, 3:31 pm

I disagree and I wrote about this somewhere else on the forum the other day.
I tend to sometimes look for people that I can identify with and that basically means everyone who stands out and unfortunately, in that crowd of people, are very often also those who may see my naive ways as tempting and something they can use.I think those ones out there who are real bad apples may sometimes have like a radar for people who tend to be too trusting and no, I usually dont see it until they have already run me over like a bulldozer..
I may excuse some odd behaviour and relate to some because some of mine is odd and because of that, the fact that I indentify myself with them on some level, make it harder for me to see that they dont have my best in mind.
However, MOST neurotypical people I dont have a "problem" with, they just usually arent interesting to me, Im not to them and we dont have much to talk about or atleast we dont communicate the same way, but most of them are harmless.
Put me in the same room as someone narssisistic, antosocial, borderline or histrionic or someone who has traits that resemble those of cluster B and I wont see it until its too late,
and they on the other hand, might spot me immediately.That can be dangerous to me and I may interpret their interest (when overly interested ) as just a bit socially awkward, when it in fact is because they have entirely other plans in mind, knowingly or not.

There have also been other situations, with men for instance, when I thought of someone as just friendly, when in fact they had in mind other things than just being my friend, and in situations where I was not inerested in anything than being their friend, I would still talk to them as a friend, because I couldnt figure out why I shouldnt, only to later realise that wow, he must have thought that he was completely successful in his first attempts of the game, trying to get physical, but since I wasnt interested, the outcome would still be of a negative one for them, but it makes me wonder, how I would have interpreted the situation, had I been interested.
When someone is a "bit too much" I may react if it scares me and I dont fully like the person, but would it still have the same outcome if I liked them? Probably not.

Its a painful way of learning, or rather, not learning as some things still completely pass me by.

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2011, 5:26 pm

daspie wrote:
Chickenbird wrote:
I totally agree, I think you nailed it.

Hubby was always saying to me

1. I hate/d your friends, they are so creepy
2. You are lonely because you are too fussy

Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

Are you agreeing with my post or the OP.

Sorry, edited to show it was the OP.
Directness *rocks* :)

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 11:33 pm

I'm generally distrustful of those around me. I don't have many friends because not many people that I know are smart enough to comprehend my interests.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 12:01 am

I can often spot untrustworthy people (not always by a long shot, but when I notice, boy do I notice). My problem isn't that I'd take companionship for them over aloneness (I totally wouldn't in a million years), but that due to training I have received, I feel compelled to be "polite" to them and "give them a chance" to walk all over me before I decide they're actually doing it. I'm getting better at listening to my gut. (But as I said in another thread, my gut has been described by others as far more finely-tuned than most people's.) When it tells me something very clearly, it is rarely wrong, and I've noticed that it's especially correct about danger signals in others (when it notices them at all, which isn't always).

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Mar 2011, 12:37 am

anbuend wrote:
I feel compelled to be "polite" to them and "give them a chance" to walk all over me before I decide they're actually doing it.

I have this problem a lot. This is what happened with that group I wrote about wrt "pretending to be nice". I've cut off all contact at this point, but I gave them so many chances to run roughshod over my boundaries and try to convince me to play along with their manipulative games.

I should have learned better by now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 3:46 am

Mar1976 wrote:
I also don't create options[/b]

how does one create options? how does one create anything out of thin air?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Mar 2011, 4:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
Mar1976 wrote:

Creó ex nihilo.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 4:49 am

Verdandi wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Mar1976 wrote:

Creó ex nihilo.

Creó sententiam ex nihilo? Tamen quam does unus operor is, ut suscipio per?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 4:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Mar1976 wrote:

Creó ex nihilo.

Creó sententiam ex nihilo? Tamen quam does unus operor is, ut suscipio per?

Propono ab initio implens in medio, dando bonum finem.

The above is probably wrong. Blame google. :?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 5:09 am

Verdandi wrote:
Propono ab initio implens in medio, dando bonum finem.

