Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 4:56 pm

I'm interested in knowing where AS begins and ends, and also where other things, like life experience (not related to AS), upbringing and bodily chemistry come into play.

So, what would you say are your positive, negative and neutral characteristics, those that you think you would have even if you weren't on the autistic spectrum? I know this is a tough question. I tried untangling my personality traits from the AS ones:

Positive
I understand that other people are only human beings, but that doesn't mean I take crap from them.
I suffer genuine fools gladly compared to many people, it's the bullies and willfully ignorant people I can't suffer.

Neutral
I don't like compromise on standards. I believe in doing something properly or not doing it at all. I don't think this is an AS trait, just a trait that some people have and some don't.

Negative
I'm really grumpy and pessimistic. This is possibly related to depression, but I believe I would be like this had I never had depression, or an ASD. I am almost comically grumpy.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 10 Mar 2011, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eudaimonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2011, 5:52 pm

I'll adopt your frame as it is common to much of my way of classifying as well..

Positive pressure systems: I am sensitive to people's perspectives and attempt to understand the workings of universal forces of conditioning in/on each of us. I am attentive to the words of others and listen on multiple levels. I do not form overly critical opinions of others. I accept that humans are responsible for themselves only to the extent that they claim that responsibility as their own.

Neutral: I am honest, and will freely admit my shortcomings. I make no pretense at knowing more than I do. I understand much more than I am able to communicate. My style of communication at times has me leaping from one topic to the next without breaking down the details (very big-picture thinking) and simultaneously invites picking over very small issues such as word epistemology, phrasing, context, perspective parsing (extremely detail oriented).

Negative: I am overly critical of the workings of other personalities, though usually out of genuine curiosity / interest. I am overly critical of myself and do not demonstrate the usual methods of word parsing to build self up. Could be associated with bad posture.. I am anxious, overly obedient, at times inattentive, probably more but I would rather not let that voice do all the talking.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 5:52 pm

Positive:
I know what I like and I won't let anybody tell me otherwise.

I have a mind of my own, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Neutral:
I worry a lot about my friends if I know they're having a rough time.

Negative:
I hold grudges for a long time if I feel that a blood relative has done me wrong.

I also worry too much about money.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 6:06 pm

Positive:
I am my own person and follow my own path. I like asking questions and finding out answers. I enjoy a good mystery. I can get deeply involved with hobbies or subjects. I like to study and analyze. I don't gossip about others or play games. I can entertain myself/don't rely on others for it. I can hyperanalyze and have refined understanding of concepts. I am psychic, at times.

Neutral:
This one's tough...hmm...I acclimate easily to cold air.

Negative:
It's hard to get motivated to do stuff I don't want to do. I can be stubborn. I tend to look foreboding or unhappy without even trying. I don't have good luck when it comes to other people.

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2011, 6:40 pm

Positive I am a confident extrovert, likely to be the person absailing down a building. :D

NeutralNot paying enough attention to NT's. :roll:

NegativeFail to have fear of any situation. :bounce:

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

Positive:

Creative yet detail oriented. I almost always finish what I start.

Neutral:

In person, I can be inscrutable and hard to get to know unless I click right away with the person when I first meet them.

I'm outgoing online and very passionate about my special topics, but otherwise am very outwardly reserved which often surprises people.

Not prone to jealousy or possessiveness.

Negative:

I never forgive the wrongs done to me.

I don't trust most people, regardless of past performance or track record.

I have a small heart and can only feel deep attachment, etc. for 1-2 people in my life at a time.

INTJ.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 7:52 pm

This is hard, since the list of female asd traits fits me so completely that i struggle to see my personality outside of it...but I'll try:
Positive: I'm optimistic. I've had occurences of depression, but they are not part of my personality at all, I am a joyful person who believes whatever low you reach, life will surprise you and lift you up again.
I'm funny. It may not transpire here so much, but I really am !

Neutral: I don't worry much. it can be good or bad depending on the situation, some things need to be dealt with and sometimes I let them slide because I'm not worried, and I really shouldn't....But the rest of the time, it just keeps stress at bay.

Negative: I feel like I lack patience sometimes, especially with my children. Not sure it's related to autism, but I wish I was stronger than this. I can be very judgemental. I have a quick wit that strikes back when i feel attacked, and sometimes it's not so witty :P I try to keep it under control on this board, and generally I don't feel attacked here as much as in real life, but when i do my brain gives the reins to my anger and it takes control...Still learning to shut up :)

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 8:36 pm

Positive
Confidence - to the point of arrogance at times, but I have great self-confidence and confident of what I do.
Resourceful - can see alternative uses for things, and look at situations from a million angles for solutions.
Hopeful - I whine a lot, but underneath I'm still very chipper, rarely depressed or sad, and always think things will get better.
Open-minded - I always want to see other ways of doing things or seeing things, although how many people say they're closed-minded?

Neutral
I don't tend to get jealous or wound-up easily.

Negative
Stubborn - I really will not give way over anything at all.
Bad tempered - I'm easily irritated, I don't get angry but very bad tempered.
Impatience - I really can't tolerate other people taking their time.
All my negative traits I share with my mother, I thus blame her, lol.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 8:58 pm

POSITIVE

-I'm fun-loving

-I have a good sense of humour

-I'm energetic

-I'm sweet

-I'm creative

NEUTRAL

-I fall right in the middle of pessimistic and optimistic

NEGATIVE

-I worry too much

-I'm over emotional

-I'm super messy and disorganized

-If I'm not interested in something or have a lot to do, I want do it at all

-I can be stubborn

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 9:27 pm

Positive: I'm optimistic and try my best to be cheerful most of the time. I'm a very hard worker when I set my mind to something. I try to see the world from different points of view. I'm very loyal to people I know and trust.

Neutral: I spend a lot of time by myself. I'm sensitive to my environment.

Negative: I have trouble with long term planning. I'm stubborn. I tend to get locked into one way of doing something. I sometimes worry about the silliest things.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 12:21 am

Positive
I have gotten better at controlling meltdowns
I will champion animal rights
I am not afraid to voice a complaint
I have been able to make "predictions" about people using logic and knowledge of their past actions with suprising results
I have been doing my best to make small talk with strangers

Neutral
I will be helpfull if no one else is around that a stranger can reley on
I refuse to take part in group bullying at work

Negative
I will get in someone's face to threaten and bully them when angered
I always seek revenge
I am too quick to fight
I trust no one
I am certain I will die alone without anyones knowledge. They will know I am dead when they get the stench from my corpse
I have never hugged or kissed my parents even when I was little
I have used other people to cause trouble against people I do not like by spreading rumors and lies

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 12:49 am

positive: i never have any negative thoughts about myself.

neutral: i never have any thoughts about myself

negative: i never have any positive thoughts about myself.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 1:02 am

Positive

I am very non-confrontational with people. I never get into any fights or fierce altercations with anybody. I go out of my way to make sure that I don't offend anybody.

Neutral

I tend to be very reclusive.

Negative

When I said that I am very non-confrontational, that can be a negative trait as well. I have a hard time asserting myself sometimes. I tend to get angry and frustrated easily. I hold grudges. I have a lot of anger and hatred toward some people.