Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Autumn_Shade
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2006, 5:28 pm

Hey...Is there any one who has any thoughts on Kurt Cobain and the possibility that he may have had Aspergers instead of Bi-Polar??
AS was not recognised officially until 1994, which was the year he died. So he could have easily been misdiagnosed.
If you look at his childhood/adolescence he was socially withdrawn and obsessed with music.

I think he was a musical genius, which would fit AS perfectly.
Just wondering....

Emoal6
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2006, 5:34 pm

very possible, though its like the speculation that einstein and many others could have been. Its all based on everyone elses perceptions and what was characterized.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2006, 6:13 pm

I kinda have a hard time believing he actually had Asperger's per se just because artistic types are generally like that - I think its more likely he was just an NT with traits. A lot of the same traits mind you can spring from things like bi-polar, OCD, or general introversion even. With a lot of the music I'm into you see a lot of the big innovators, people like Goldie, Mark EG, Plastikman, etc. who also seem to have a bit of flare themselves but its almost more like they're occupying a similar headspace without necessarily having it (though from what I've heard about interviews with Richie Hawtin aka. Plastikman it's possible he himself might be mild AS - much less likely with the other two).

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2006, 7:10 pm

[I maybe dumb but I'm not a dweeb
I'm just a sucker with no self-esteem]

I'm not sure what song this excerpt comes from but I think it's one of Nirvana's songs but I'm not sure which one. Maybe some of you could help me here.

Whatever it is, it sure sounds like an Aspie's narrative :wink:

http://nirvana.lyrics-songs.com/

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

jman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2006, 7:37 pm

Quote:
[I maybe dumb but I'm not a dweeb
I'm just a sucker with no self-esteem]

thats not nirvanna thats offspring

CurbRider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2006, 2:02 am

owned

Autumn_Shade
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2006, 6:40 pm

Emoal6 wrote:
very possible, though its like the speculation that einstein and many others could have been. Its all based on everyone elses perceptions and what was characterized.

Yes, that is true...although if you read his journal, it to me, seems to have lots of 'clues'. For example it has wonderful imaginative stories, reference to his differing obsessions, (medical textbooks one part) drawings of the left-handed guitar he was designing, sketches for T shirts, and his concepts for the Nirvana Video's etc. etc.
Here is one extract I find somewhat interesting:
"Hi, I played the snare drums in school band from grades five to nine. During this time I didn't bother learning how to read sheet music, I just waited for the geek in first chair to learn each song then I simply copied him. I managed to do well without ever having to read music. It took me 5 years to realize how rhythmically ret*d I was as a drummer, so I sold some off my fathers guns then used the money to purchase my first six string electric guitar. I learned everything I needed to know from one week of lessons (from his uncle) which resulted in the famous musical knowledge of the louie louie chords" (Kurt Cobain Journals, pg 271.) This extract goes on with how he taught himself to play different songs, but that he realised he needed to write his own songs if he wanted to be any good.
:)

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 7:11 pm

jman,

Thanx for the correction. The song is called Self-Esteem by The Offspring. The sound and style are very Nirvana-like.

http://offspring.lyrics-songs.com/lyrics/29144/

The lyrics do read like a gf I had a very long time ago. I'll add it to my collection of Aspie songs :wink:

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

car_crash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jul 2006, 8:00 pm

not only do i not think he had it, i feel as if it cheapens my own life and the struggles ive had to say he did. But people need their positive role models i guess

Autumn_Shade
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2006, 10:23 pm

car_crash wrote:
not only do i not think he had it, i feel as if it cheapens my own life and the struggles ive had to say he did. But people need their positive role models i guess

Ohh..ok, I'm not trying to upset anyone, just exploring a theory. :wink:
I'm curious tho', as to how you feel it cheapens your own life and experiences by suggesting that he may have had AS instead of Bi-polar?
Sorry if I am being insensitive..:cry:

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 7:43 am

Kurt Cobain had everything wrong with him.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 5:20 am

He was on Ritalin as a child.

No wonder he turned out like he did.