The above is probably wrong. Blame google. :?

translated somewhat imperfectly, you said "Display counting from beginning content upon to heal dando good territory." running this again through the same translator, yields the following:
"Propono a orsa impleo super sano dando bonus tractus"; which when re-translated back into english, results in-
"Display a beginning content over, upon to heal dando good a dragging."

now please tell me what you originally said in english, "si vos commodo, per mellis in is, meus amicus?"

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 5:18 am

"I suggest starting from the beginning, filling in the middle, and giving it a good finish." I should have tried for an actual latin sentence structure.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 5:22 am

Verdandi wrote:
"I suggest starting from the beginning, filling in the middle, and giving it a good finish." I should have tried for an actual latin sentence structure.

gosh, my cat knows more latin than i do :oops:
anyways, but what if a person has nothing with which to begin with, nor anything to fill the middle or cap the end? just wondering...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 6:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

gosh, my cat knows more latin than i do :oops:
anyways, but what if a person has nothing with which to begin with, nor anything to fill the middle or cap the end? just wondering...

When I find myself in that situation I don't post anything.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 8:48 am

Verdandi wrote:

and that is why a hermit becomes a hermit. and why do many hermits converse with themselves? probably for the same reason that the caged bird still sings.

tskin1
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2011, 9:14 am

Quote:
NT's don't have to suffer to earn street smarts. We do.

Believe it or not some of us NT people also get screwed, also get used, also deal with people who are fake or who appear to be somthing they aren't.. while it is true that most of us probably have more people to choose from it doesn't mean we're immune to suffering or that the ignorant among us dont seek us out only to destroy our spirit as well.

I think to a certain degree at least for the average NT it has to do with extravert/intravert personality as far as how many we have to choose from.

I do as one poster put look out for the underdog, constantly run into the worst of people who on the outside seem to be fantastic.. I also get stabbed in the back.. I also form great friendships only to find out that this person isn't worth the time spent...it is possible that your running into simply the "wrong people" as am I??.

cooincidentally i wasn't offended by your post but I do think it's unfortunate that all NT people are lumped into one group who apparently are fantastically social, street smart and happy.. it just isn't the case.

Mar1976
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2011, 1:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

and that is why a hermit becomes a hermit. and why do many hermits converse with themselves? probably for the same reason that the caged bird still sings.

I really expected better from people on this forum......clearly I was wrong.

I'm relatively new here, trying to get my head around AS and only here to try to gain a bit of insight.

I've posted, rarely (probably), in comparison to some members on here and only to share a few of my own experiences if the threads happen to be relevant to me; if they aren't I don't post.

I'm still getting to grips with taking part in online forums (I have done so in the past), but it seems I also have online AS, so I probably don't come across very well.

I've read it back and I agree it doesn't make much sense, fair enough. I'm notoriously bad at editing myself and do tend to go on, it's just my way and I can't get out of that habit, just like now!

My comment about 'not creating options' was a reflection of where I am now, I don't go out of my way to meet people because my confidence has been shattered beyond recognition and this is directly as a result of the way certain people have treated me in the last 4 years.
You can create opportunities from nothing with other people if you have the social tools to do so, (isn't that how many people discover friendship, love etc?). I don't have those tools and never have, but I have tried to hone and mimick those skills in the past, sometimes succesfully and sometimes not. But now that my confidence has done a runner, I have no motivation to even try. So I don't create options.

Just because I currently have no options and don't have the confidence to create any, does not mean I'm a hermit. I've really had enough of people assuming things about me in real life, so to have it on a faceless forum, really isn't helpful.

If you're going to quote someone then criticise their comments, the structure of their post, or the lack of pertinent comments to the thread, please have the decency to say it directly to the person and not have a conversation between yourselves on the same thread; I'm right here!

If I'm being paranoid, please tell me and explain your comments.
I suspect I won't get a reply to this.......