Tsunami hits Japan after 8.8 magnitude Earthquake : (

Page 8 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 8:12 pm

There is now a fourth fire burning at the Fukushima Plant.

A radiation leak has occured. Radiation levels in the immediate vicinity appear to be rising.

From this I believe it is reasonable to think that a containment breach has occured.

Meltdown, here it comes?

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 10:28 pm

Seems like things are taking a turn for the worse now.

Reactor 3 is smoking and is suspect of containment vessel failure. Radiation has got to the point of being too dangerous for the remaining personnel to stay and they have evacuated.

Reactor 3 is the one with the MOX fuel BTW. :hmph:

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 11:17 pm

I was told the Japanese government has pulled the 50 workers left at the plant, and leaving the plant desolate. The evacuation is something like 60 miles from the plant .. which is understandable considering the gamma ray bursts from a complete and utter explosion would cause havoc within that vicinity. After 5 days, the Japanese government have asked the US military to intervene, I've read that the military may carpet bomb the entire site. Also I've read that Japan has been keeping the spent nuclear fuel rods at the same site, and they've blown sky high also, 40 years worth.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 12:29 am

It can't explode. At least not the way you're apparently thinking, in an atomic fireball. Power plants use the wrong isotope of uranium, the reaction mass isn't the requisite shape, there's no TNT blanket to slap the whole thing together fast enough - it just doesn't work as a bomb.

Spent fuel is even worse for that - the radiation levels are high enough to be hazardous, and give off enough heat to be dangerous and potentially flammable to a degree, but they have even less potential as the nucleus of an atomic bomb than unspent fuel.

Why in the name of sanity would anyone carpet-bomb a power plant?? That'd make about as much sense as dropping napalm bombs on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig - maybe even less, as the napalm might have burned off some of the spilled oil...

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 12:52 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
It can't explode. At least not the way you're apparently thinking, in an atomic fireball. Power plants use the wrong isotope of uranium, the reaction mass isn't the requisite shape, there's no TNT blanket to slap the whole thing together fast enough - it just doesn't work as a bomb.

Unfortunately, It's worse then that. Reactor number 3 had Mox fuel. Plutonium/Uranium mix and that's being catapulted into the atmosphere. The situation is already worse than Chernobyl and it's showing no signs of getting better. Reactor 4 has also shown signs that it blew up.

I would advise fellow readers to periodically look at the radiation map that's tracking radiation in the US , and the earthquake trends. Also, It would be wise to stock up on food and water , just in case it does pose a serious threat.

Radiation map

Earthquake tracking

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 12:57 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
That'd make about as much sense as dropping napalm bombs on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig - maybe even less, as the napalm might have burned off some of the spilled oil...

I'm in agreement with all of your statements, but actually, making an explosion next to an oil well fire is a proven way to put it out, as the explosion instantly cuts off oxygen to the fire. But dropping bombs on a nuclear plant that is at risk? That is just plain crazy

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 1:03 am

Vigilans wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:
That'd make about as much sense as dropping napalm bombs on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig - maybe even less, as the napalm might have burned off some of the spilled oil...

I'm in agreement with all of your statements, but actually, making an explosion next to an oil well fire is a proven way to put it out, as the explosion instantly cuts off oxygen to the fire. But dropping bombs on a nuclear plant that is at risk? That is just plain crazy

Maybe that's what they're planning. I'm just reiterating what I'm hearing. Also, It'd be nice if things actually did get better instead of continually getting worse while the governments are covering it up.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 1:11 am

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:

Maybe that's what they're planning. I'm just reiterating what I'm hearing. Also, It'd be nice if things actually did get better instead of continually getting worse while the governments are covering it up.

Big difference in situation. Oil well fire and nuclear accident... Dropping bombs on a nuclear reactor would just lead to extreme environmental contamination. I know you're just reiterating though so don't take it that I'm attacking you :D

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 1:20 am

Vigilans wrote:
Raymond_Fawkes wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:

Big difference in situation. Oil well fire and nuclear accident... Dropping bombs on a nuclear reactor would just lead to extreme environmental contamination. I know you're just reiterating though so don't take it that I'm attacking you :D

I don't know what I would do if that situation was brought into my midst. 40 years of spent fuel rods being blown up into smoke .. certainly pouring water from planes onto the reactors which they're doing now won't help.. I guess we'll see how things develop, hopefully for the better. I've seen a photo of the fire in reactor number 4 being put out, hopefully the whole thing will be it's only been 5 days.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 3:53 am

Where on earth are you getting your information from? 8O

I'm getting mine from my husband who is a nuclear scientist. He says the biggest threat at the moment is the hysteria. Take that video someone posted earlier. My husband was actually laughing watching it because the guy was so wrong. It was more comedy than science. Not only that but the bloke was lying. If he had taken a dose of iodine of the recommended level for radiation exposure he would not be sat there chatting like he was. He'd have his head down the bog, puking his guts up. Plus, contrary to what he suggests, you should never give iodine to children unless under strict medical supervision. Oh and iodine is not disappearing off the shelves in Europe. I can vouch for that.

My husband says it isn't a good situation but the only real threat to human life is to those inside the exclusion zone. But even then, based on the last radiation level figures given out, you could be there for nearly 2 weeks before receiving a fatal dose.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 4:06 am

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:

Wow!
I didn't know that there are so many nuclear sites in the U.S.A. too 8O

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 9:48 am

I wouldn't take potassium iodine unless it was confirmed that Japan's fallout poised a significant threat and radiation levels did sky rocket. I'm hoping it gets better for the Japanese , my friend in outside Tokyo said things are getting somewhat normal , her child went to school for half a day today

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
Where on earth are you getting your information from? 8O

I'm getting mine from my husband who is a nuclear scientist. He says the biggest threat at the moment is the hysteria. Take that video someone posted earlier. My husband was actually laughing watching it because the guy was so wrong. It was more comedy than science. Not only that but the bloke was lying. If he had taken a dose of iodine of the recommended level for radiation exposure he would not be sat there chatting like he was. He'd have his head down the bog, puking his guts up. Plus, contrary to what he suggests, you should never give iodine to children unless under strict medical supervision. Oh and iodine is not disappearing off the shelves in Europe. I can vouch for that.

My husband says it isn't a good situation but the only real threat to human life is to those inside the exclusion zone. But even then, based on the last radiation level figures given out, you could be there for nearly 2 weeks before receiving a fatal dose.

I was just reading random articles , and my friend was acting like it'll be worse then it appears to be. Your husbands probably right then I hope.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 12:40 pm

It's not worse than Chernobyl. The worst-case scenario is not worse than Chernobyl.

No, the reactors cannot explode.

No, the radiation will not reach areas outside Japan.

It is a serious problem, but it is not a doomsday scenario and can never be one.

If you are in the US, you do not need to be worried for your family; we are simply too far away. We are not too far away to help, though; there are quite a few reputable relief organizations already in Japan and working on keeping people warm, fed, and safe.

CNN made available a quick rundown of the people currently helping, who would appreciate your donations:
Tsunami Aid and Relief: How You Can Help

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

seaside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2011, 2:26 pm

I have been following the Japan situation since 4am the day of the earthquake/tsunami, and have learned a lot of details about nuclear power and radiation.

Here there was a conference at MIT with panelists including someone conferencing in from Geneva. Two of my former colleagues attended and posted their summaries and thoughts for the rest of us on our mailing list. The main disappointment they seemed to have is that nobody on the panel seemed to have inside news or any more updated information than any of the rest of us; they just explained the science and so forth. I could post sections of the synopsis if you wish.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 2:58 pm

seaside wrote:
I have been following the Japan situation since 4am the day of the earthquake/tsunami, and have learned a lot of details about nuclear power and radiation.

Here there was a conference at MIT with panelists including someone conferencing in from Geneva. Two of my former colleagues attended and posted their summaries and thoughts for the rest of us on our mailing list. The main disappointment they seemed to have is that nobody on the panel seemed to have inside news or any more updated information than any of the rest of us; they just explained the science and so forth. I could post sections of the synopsis if you wish.

The only source of immediate inside news are the authorities in Japan. If they are not talking and if it is not obvious that the containment at Dai-Ichi Fukushima is breached you are not likely to hear anything more.

ruveyn

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 11:44 pm

The news has been surprisingly calm today regarding the nuclear situation over in Japan but I will still lose sleep over it. You never know what insanity is likely to happen at those plants tomorrow.